How bad is my main sail? - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 38 Old 08-10-2018

Re: How bad is my main sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
So you don't have anything useful to say?

Which phrase applies to you; 'If you don't have anything good to say...' or 'A wise man holds his tongue and is thought a fool; a fool opens his mouth..."
Sorry but your photo does not show anything that could potentially be used to evaluate the condition of the mainsail. What it does show is you don't know how to hank on your jib. While Bleemus' comment was made to funny and at your expense, it is probably the best advice you have gotten so far. Some day you can look back at that photo and join us in laughing.

Find someone who knows how to sail, possibly someone who races and knows how to get the most out your sails and boat performance. Even if it costs you a case of beer or dinner it would be a better investment in your sailing skills than a new sail. A well trimmed jib will make a huge difference in boat performance. The jib slot accelerates air over the mainsail giving a lot of it's driving force. It needs to be hanked on to the forestay to get the most from your boat.
tschmidty likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 Old 08-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
I used to head over to the coast and there are some shops over there I'd give my business too, but blew an axle on the trailer coming back from my last trip and decided to put the trailer repair money into a slip for the next year or two. On my trips to Pamlico sound, the heavy winds (15-20 almost always) don't make sail shape or trim much of a priority and I can get hull speed just hacking around, but trying to learn a bit more dealing with light winds on the lake.

So looking to head to the coast after I get the trailer repaired. I know I can get 90% of the sail I want but I want to get someone to look at the whole rig and not just some pictures.
I see you are in Charlotte, I assume on a lake near by? Lake Norman maybe. And it sounds like you take the boat to the Pamlico Sound on occasion.

If you are planning, or could be convinced, to head to the Oriental NC vicinity I'd be happy to meet up, have a look and offer my thoughts FWIW. PM me if you'd like
tschmidty and troy2000 like this.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #23 of 38 Old 08-10-2018

First things first... Learn basic sail trimming techniques. A poorly trimmed new sail is no better than an old, baggy sail. Don't invest a lot of money in a new sail at least until you can trim it well enough to benefit from it. You can learn by sailing with others who have experience, or you can learn by reading, or by asking questions here, online.

The most basic adjustments to the shape of the mainsail are the luff tension and the foot tension. If your boat doesn't have a means of adjusting those tensions, you need to add those devices and practice using them (an outhaul and a downhaul or similar device.) Generally, you increase tension on them in stronger winds and ease them in light air. I see lots of experienced sailors who put about the same amount of tension on the luff and foot every time they sail. They don't understand how much difference it makes to get it just right. A full sail shape powers it up and a flat shape depowers it.

The picture doesn't show much, but I don't see anything wrong with the mainsail.
tschmidty likes this.

post #24 of 38 Old 08-10-2018 Thread Starter

@jephotog thanks, but as I mentioned earlier it is a jury rigged roller set flying, I do know to hank it on if I wanted to get a real sail shape. It just looks scary to me how baggy the bottom of that main is. Will try adding some tension via outhaul and downhaul and see how it goes. The other issue is I feel like the forestay is too long and I can't get enough tension on it to get a good luff shape on jib. As it is the mast has a bit of backward rake so probably first step is replacing the standing rigging and being able to get proper tension.

Thanks for the offer @bristol299bob , I'll take you up on it when I get my trailer fixed and can travel again. Love Oriental although the sail back from Ocracoke to Oriental always ends up being an upwind battle. And yeah, Lake Norman at the Lake Norman Sailing Club.

@sailor mon, yeah that is my first step is to learn to get the most out of what I have, but good to hear that that baggy of a main at the bottom isn't inherently terrible looking. I found a couple blocks I can rig to get some purchase for the outhaul and ordered a cunningham hook.

I tried going out to the races Wednesday so start touching base, but unfortunately it rains every night here these days and this was this past Wednesday.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/se...-say/809095865
post #25 of 38 Old 08-10-2018

Your mainsail could have a racing shelf foot, as someone earlier suggested, but I don't think so. In order to make a deep shelf foot, the sailmaker has to sew an extra piece of sailcloth into the foot of the sail. I don't see that in your sail. I think it just looks very deep because it's tensioned so loosely. I think it will look flatter when the outhaul, mainsheet and luff are tensioned correctly.
post #26 of 38 Old 08-10-2018

My 85 dacron main sail is like this one, bagged out at the foot. IE sail is old enough, stretched etc that it has shape per say. Reality is, has not good shape to it, no matter how tight one pulls the outhaul, halyard etc. The thing that really helped it, was 4+ coats of Sherwin Williams Exterior paint for three fun events with the sail as part of the decoration. That filled in the "missing wax" holes in the cloth etc. But it is still rather bagged out, so it is not as good as the new sail!
Like others, that picture really does not show how good or bad that sail truly is. SWAG on my part. Leaving the jib issue alone! as that was not asked about!

Marty

She drives me boat,
I drives me dinghy!
post #27 of 38 Old 08-10-2018

Here's some guidance on photographing your sails so that a knowledgable person can assess the sail shape: https://www.quantumsails.com/en/reso...aph-sail-shape Although the article is from a particular loft, the advice is pretty generic. I wouldn't be surprised if a loft would suggest that you invest in functional hardware --cunningham, outhaul, and backstay adjuster -- before you sink and money in sails

You would be well served by purchasing Bill Gladstone's pamphlet, Sail Trim and Rig Tuning: A Captain's Quick Guide (Captain's Quick Guides) This provides the best bang for the buck when it comes to shaping sails. I give to those who regularly crew with me.
jephotog likes this.
post #28 of 38 Old 08-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsonian View Post
Here's some guidance on photographing your sails so that a knowledgable person can assess the sail shape: https://www.quantumsails.com/en/reso...aph-sail-shape
That is great advice on evaluating your mainsail.

@tschmidty Sounds like your boat could use a few upgrades beyond a new mainsail.

Consider sailing the hell out of the boat in its current configuration. When you are ready to upgrade, sell your current boat and buy a different one either bigger, faster or in better shape. By the time you re-rig the boat and buy a new suit of sails, you might spend more than a NA 23 is worth.

Jordan
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 38 Old 08-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
That is great advice on evaluating your mainsail.

@tschmidty Sounds like your boat could use a few upgrades beyond a new mainsail.

Consider sailing the hell out of the boat in its current configuration. When you are ready to upgrade, sell your current boat and buy a different one either bigger, faster or in better shape. By the time you re-rig the boat and buy a new suit of sails, you might spend more than a NA 23 is worth.
Lol!

Q: "How can I get better shape out of my mainsail"

A: "Just buy a bigger, better boat!"

Seriously?[emoji849]

Even if your sail is blown out, the advice you have been given regarding rig tuning, and sail control upgrades are guaranteed to make a difference, and shouldn't cost you very much money.

The luff rope, (aka bolt rope), and foot rope may be shrunken and need to be "let out". Converting to loose foot may be an option. It is hard to assess, based on a pic, the condition of the cloth to determine if it is worth putting much money into the sail, but if the cloth has life left a sailmaker can do wonders with a recut.

Another option is to search for another used sail that will fit.

Before any of that you need to get your boat set up with the basic shape control tools: outhaul, Cunningham, and maybe even backstay adjuster.

Post some better pics and we might be able to help more.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
post #30 of 38 Old 08-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
Lol!

Q: "How can I get better shape out of my mainsail"

A: "Just buy a bigger, better boat!"

Seriously?[emoji849]
That is not what I said at all. The point of my suggestion is to sail the hell out of his boat as is, and not to invest $5,000 into a $2,500 boat.

Jordan
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in