Right of Way? - Page 21 - SailNet Community
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #201 of 229 Old 08-18-2018

Re: Right of Way?

The powerboat was not fishing at the time of the accident - it was either traveling to, or from, the fishing grounds. This is evidenced by the fishing rods being in the transport holders, which are situated atop the cabin - not the trolling holders, which are situated along the gunwale and across the stern of the boat. Someone on the powerboat, obviously, was not paying attention to what they were doing.

The powerboat was a 6-pack, uninspected vessel, which is also obvious because there is no life raft aboard, which is required on charter vessels carrying more than 6 passengers. The life raft is usually stored atop the cabin. Somebody is in a world of $hit for this one!

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 229 Old 08-18-2018

wonder if that J is fixable?

and can't imagine the PB is not at fault, the CG findings will be interesting...(as usual).
post #203 of 229 Old 08-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
Of course the sailboat may have been under power in which case, based on the starboard side impact, the sailboat would have been the give way vessel....
Pretty academic point. Itís possible, but how many motor sailers fly both their jib and main?

The most plausible scenario I can think of, that would attribute blame to the sailboat, would be if they didnít stand on and moved into the stinkpots way. I find that hard to believe, however.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #204 of 229 Old 08-18-2018
Top Sekret Ninja Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpludwig View Post
wonder if that J is fixable?

and can't imagine the PB is not at fault, the CG findings will be interesting...(as usual).
Mast was still up - if all they have to do is fix the hull and replace the boom it might be repairable for less than the value of the boat. If the mast has to be replaced too, then it might be totaled by the insurance company.
post #205 of 229 Old 08-18-2018

Major problem is that half the boat operators are below average intelligence.
travlin-easy likes this.
post #206 of 229 Old 08-19-2018

Charter company's logo seems fitting in this case:

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #207 of 229 Old 08-19-2018

Fishing skipper's bio seems to indicate that it was a brand new boat, or at least newly added to the fleet this year.

Sailboat's club statement on the matter:

Quote:
Date: August 17, 2018

This morning at approximately 11:30am, a member of the Chesapeake Boating Club was under sail on one of the Clubís J/105s when they were struck by a 35í powerboat. The J/105 was struck amidships on the starboard side, with the powerboat coming to a stop on top of the sailboat. Thankfully, no one was injured. Our members were operating the boat in a safe manner, on a day with clear visibility and 10-12 knots of breeze. The J/105 crew attempted to hail the approaching boat prior to the collision, otherwise signal, and take action to avoid the collision. We would like to thank the Coast Guard and Department of Natural Resources for their rapid response to the scene.
chef2sail likes this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #208 of 229 Old 08-29-2018

Send a message via Yahoo to Rob Bibber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Len View Post
Major problem is that half the boat operators are below average intelligence.

Same is true of some sailboat operators too. Back when I was a lobsterboat captain I was hauling up a trawl of traps in heavy tide current. I was restricted of movement. Because of the current I had to put the boat in gear every minute or so as I hauled in the line with my traps on it. Just as I did this I looked up and a sailboat under full sail was passing from port no more than ten feet off my bow. I had to reverse engines to prevent a collision. The other guy even had the nerve to flip me off...
post #209 of 229 Old 08-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bibber View Post
Same is true of some sailboat operators too. Back when I was a lobsterboat captain I was hauling up a trawl of traps in heavy tide current. I was restricted of movement. Because of the current I had to put the boat in gear every minute or so as I hauled in the line with my traps on it. Just as I did this I looked up and a sailboat under full sail was passing from port no more than ten feet off my bow. I had to reverse engines to prevent a collision. The other guy even had the nerve to flip me off...
Yes, sailors can make mistakes, and can double down by doing rude stuff.

But I'm just curious, since you were RAM, and apparentiy did this on a regular basis, did your have your ball-diamond-ball dayshapes up? Or failing that, did you at least issue a securite over the radio so people weren't guessing?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-29-2018 at 05:27 PM.
post #210 of 229 Old 08-29-2018

^^^ A fishing vessel who has their maneuverability restricted by their gear/ hauling nets etc. shows 2 cones or a basket, they should not claim RAMN.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-29-2018 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Typo.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in