Right of Way? - Page 9 - SailNet Community
 90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #81 of 229 Old 07-27-2018
bell ringer

Re: Right of Way?

Rule 13.186.a.3b says you can run those over if they are sailing back and forth across the narrow channel.

Someone can now write up some long preachy post correcting me like I'm some nob who has never been on the water.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 229 Old 07-27-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post

Someone can now write up some long preachy post correcting me like I'm some nob who has never been on the water.

Certainly!

As to the main thrust (I'm not really sure, I only scanned the posts as it's too hot in Amsterdam to give a rats butt.

If you alter course too early and the other dude alters course too, then you come back to your original course.
Keep doing this until the idiot realises what to do.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #83 of 229 Old 07-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy1957 View Post
Because I’m a complete noob, I suppose I can get away with asking........

To ME, a “dingy,” is that small little boat a person takes from shore, to GET to their boat, moored (sp?) out in the bay.

No?

I’ve read reference in some of your postings, about “dingy sailers,” and it confuses me.
Small sailboats usually 20 ft and under. They are usually open boats with no cabin, no ballast and often no engine.

They come up in right of way discussions because, due to the lack of motors, they are far more likely to be encountered under sail in narrow channels because sailing is almost always easier than paddling. Tacking back and forth across a narrow channel can put them in conflict with their obligation to maintain course and speed and in some cases their obligations not to impede the passage of vessels restricted to narrow channel.

The other boats that come up a lot are casual racing sailboats because, like dinghys, they are often actually sailing and like to set up their race courses in busy public water ways. This is largely to reduce transit time between the yacht club and their race course as races are often week days after work or similar. Further more racing sailors have two sets of rules they follow for collision avoidance, one is their sporting rules the other are the ColRegs (which is the actual law). The very nature of an around the bouys sailboat race often puts it into direct conflict with the ColRegs because as boats round their marks they are failing to meet their obligations under the ColRegs. The decision not to meet their obligation to maintain course and speed often makes racing sailboats in harbours the burdened or give way vessel in spite of having their sails up.

Often times cruising sailors will fire up their engines in heavy traffic or narrow channels, which makes them power boats in the view of the ColRegs and much less frequently in conflict with other waterway users than the above two categories.

Last edited by Arcb; 07-28-2018 at 04:04 PM.

post #84 of 229 Old 07-27-2018
Administrator

Two quick add-on's to Arcb's post. For most of my lifetime, the term 'dinghy' (also spelled 'dingy') has referred to a particular hull form (the shape of the boat), so you might sometimes see 40-50 foot boats referred to as a 'dinghy' .

And while Arcb is right that racers operate under both the racing rules and CoLReg's, which are the navigation laws (except in certain inland waters, and European countries), there are very few conflicting rules in each of these. Instead the Racing Rules address circumstances which do not occur in ColRegs, such as a mark rounding, and when one boat gains or losses rights over another boat. By the same token ColReg's addresses issues that are not relevant to the race rules, such as running lights or horn signals.

Jeff

Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #85 of 229 Old 07-27-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom View Post
... and forget the rules until powerboat visually proves otherwise....
The Law of Gross Tonnage trumps all.
post #86 of 229 Old 07-27-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Two quick add-on's to Arcb's post. For most of my lifetime, the term 'dinghy' (also spelled 'dingy') has referred to a particular hull form (the shape of the boat), so you might sometimes see 40-50 foot . referred to as a 'dinghy' .

And while Arcb is right that racers operate under both the racing rules and CoLReg's, which are the navigation laws (except in certain inland waters, and European countries), there are very few conflicting rules in each of these. Instead the Racing Rules address circumstances which do not occur in ColRegs, such as a mark rounding, and when one boat gains or losses rights over another boat. By the same token ColReg's addresses issues that are not relevant to the race rules, such as running lights or horn signals.

Jeff
Jeff, its not the rules of round the bouys racing that puts it in conflict with the ColRegs, its the culture. I agree if the rules of racing were followed a race participant would be obligated to maintain course and speed if other non race particpant waterway user was in the immediate area until traffic clears the area. However, this is not what happens in practice. In practice when they round their mark they fail to meet their ColRegs obligations and voluntarily become the burdened vessel. Many still expect other users to respect their sailing hierarchy for vessels within site of one another, but at this point, they have already opted out. They should be staying out of every ones way now.

Was not aware of the hull shape thing for dingy. Interesting. I am reading Roger Barnes: Dingy Cruising Companion right now. In the first chapter he describes the origin of the word dingy as coming from Hindi when the Britiish Navy was active in India they started using the term dinghy/dinghy to decsribe the centre board working vessels carried by British naval vessels.

I am sure your use of the term is correct as well, probably more than one way to use the word.
post #87 of 229 Old 07-27-2018

Dock

The boat you use to get from shore to your yacht is a tender. These days most tenders are inflatable motorized dinghies, but rowing/sailing dinghies are still fairly popular and some minimalists use kayaks and canoes as tenders.

If you own a mega yacht than your tender might be a cabin cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
dinghydocks1.jpg  

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:

Last edited by ThereYouAre; 07-27-2018 at 01:35 PM.
post #88 of 229 Old 07-27-2018

...or a helicopter.
Attached Thumbnails
87B30274-20BC-477D-B990-A3A15310F8A3.jpeg  

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #89 of 229 Old 07-27-2018

I empathize with your lament, Don190. Out here in Blustery San Francisco, we encounter shifts and “puffs” all the time so at one moment you are on port and passing comfortably astern of a Stb boat then the next moment he is getting knocked and you are being lifted into a crossing situation. If the other boat is a fellow racer or it appears by his trim and helming that he is experienced, I’ll get a little closer before I duck. If the other boat’s heading is all over the place (perhaps indicative of a less experienced helmsperson), I’ll alter course earlier then duck as to not freak him out. On Stb tack, I’ll hold my line, but be prepared to duck if the other [inexperienced] skipper is having a hard time figuring out his port from starboard. Fortunately, the wind is usually in the twenties in the afternoons here which keeps the majority of the inexperienced skippers out of the slot.

Rule 13.186, you mean Texas Dept of Public Safety and corrections, Chapter 13 – Controlled Substances, Precursor Chemical Laboratory Apparatus: Inventory?
Tuna Driver likes this.

George B
2000 Catalina 34 MkII
Alameda, Ca.
post #90 of 229 Old 07-28-2018

So we were anchored waiting for a race to start. Not uncommon in SF Bay with a flood and no wind. This larger cruising boat comes drifting down on us yelling for us to get out of the way. We're anchored! Oh! Much running around to fend off. They couldn't start the engine. Sort of our fault. We put up our day shape, with a tinge of red face, but wondered if they even knew what a black ball meant. The thrumming anchor rode went completely unnoticed. Anyone ever have this happen to them in the BVI?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in