SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Finally, they've gone and done it (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/324286-finally-theyve-gone-done.html)

capta 07-11-2018 08:55 AM

Finally, they've gone and done it

Apparently, the USCG Documentation office has finally gone and done it: multi-year documentation.
This was on my redocumentation notice;
NOTE: If you opted for automatic yearly renewal of your documentation, your documentation will be renewed by Maritime Documentation Center per the number of years selected. Each certificate received will be valid for one year. You will receive one 1-Year long Certificate of Documentation each year depending on how many additional years you have selected to add.
Bout effing time!

midwesterner 07-11-2018 09:02 AM

I don't understand what this means. Could you explain more please?

zeehag 07-11-2018 11:54 AM

Re: Finally, they've gone and done it

mine didnot have these words ... we still doing one single year at a time....

B-to 07-11-2018 02:57 PM

Maritime Documentation Center is not the official Coast Guard documentation center. I believe they are a private agency that renews your documentation for a service fee, but the letter can look like the official coast guard documentation center.

jephotog 07-11-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-to (Post 2051537796)
Maritime Documentation Center is not the official Coast Guard documentation center. I believe they are a private agency that renews your documentation for a service fee, but the letter can look like the official coast guard documentation center.

I remember a thread about this "service"/scam. If they only are offering to submit your government paperwork for a fee it's a bit of a scam. But if I read Capta's post correctly, you can choose to do multiple years at one time. If so it could likely be worth paying their service fees if they will just automatically renew for you each year when it becomes due.

Minnewaska 07-11-2018 03:40 PM

Total scam!!

The USCGs division is the National Vessel Documentation Center.

The Maritime Documentation Center is a private company. If you find it valuable for them to do this for you, thatís fine, but they will significantly upcharge you for the annual renewal service. As appears from your post, they touch the edges of fraudulently making one believe they are the USCG.

capta 07-11-2018 04:01 PM

Yep, I think you are right. Went back and reread the letter and the email address is .us not .gov. My daughter takes care of these things and I think she got confused. Thanks for catching this.

Don L 07-11-2018 05:36 PM

Even had the maritime thing been legit it wouldnít be very useful. I find itís easy to do the renewal and pay the fee as you can do it online. Itís physically getting document thatís the pita.

RegisteredUser 07-11-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don0190 (Post 2051537854)
Even had the maritime thing been legit it wouldnít be very useful. I find itís easy to do the renewal and pay the fee as you can do it online. Itís physically getting document thatís the pita.

Doc used to make sense...to me.
The past admin changed it to yearly renewals.
I saw no benefit as my state regist goes for 3 years.
I dropped the Doc when i bought the boat.

Minnewaska 07-11-2018 07:17 PM

Renewing online is pretty easy, so I don't personally see any value in this service.

I also consider the need for an annual renewal and a fee to be bloated government nonsense. Once every five years would be more than sufficient.