Portugal sailing - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By estopa
  • 1 Post By jvlassak

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-02-2018 Thread Starter

Portugal sailing

My wife is taking a tour of Portugal with the possibility of us spending a few years there.

Anyone have any warnings, advice for an American looking to live in Portugal, maybe sail and/or teach sailing etc.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-02-2018
Administrator

Re: Portugal sailing

You will need an international certificate of competence. They will take a certificate from US Sailing, but do not seem to recognize ASA. While an extremely large percentage of the population speak English, the coast guard does not seem to. I believe that the channel markers colors are on the opposite side of the channel from the US. I was not able to find anyone who could tell me how to get charts of the harbors and channels. The more northern sections of the Atlantic Coast can get really huge waves and big winds.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #3 of 4 Old 08-02-2018

I have be in Portugal in 2015 for the world RC racing i spend 2 week in there i personally did not like the treatment of the locals the city is old the cost of living is to hi but i maybe went to the expensive area i wish you lock just be careful with everything

post #4 of 4 Old 08-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsailorbr View Post
I have be in Portugal in 2015 for the world RC racing i spend 2 week in there i personally did not like the treatment of the locals the city is old the cost of living is to hi but i maybe went to the expensive area i wish you lock just be careful with everything
Yeah, right, with one brush stroke you blew the whole country because it is old and expensive?
Great contribution!

I have been and it is a beautiful country with nice people, sailed "to" there but not sure what is involved in sailing "from" there... Boatman61 lives on the south coast I believe, so maybe he will chime in.

Last edited by SVTatia; 08-03-2018 at 09:58 AM.
post #5 of 4 Old 08-03-2018
Administrator

I found Portugal to be an absolutely marvelous country. The people that I encountered were friendly and welcoming,with a modest and thoughtful culture. The country has a number of regions each with its own unique beauty. The sense of the country's long and rich history is everywhere and seemingly treated with respect among visitors and the Portuguese themselves. Compared to the US and my understanding of most of the rest of Europe, I found Portugal quite affordable. Lisbon and Porto seem to have vibrant art scenes. The Algarve has some wonderful historic little cities, but tends to be overrun with tourists 'in season', and in some areas are so overwhelmed by ex-pats that some of the Portuguese culture seems somewhat obscured or caricatured.

Depending on where you are in the country, the sailing is either year round, or else so extreme that only someone feeling suicidal would go sailing in winter in that part of the coast.

I am not very good at learning languages, and the Portuguese language is not as easy as some other Latin based languages, (Brazilian Portuguese is a bit different than Portugal Portuguese the Brazilian version seemingly easier to pronounce) but I found that I was able to learn enough to understand a lot of what was being said. Unfortunately, my pronunciations were so poor that most of the time the listener would say words to the effect of, "Lets both speak English, it will be less painful for both of us." But they almost always said that they appreciated me trying and if I asked they would help me with pronunciation or the correct syntax.

I must say, while I did a lot of research before traveling there, I was not there very long. I did see much of the Portuguese coast from Tavira in the southeast to most of the towns across the Algarve to Sagres and Logos in the southwest then on up to Lisbon, Aveiro and Porto further to the northwest. Each area has its own identify, and patina of its history, that made each worthwhile to visit. I did not spend very much time in the inland cities so its harder for me to comment on those. On thing that did surprise me about being inland was passing through what appeared to be essentially ghost towns- small, older, historic towns, which were essentially abandoned and overgrown. I found the public transport quite good and affordable, but with its own idiosyncrasies, but none that seemed especially draconian, just different than some other parts of the world.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-03-2018 at 05:03 PM.
post #6 of 4 Old 08-03-2018

Quote:
I assume by your username that you're from Brazil? If that's the case, your statement makes perfect sense. Based on my limited experience, there're some really unfortunate attitudes towards Brazilians in Portugal.

As an American, the locals were super-nice, and compared to the rest of Europe the cost of living is very low.
post #7 of 4 Old 08-03-2018

Yes i was born in Brazil and i have be in Lisbon Portugal for a race there was many nationality Racers and i see some good and bad things from the locals i do no try to say anything bad about this country I'm just try to be hones with my experience i had in there
I do not think they will treat you better because you are an American?
post #8 of 4 Old 08-03-2018

Quote:
...I do not think they will treat you better because you are an American?
Of course they will, Canadians, etc... It is the attitude of the Brazilian immigrants firing back.
post #9 of 4 Old 08-03-2018

Can you be more specific on location? Are you going for the sailing or site seeing with maybe a couple of days to sail here and there?

West coast, Atlantic side offers what I believe a more real portuguese experience and there will be many day sail opportunities in the bays away from the Atlantic. There will be more places to site see and visit. Wine tours, Old Cities, Museums, etc...

South coast, Algarve offers you the gateway to the Med. If you were strictly focused on the sailing I suggest go here as there are more sailing schools, clubs, etc geared towards the sailor. Only drawback is what others mentioned is that there isn't much to site see and during July / August its just crazy with people.

Keep us posted what you end up doing... Youtube some of these sites, Oporto, Duoro, Evora, Coimbra, Fatima, Obidos, Sintra, and of course Lisbon.
davidpm likes this.

George Paiva
"estopa" - [est'opa] is portuguese for Oakum.
1986 Oday 222 #686
1988 Oday 322 #169
The Following User Says Thank You to estopa For This Useful Post:
davidpm (08-04-2018)
post #10 of 4 Old 08-03-2018

We just spent a couple of weeks in Portugal and Jeff is spot on. Wonderful country with friendly people and quite inexpensive compared to the rest of western Europe. Never seen beaches as clean as there. We didn't sail there, so I can't comment on that aspect.
davidpm likes this.

1995 Pacific Seacraft 34
Iphigenia

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in