SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Pulling down head sail in strong winds? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/324562-pulling-down-head-sail-strong-winds.html)

smitrock63 07-23-2018 10:28 AM

Pulling down head sail in strong winds?

So, the other day (my buddy helping me) and we're sailing on a port "beam" point of sail, 20 mph winds, 150 Genoa and full main (30 ft. ODay). We decide to put the head sail down because we were going to stop for lunch. After turning the boat windward and putting into irons, my buddy, dealing with a flapping head sail asks, "is there really no easier way to to this?".

So, my question is, "is there any better way to raise or lower a sail when i decent winds"? That day the sail was flapping so hard I thought it was either going to beat him to death or throw him in the water!!

Thanks,

deniseO30 07-23-2018 10:34 AM

Re: Pulling down head sail in strong winds?

Nice choice of boat! I had a Oday 30 with roller furling.

RIG A LINE THAT You can use as a down haul which is basically a line that pulls the head sail down, but you have to be mindful that you never let halyards (uphaul) go slack.

smitrock63 07-23-2018 10:53 AM

I don't have a roller furling;so, any other ideas? Wish I did, but, too tight for now to spend the money!

deniseO30 07-23-2018 11:00 AM

I know I wrote it so I guess you didn't read it lol.
RIG A DOWN HAUL
Quote:

Originally Posted by smitrock63 (Post 2051540544)
I don't have a roller furling;so, any other ideas? Wish I did, but, too tight for now to spend the money!

deniseO30 07-23-2018 11:04 AM

smitrock63 07-23-2018 11:17 AM

Yes you did; and I read it wrong. Thank you; that's exactly what I'll do!

JimsCAL 07-23-2018 11:18 AM

If you head up into the wind, but just a bit off it to port or stbd. you can release the halyard and quickly head to the bow and pull the sail down without getting beaten badly by the flapping sail. That also allows the mainsail to continue to fill a bit and allow you control the boat. You just need to get the load off the genny and be enough into the wind so that it drops onto the deck and not in the water.

deniseO30 07-23-2018 11:31 AM

It can be a little confusing because, you do not ever want to lose the end of the jib halyard while also keeping the jib sheets under control, so the foot of the headsail isn't flailing all over the deck.

tempest 07-23-2018 07:55 PM

You could also Try Heaving-to ( Tack the boat but leave the head-sail back-winded, ease the main a little and put the helm over) Once you've stopped the boat and settled in, Then loosen the halyard and pull the sail down. You should end up with a pretty stable platform to work on. With a 150, I'd just be careful of chafe on the shrouds and spreader when you backwind. You could ease the sheet a little to move the leach forward so the sail is not on the spreader. With the Genoa Back-winded the other advantage is that it's easier to keep it out of the water, as most of it should come down on the deck.

I had a spare Halyard wrap around my furling gear last season and had to pull down my head sail to get home. I was alone, so just I hove-to and it made the job much easier.

jephotog 07-23-2018 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tempest (Post 2051540706)
You could also Try Heaving-to ( Tack the boat but leave the head-sail back-winded, ease the main a little and put the helm over) Once you've stopped the boat and settled in, Then loosen the halyard and pull the sail down.

You can also heave-to to park the boat for lunch. The boat is not really parked it is still sailing but slowly and in a more stable hands off way.