Finally, they've gone and done it - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Finally, they've gone and done it

Apparently, the USCG Documentation office has finally gone and done it: multi-year documentation.
This was on my redocumentation notice;
NOTE: If you opted for automatic yearly renewal of your documentation, your documentation will be renewed by Maritime Documentation Center per the number of years selected. Each certificate received will be valid for one year. You will receive one 1-Year long Certificate of Documentation each year depending on how many additional years you have selected to add.
Bout effing time!

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 07-11-2018

I don't understand what this means. Could you explain more please?
post #3 of 22 Old 07-11-2018
snake charmer, cat herder

Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Finally, they've gone and done it

mine didnot have these words ... we still doing one single year at a time....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

post #4 of 22 Old 07-11-2018

Maritime Documentation Center is not the official Coast Guard documentation center. I believe they are a private agency that renews your documentation for a service fee, but the letter can look like the official coast guard documentation center.
post #5 of 22 Old 07-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-to View Post
Maritime Documentation Center is not the official Coast Guard documentation center. I believe they are a private agency that renews your documentation for a service fee, but the letter can look like the official coast guard documentation center.
I remember a thread about this "service"/scam. If they only are offering to submit your government paperwork for a fee it's a bit of a scam. But if I read Capta's post correctly, you can choose to do multiple years at one time. If so it could likely be worth paying their service fees if they will just automatically renew for you each year when it becomes due.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #6 of 22 Old 07-11-2018

Total scam!!

The USCGs division is the National Vessel Documentation Center.

The Maritime Documentation Center is a private company. If you find it valuable for them to do this for you, that’s fine, but they will significantly upcharge you for the annual renewal service. As appears from your post, they touch the edges of fraudulently making one believe they are the USCG.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 22 Old 07-11-2018 Thread Starter
Master Mariner

Yep, I think you are right. Went back and reread the letter and the email address is .us not .gov. My daughter takes care of these things and I think she got confused. Thanks for catching this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #8 of 22 Old 07-11-2018
bell ringer

Even had the maritime thing been legit it wouldn’t be very useful. I find it’s easy to do the renewal and pay the fee as you can do it online. It’s physically getting document that’s the pita.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #9 of 22 Old 07-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
Even had the maritime thing been legit it wouldn’t be very useful. I find it’s easy to do the renewal and pay the fee as you can do it online. It’s physically getting document that’s the pita.
Doc used to make sense...to me.
The past admin changed it to yearly renewals.
I saw no benefit as my state regist goes for 3 years.
I dropped the Doc when i bought the boat.
post #10 of 22 Old 07-11-2018

Renewing online is pretty easy, so I don't personally see any value in this service.

I also consider the need for an annual renewal and a fee to be bloated government nonsense. Once every five years would be more than sufficient.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in