Question about gaining experience - SailNet Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff_H

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-10-2018 Thread Starter

Question about gaining experience

Grew up on Kent Island. Sailed before Uncle Sam tried to draft me (I joined before being “forced in”). Now retired (twice!) and have some free time. Took 101, 103 and 104. Loved it. Ready for more. Would like to help with crewing, deliveries, etc. The ASA site lets skippers advertise for crew but I haven’t found a site where a guy can advertise to crew. Any suggestions? Dingus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-10-2018

Re: Question about gaining experience

Some suggest hanging around on race night. One of my local marinas/ clubs has a non sailor option with fee like 25$. I assume that can get you on a boat as crew for races. I work that night so havn't been. Others say they have trouble finding people to go with on any random day so putting yourself out there might help. Meetup.com has some boat groups you can get to know people. Some suggest hanging around the dock or marinas (again to meet all those people who can't find anyone to go with). Clubs also have regular memberships for people without a boat for reduced cost. Once i take the keel boat class i intend to exchange numbers or give mine to everyone in the class. I'm looking for someone to sail dinghies out of Norwalk and Longshore now and then. Must be spry and able to duck under the boom regularly.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-10-2018

Where do you live? That will have a lot to do with it. There are sailors from all over on here so if you let us know where you are someone might suggest a club you can join or hang out at to get on a boat.

When I lived in San Diego i could sail 100 days a year without having a boat, between meetup and racing. If there is a meetup near you, you can join as a skipper and get people to help share cost of you renting a boat. I built up a lot of experience that way.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jephotog For This Useful Post:
john61ct (07-10-2018), TMK (07-10-2018)

post #4 of 8 Old 07-10-2018

Yes hang out at an active racing location, volunteer as ballast to start

Do not pay for the privilege, they should be paying you (but they don't 8-)

Get to know the liveaboard or frequently sailing skippers.

Sailing school instructors

Especially delivery captains and the guys who care for boats while the owner's away.

I lived on Tortola for a year low budget, racked up hundreds of days out there.

As you get good, in a chartering mecca like that, find a female partner, you can get paid, one cooks the other captains.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-11-2018
Learning the HARD way...

ASA also supports the GoSailing "App" (more of a website IMHO). I picked up my crew for my fall trip from RI to FL here - twice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, US/Sailing BKB and ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also ABYC certified in Marine Electrical Systems,

post #6 of 8 Old 07-11-2018
Administrator

Since you are on the chesapeake, you might also list yourself on Spinsheets' Crew Finder: SpinSheet's Crew Finder
Crew finder is a free service intended to connect skippers in need of crew with crew in need of a ride.

Jeff
chef2sail likes this.

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks y’all! Good suggestions. I currently live in OK but I’m free to travel with enough notice. I’ve used the ASA website. Mixed results. Can’t advertise as crew on there however. Will check the MeetUp options. Really liking the ideas of helping with deliveries and helping someone that either doesn’t want to solo or someone that may have some limitations. Peace! Out!
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2018

Just don't let them know you go by DirtyDungus (rotten to the core and mean as could be) or you may end up with someone who goes by HokeBirdsill coming after you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in