Right of Way? - Page 13 - SailNet Community
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #121 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

Re: Right of Way?

I would recommend not getting into an argument on "right of way" with a powerboat. Yes he can avoid you easily but maybe it's on Auto Pilot and no on one stands watch. A powerboat running 30+ mph offshore is not someone to tangle with. In any case there is no right of way anymore. You are in the obligation to avoid a collision. All the rules you learned in the past are mute now. The rule is "Avoid a Collision" . Don't be Dead right.

Why do powerboats run 30+ mph offshore? The boat runs much smoother over 30 and crappy between 29 and 12.

Last edited by solarfry; 08-04-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

Sorry tried 3x to delete this and it would not delete

Last edited by solarfry; 08-04-2018 at 06:30 PM.
post #123 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

Had an interesting encounter today, in open water. I had my main up and was motor sailing hard on the wind. Blowing 18 kts. Forward and to my starboard is an incoming powerboat, positioned to cross my bow. Since we are both being propelled by machinery, the powerboat is stand-on, so I fall off 30 degrees to starboard to take his stern easily. For the next 30 seconds, itís clear the powerboat will cross well ahead of me. There is no risk of collision, but he hasnít crossed my bow yet. Suddenly, as we get closer, he makes a hard turn to his port and avoids me altogether.

My first thought was he thought we were ďsailingĒ and he had a responsibility to give way, despite the fact that would have crossed my bow with plenty of room. When I see a sailboat hard on the wind, with just a main, making good speed, I know heís motoring. He may not have known.

On the other hand, he may just be ignorant altogether and couldnít even tell who was going to cross whom.

Since no paint was swapped, allís well that ends well. I think thatís in the rules.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #124 of 229 Old 08-04-2018
ASA and PSIA Instructor

Of course if you were south of Brenton Point you should have had the required inverted cone raised, although doing so may just increase the likelihood that such poweboats would pass closer to see what it is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Minnewaska likes this.

Certified...in several regards...
post #125 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Had an interesting encounter today, in open water. I had my main up and was motor sailing hard on the wind. Blowing 18 kts. Forward and to my starboard is an incoming powerboat, positioned to cross my bow. Since we are both being propelled by machinery, the powerboat is stand-on, so I fall off 30 degrees to starboard to take his stern easily. For the next 30 seconds, itís clear the powerboat will cross well ahead of me. There is no risk of collision, but he hasnít crossed my bow yet. Suddenly, as we get closer, he makes a hard turn to his port and avoids me altogether.

My first thought was he thought we were ďsailingĒ and he had a responsibility to give way, despite the fact that would have crossed my bow with plenty of room. When I see a sailboat hard on the wind, with just a main, making good speed, I know heís motoring. He may not have known.

On the other hand, he may just be ignorant altogether and couldnít even tell who was going to cross whom.

Since no paint was swapped, allís well that ends well. I think thatís in the rules.
Did you display your day signal for motor sailing?
Shapes and Lights

post #126 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Of course if you were south of Brenton Point you should have had the required inverted cone raised...
I think he is technically required to show the inverted cone in both International and Inland water.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #127 of 229 Old 08-04-2018
bell ringer

If in order to follow the rules you need to pull out the book, itís too late. Rules threads are endless and only really prove that basically no one knows the rules.

The safest thing people can do is assume every boat they come across is being driven by me. I donít know the rules so you should protect yourself by staying out of my way!!!!!

See how simple it is.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
The Following User Says Thank You to Don L For This Useful Post:
mstern (08-06-2018)
post #128 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

Iíve yet to see a day shape on any sailboat that doesnít have a red light at the top of their mast at night.
Minnewaska likes this.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #129 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

I’ve haven’t seen any sailboat once outside coastal waters of any nationality that doesn’t have send/receive AIS in some years.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46
post #130 of 229 Old 08-04-2018

The 30kts boat isn’t a trawler nor a ship nor a sailboat maybe a big sport fish with a good helmsman or a fast ferry or a clueless inebriated jerk. Assume the later and run parallel to him until he’s past or his intentions are clear. As most appropriately stated if they are not near you they can’t hurt you.

We use running lights when coastal but the tricolor offshore. Unless the sea is flat running lights are to low on most sailboats (except very large ones) to be constantly visible.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 08-04-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in