Maine stories - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 Old 08-07-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Maine stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
.....By the way.. the smell of Maine is like a cedar closet!
It’s funny you say that. In an endearing way, we noted the smell of Maine each morning, as we awoke. It was so foggy (one day literally never burned off) that we said Maine smells like wet rocks, at least from the water. Not low tide, just water and mineral. Hiking was cedar for sure. Love nature.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 Old 08-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have friends that summer on Mt. Desert Island and have a mooring that they've offered us if we ever choose to visit ("one of these daze Alice!"). They tell a funny story about other friends of theirs that they had visit them on the island some years ago. It seems the couple--who were not sailors or fishers--became addicted to steamed lobster during their stay so, when they left, our friends decided to send them some fresh, live, lobster as a treat and so had a local lobster house package up a foam ice chest and air freight it to them. A few days later the couple called them to thank them for the "thought". Our friends asked them how the lobster tasted to which they replied that they couldn't eat them. "Why not?" our friends asked. "Well" their other friends responded, "when we opened the box all the lobsters had gone bad". "They'd gone bad?" our friends asked in disbelief. "Yes" their friends answered, "they'd all turned Greenish Blue so we threw them out". (It seems they though "fresh lobster" were supposed to be Red!)

Chuckle/Groan...

"Maine Lobstah---Wicked Good..."
post #13 of 26 Old 08-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
We have friends that summer on Mt. Desert Island and have a mooring that they've offered us if we ever choose to visit ("one of these daze Alice!"). They tell a funny story about other friends of theirs that they had visit them on the island some years ago. It seems the couple--who were not sailors or fishers--became addicted to steamed lobster during their stay so, when they left, our friends decided to send them some fresh, live, lobster as a treat and so had a local lobster house package up a foam ice chest and air freight it to them. A few days later the couple called them to thank them for the "thought". Our friends asked them how the lobster tasted to which they replied that they couldn't eat them. "Why not?" our friends asked. "Well" their other friends responded, "when we opened the box all the lobsters had gone bad". "They'd gone bad?" our friends asked in disbelief. "Yes" their friends answered, "they'd all turned Greenish Blue so we threw them out". (It seems they though "fresh lobster" were supposed to be Red!)

Chuckle/Groan...

"Maine lobstah---Wicked good..."

post #14 of 26 Old 08-08-2018
bell ringer

Sitting on a “borrowed” mooring just north of Portland right now. Spend 5 months getting here from the Keys! Let’s hear your best lobster roll places!

I will say Claws in Rockland but am willing to try others

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Don0190; 08-08-2018 at 08:13 PM.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-08-2018 Thread Starter

We were further up the coast on this trip. In Portland, there is a place called Street and Company. We had Lobster Diavalo for two there a few years ago. Best I've ever had.

Downeast, where we were this time, we loved the Lobster Saute at Ables Lobster Pound at the top of Sommes Sound. Also had a great Lobster Thermador at the Boathouse Bistro in BoothBay. I've picked so many steamed lobsters, it doesn't do much for me. I make my owner lobster salad, because I believe it should be made simply. Lobster meat, salt, pepper, just enough mayo to hold it together and lime juice. No celery, no herbs, no bacon, nothing else, which many places try to add to be different.

What I really meant to do was buy a couple of live bugs and cook them on the boat BBQ. Never got to it this time. You have to have the stomach to cut them in half, lengthwise, while they are alive. Put on the boat grill, flesh down for a couple of mins. Then turn over and put butter and whatever herbs or spices you like in the shells and cook for another 4 or 5 mins. I like garlic and parsley butter and enough to nearly fill the shells.
Bleemus likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 08-08-2018 at 07:49 PM.
post #16 of 26 Old 08-08-2018
Senior Citizen

I was a passenger aboard the J&E Riggin in the early 80's when Dave and Sue Allen owned her. Dave let me take the helm as we sailed down Eggemoggin reach. In a good breeze she healed over a bit and what a feeling of power when a gust hit us. On our last day in a fog and dead calm the yawl boat pushed us back to Rockland. The mate hand pumped an old fog/signal air horn.
-CH

http://www.mainewindjammer.com/wp-co...Posteredit.jpg
post #17 of 26 Old 08-09-2018

