Finally, they've gone and done it - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 07-11-2018
bell ringer

Re: Finally, they've gone and done it

Amoug the most important government documents I have is my passport. It is good for 10 years. Why can’t my boats passport be good for more than 1 year?
elliowb likes this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 07-13-2018

Agreed. That would save both us and the Feds a ton of time and $$.
post #13 of 22 Old 07-13-2018

That service will only cost you 75 bucks a year..don't ask me how I know...read the fine print and buyer beware!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.

post #14 of 22 Old 07-13-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeventyr60 View Post
That service will only cost you 75 bucks a year..don't ask me how I know...read the fine print and buyer beware!
Sounds like a "deal". Do they hand deliver the document to your boat?

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #15 of 22 Old 07-13-2018

Does this company offer a service the federal or state government does not? Can you choose to do a subscription service where they automatically renew for you? If so depending on the price, it would be worth it to me, I hate doing paperwork or paying bills.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #16 of 22 Old 07-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Does this company offer a service the federal or state government does not? Can you choose to do a subscription service where they automatically renew for you? If so depending on the price, it would be worth it to me, I hate doing paperwork or paying bills.
Yes, they upcharge you and do it for you, annually. I've seen pricing in the neighborhood of 3X for that service. I still bet you need to confirm data for them annually, so I don't really see the advantage of sending it to them, over sending it to the NVDC.

The fact that they actually provide a service is the only reason this scam doesn't land them in jail. It's deceptive.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #17 of 22 Old 07-13-2018

The scammer approach and misleading language of Maritime Documentation Center is well known. Annual renewal of your Certificate of Documentation calls for you to 1/ sign a statement to the effect that there have been no changes to the information they have on file and 2/ send a check for the renewal. it is not difficult, time-consuming, or worth complaining about. (Or worth paying someone like Maritime Documentation Center - $75 a year ????- to do for you.)

Having the certificate last longer than a year might be convenient, but there may be reasons for that not to happen. Are most Certificates of Documentation for commercial vessels? They may get bought or sold, modified, or have new managing partners more frequently than our staid, unchanging cruisers. Perhaps annual renewals helps the USCG actually keep track of things that they need to keep track of. Imagine if someone filed a claim against a vessel and it's owners, say for polluting a harbor with oil from the bilges, and the ownership had changed three times in ten years. With a long-term certificate, if someone "forgot" to inform the authorities, the original owner - totally innocent and no longer involved with the vessel in question - would have to be targeted in the claim, since their name would be on the paperwork. Not fun.
post #18 of 22 Old 07-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Sounds like a "deal". Do they hand deliver the document to your boat?

Sure, I've got some beach front property in Arizona you might be interested in too..

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #19 of 22 Old 07-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
....Imagine if someone filed a claim against a vessel and it's owners, say for polluting a harbor with oil from the bilges, and the ownership had changed three times in ten years. With a long-term certificate, if someone "forgot" to inform the authorities, the original owner - totally innocent and no longer involved with the vessel in question - would have to be targeted in the claim, since their name would be on the paperwork. Not fun.
This is not a thing.

If your vessel is documented, you are required to notify the USCG that you sold the vessel. Whether the new owner re-documents is up to them, but there is no reason to worry about liability chasing you around, after you sell.

Bureaucracies draw their life energy from those that are willing to assume they are necessary.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #20 of 22 Old 07-13-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Amoug the most important government documents I have is my passport. It is good for 10 years. Why can’t my boats passport be good for more than 1 year?
Sadly, now that we can't get pages added to our passports, we only get 3 to 4 years on ours before they are full. Even with many of the officials not stamping them at all, trying to help us out.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in