This is a disgrace. - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 40 Old 08-01-2018
1968 Columbia 50

Re: This is a disgrace.

After having been involved in fundraising in one way or another..there are much better ways to raise money than the "beg letter"..those have a terrible rate of return, and I imagine that the rich boat owners have secretaries that dumped the letter in the old trash can from the get-go. Charge something like an airport tax..you come in, and get charged...just on a sliding scale per foot or something like that.

The 50,000 per bottle of Cristal seems even a big over-rated...the most expensive one I found is Cristal Brut 1990 “Methuselah”
US $17,625. Otherwise the bottles tend to run from $150 to $400 per bottle...

A sad excuse for a story, I hope they get their fundraising..but this story doesn't help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
S/V Siren 1968 Columbia 50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post

Am I off in wondering why a lifeboat charity is appearing to be spending so much on tugs capable of towing the mega yachts of the ultra wealthy instead of staying more focused on the task of saving lives?
I agree tthat RIBs are often the best tool for the job, but they say they want an all weather boat, and you dont get much of an all weather tug for 1.2 million Euros. I am guessing that represents about a 40-50 ft boat. All weather life boats dont come cheap.

Last edited by Arcb; 08-01-2018 at 09:22 AM.
post #13 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
The French Société Nationale de Sauvetage en Mer (SNSM) Charges for call outs!

I was charged US$2,000 for a 5 mile tow last year when the engine spat the dummy off a dangerous lee shore and I didn't know the harbour to sail into.

$2,000!!!

And the have the AUDACITY to ask for gifts?

They can shove it up their French clacker!

BTW Insurance paid it without excess payment by me. Pantanious is good.
Perhaps they have a different view of what a Non-Profit Volunteer Organization is over there.

Sounds more like a shady and poorly run big business trying to maximize their profits by shrouding themselves behind the Non-Profit Facade. 1,200 paid employees to support 140 boats and a few hundred Jet Skis is a bit extreme. With 5,800 volunteers what do all those paid staffers do? Sounds like somebody is milking this cow for all the profit they can squeeze out of it or a bunch of complete idiots is running things. Cleaning house of 2/3 the paid staff would probably be a good start for turning this thing around if it is indeed a Volunteer Non-Profit Organization.

The folks they have been asking for handouts from may have similarly gotten too many of those $X,000 charges to take them seriously when they ask them for donations.

post #14 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I agree tthat RIBs are often the best tool for the job, but they say they want an all weather boat, and you dont get much of an all weather tug for 1.2 million Euros. I am guessing that represents about a 40-50 ft boat. All weather life boats dont come cheap.
An all weather boat to save lives is a bit different than an all weather boat to tow mega yachts. The reveal of how much this "Charity" charges for a short tow of a much smaller boat was an eye opener and says a lot. One has to wonder what they do with the 20 Million Euros they get every year? How much of that gets milked off under Administrative Fees?
post #15 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Interesting to see how quickly the narrative morphed from how chintzy the yacht owners are to what greedy scum the lifeboat volunteers are...

Try not to let the urgent override the important.
The Following User Says Thank You to troy2000 For This Useful Post:
mstern (08-01-2018)
post #16 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
An all weather boat to save lives is a bit different than an all weather boat to tow mega yachts. The reveal of how much this "Charity" charges for a short tow of a much smaller boat was an eye opener and says a lot. One has to wonder what they do with the 20 Million Euros they get every year? How much of that gets milked off under Administrative Fees?
I agree, it sounds like a really big organisation. It outnumbers the Canadian Coast Guard, which not only runs the countries life boat program, but also Ice Breakers, Science Ships, Fisheries Enforcement, Maritime Security, MCTS and navigational aids programs and vessels for one of the longest coast lines in the world.

My only point was, you are not building an all weather mega yacht tug for 1.2 million. For 1.2 million you get an all weather life boat that would be suitable for towing Sea Life or most Sail Netters boats (apparently at the cost of about 1000 bucks an hour).
post #17 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Dock

If I knew what the price was going to be before I agreed for them to come out I would have attempted to sail in.
Not to tell someone up-front is pretty low.

I think most of the crew were volunteers, I think the skipper looked paid.

I am sure none got a 'cut' of the money.

I am not having a go at the volunteers. They're doing the right thing. It's the Organisation that I'm grumbling about.

Also, I fully intended to make a donation and I was calculating a figure about US$400. I wasn't going to leave a volunteer organisation in the Red because of me!
Arcb likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #18 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
If I knew what the price was going to be before I agreed for them to come out I would have attempted to sail in.

I am not having a go at the volunteers. They're doing the right thing. It's the Organisation that I'm grumbling about.

Also, I fully intended to make a donation and I was calculating a figure about US$400. I wasn't going to leave a volunteer organisation in the Red because of me!
Yes they appear to have a "Paid Management" issue. Corporate waste can be a big problem in volunteer organizations as the management arm if not kept under close scrutiny can suck up too much of whats donated and drive up costs 1000% so that only a small part of whats donated actually goes towards the cause.
post #19 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy2000 View Post
Interesting to see how quickly the narrative morphed from how chintzy the yacht owners are to what greedy scum the lifeboat volunteers are...
If you smell a rat you have to call it out. Something is afoul here and its appearing that some of the disgrace falls on how this "Charitable/Non-Profit" is being managed by the "Paid Staff", nobody said anything against the volunteers.
post #20 of 40 Old 08-01-2018

Quote:

If you'd have tried sailing in had you known what the tow would cost, you apparently didn't think you and your boat were in serious jeapordy - and probably shouldn't have been bothering a lifeboat organization for a tow to begin with. Their mission is to save lives, not to save you inconvenience.
NCboatrx likes this.

Try not to let the urgent override the important.

Last edited by troy2000; 08-01-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in