I used to moor in Buck Harbor at the head of Eggemoggin reach an we would often get visits from the windjammer fleet. They often had a fiddler and a lively party would ensue after dinner. After enough alcohol was consumed it was inevitable that someone would take a tarzan swing off the boat an land in the water. You could always tell exactly when they hit the water as the pitch of their scream went up about two octaves as their testicles shrank in the 53 F water. Good times.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-09-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Just back from our cruise to Maine. Started in Northeast Harbor, anchored in Valley Cove in Sommes Sound, then at the top by Ables. Great lobster pound! Moved on to anchor at McGlathery island, which was remote and beautiful. Then some restocking in Boothbay. Spent a few days in each place this time, did some hiking and biking. Great time, as always. We had 25 to 30 knots downwind the entire trip north. Great sailing! Made it from Kingman marina on the west end of the canal to Northeast Harbor in 26 hrs flat and sailed 90% of it, outside the canal. However, with wind came 7 ft seas, stacked on top of each other, in the middle of the night. There were times we were pushing 10 kts, which was overpowered and backed it down. However, it was tempting to get it over with. Never saw under 6.5 kts the entire passage.

Anyway, what really struck me about this cruise were some of the notable experiences we had. Here are a few. If you haven’t visited downeast, away from the big cities, you really should see what it’s like.

1). Went to a hardware store with a “marine supplies” sign, as I bent a clevis pin on the passage. Woman inside said the ships store is down the street, but no one is there. Let yourself in and bring whatever you need back here to check out.

2). Grabbed one of the more expensive bottles of wine in the store, for my birthday dinner. The cashier couldn’t get the price to come up, so had to go back and check. When he came back he said he wasn’t going to charge that much and lowered it.

3). Thought we could get an Uber across Mt Desert Island (Ables to Bar Harbor), but none were available, when we were ashore. Tanya asks a woman walking by, if there are taxis around. She asks where we’re going and brings us there and gives us a tour of town.

It’s a wonderful place. Restores ones faith in humanity.
Maine is top on my list when I next venture out of the Chesapeake. I figure it'll require 6-8 weeks of vacation to build in enough "bad weather buffer" and enough time to actually enjoy the visit. I do actually save up that much vacation, so it's doable.

The boat is mostly ready. I'd like to replace the engine HX and the potable water heater and see if I can get the radar working.

I figure I would do this in July/August or August/September. Your stories only reinforce that I should do this.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168
post #19 of 26 Old 08-09-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax_MD View Post
I figure it'll require 6-8 weeks of vacation .....
That would be outstanding, but I don’t think it fully requires that much time. We’ve always done it in two weeks. Admittedly, we would love one more. You’re a bit more than twice as far away, which is a factor.

Our program for the trip north has been to sail on day 1 to the western side of the canal. That is a moderate day sail, but in the 5-7 hr range. Then we depart there on day 2 and overnight to arrive on day 3. It took 26hrs underway, for thstnleg, the last two times, although, this year we got much further out east than last.

So call it 3 calendar days to get there, even though it’s really done over a 48 hr period. I think you might need to add 2 days, if your plan is for a couple of stops, with a couple of overnights. If you want to daylight coastal hop the whole way, I would double it.

We daylight on our way back, it took 4 full days. But we did enjoy some of our favs on the way home, such as Hadley Harbor and Cuttyhunk, which we passed by on our way north.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #20 of 26 Old 08-09-2018
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to Ajax_MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
That would be outstanding, but I don’t think it fully requires that much time. We’ve always done it in two weeks. Admittedly, we would love one more. You’re a bit more than twice as far away, which is a factor.

Our program for the trip north has been to sail on day 1 to the western side of the canal. That is a moderate day sail, but in the 5-7 hr range. Then we depart there on day 2 and overnight to arrive on day 3. It took 26hrs underway, for thstnleg, the last two times, although, this year we got much further out east than last.

So call it 3 calendar days to get there, even though it’s really done over a 48 hr period. I think you might need to add 2 days, if your plan is for a couple of stops, with a couple of overnights. If you want to daylight coastal hop the whole way, I would double it.

We daylight on our way back, it took 4 full days. But we did enjoy some of our favs on the way home, such as Hadley Harbor and Cuttyhunk, which we passed by on our way north.

You have twice the waterline length that I do, ya know. I think that gives you a healthy speed advantage.

Alacrity, 1981 Tartan 33 #168

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in