How bad is my main sail? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 Old 08-13-2018

Re: How bad is my main sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
That is not what I said at all. The point of my suggestion is to sail the hell out of his boat as is, and not to invest $5,000 into a $2,500 boat.
And my point is that a few simple changes will make a world of difference. None of what has been suggested will cost more than a few hundred, let alone $5000. Not only can he make his boat infinitely more enjoyable to sail, he will gain valuable knowledge that can be applied to all future boats he may own. That $2500 boat is the perfect platform to learn and experiment on. Clearly, even the OP, with their limited experience recognizes that something is not right, and wants to make it better, and any improvements that he makes will make the boat easier to sell when he does decide to upgrade.

Telling him to just "sail the hell out of it" is like telling someone to drive the hell out a car that is running on 3 cylinders...it will go, but not very well.

Figure out how to improve the shape of your sail, and THEN sail the hell out of it!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
chef2sail and jwing like this.

2011 Jeanneau 39i Azura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 08-13-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
That is not what I said at all. The point of my suggestion is to sail the hell out of his boat as is, and not to invest $5,000 into a $2,500 boat.
Thanks, and you are not wrong. But at this point I have a boat I bought for $1000 in a slip that costs $1500 a year so clearly I am not good at the money thing :-).

On the other hand a new sail for this size boat is < $700 so not breaking the bank.

But I definitely appreciate all the advice, a lot of good advice!
jephotog likes this.
post #33 of 38 Old 08-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
Thanks, and you are not wrong. But at this point I have a boat I bought for $1000 in a slip that costs $1500 a year so clearly I am not good at the money thing :-).

On the other hand a new sail for this size boat is < $700 so not breaking the bank.

But I definitely appreciate all the advice, a lot of good advice!
So far you have made a wise investment, and it has paid off, you are learning to sail and sounds like you are really enjoying it. Just keep things in perspective, you mentioned, new mainsail, new standing rigging and roller furling as future investments, by the time you finish upgrading the wiring and a new motor you will have twice into the boat than it is worth. As long as you can afford it and enjoy spending the money go for it, but somewhere along the way you are no longer making a wise investment.

My first boat was a Chrysler 22 I paid $2500 for plus two years of slip fees. My only regret was buying a new mainsail for it, the resulting performance change was underwhelming.

You seem set on buying a new mainsail, so do it. Just make sure you have enough left over to solve your headsail issues, to me that would be first priority. A new mainsail would likely benefit from a cunningham and outhaul, make sure you factor that into the purchase cost.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 38 Old 08-14-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks. I got the cunningham hook last night and have blocks to rig the outhaul so will be poking at that next time I can get out. Motor is good on the boat. I'm not set on a new main at all and am encouraged by a lot of responses here to work with what I have. The standing rigging would mainly be the forestay to shorten it a bit. I have both backstay and forestay adjusters all the way in and the mast still has a backward rake and I feel like the boat has a bit more weather helm than it should. If I ease the backstay I feel like my forestay is way too slack.

Value wise it is more a case of the Spirit 23 is the largest displacement trailer sailor I can tow without needing a big truck. I actually really like the lines of it and it has a large pop top that gives me standing headroom at 6'3" under it. It has passed the 4 days on Pamlico sound with the admiral test multiple times!

Anything else ends up being either a big boat (28-35ft) which is kind of overkill for a lake boat that is 30 minutes from my house (ie no overnight) or a nicer trailer sailor which is either going to come with all the same projects I have already tackled on this boat or cost $6-10K+. And then it would just be "nicer" not necessarily better. So I honestly don't see myself moving to a new boat any time soon. I don't ever plan to get my money out of this one but I do plan to keep getting a lot of joy out of it!
jwing likes this.
post #35 of 38 Old 08-14-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
And my point is that a few simple changes will make a world of difference. None of what has been suggested will cost more than a few hundred, let alone $5000. Not only can he make his boat infinitely more enjoyable to sail, he will gain valuable knowledge that can be applied to all future boats he may own. That $2500 boat is the perfect platform to learn and experiment on...
That has been my experience on my $1k 19'er. A few hundred dollars worth of improvements taught me a LOT. Those same improvements would cost a few thousand dollars on a bigger boat. Had I started with bigger boat, I would not have gambled on those changes and I would have missed out on the learning opportunities.
tschmidty likes this.
post #36 of 38 Old 08-14-2018
Senior Moment Member

It's a blooper that can be hanked on for reaching.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #37 of 38 Old 08-14-2018
Above 5 knots

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
It's a blooper
Yep definitely a blooper.
Before we worry about the mainsail, we need that jib addressed.
Otherwise the answer is new sails will make a huge difference, but only if you have them fitted for your boat/equipment correctly. Putting a hanked on jib on a furler boat is an example of wrong sail for the job, and honestly going to prevent any serious conversation about the main.

Frankly we aren't juding, I've flown bedsheets for the helluva it, if it works who cares.
but you asked a sail performance question and had a glaring error with a sail. Sorry if most of us are focusing on it. You could fix that mainsail and not really get an appreciable performance improvement cause that jib is a mess.

NO don't spend $5000 on sails on a $2500 boat (I've done that for the record - yes I am the stupid one). Anyway, get your sails working the way they are designed first, then we'll deal with whether they are up to the task. If you have to strip that furler off, use the forestay and hank that headsail on to fix some of this.. after all its a baragain right? Lets sail it that way.. then if the mainsail is trashed, we start to troll the used sails bargain basements. or Ebay.
jephotog and Scotty C-M like this.

MINI MOO, a 1983 Wavelength 24 - she's a fast cow!
post #38 of 38 Old 08-15-2018
Old enough to know better

On a boat like this I don't think new sails would make sense for a couple of years. You have plenty to keep you busy getting it set up correctly. On a boat that size I would not worry too much about roller furling, sure it is a bit more convenient, but that is not going to be that big of a sail to deal with, so just hank it on. I would spend at least a year on the boat before buying anything more than a couple of hundred dollars. Then after getting it set up correctly and seeing how it sails then you can make an educated decision as to if the sails need to go, or if you even want a roller furler. By the way the CDI is the last furler I would buy. There are other options that seem to have much better reviews for the same money. Allado seems to make a pretty solid inexpensive setup. But again wait a while before making any major decisions. If you decide you want to race you may want to spend a bit more or look for a better used set up. Get used to the boat, no sail is going to make the boat a lot faster. Sure you will get a bit closer to the wind, and might get a few tenths more speed, but for just farting around on a local lake it may well not make any difference. Then again it may make you realize that you do want a bigger boat and then you will not have wasted any money on it. Any money you put into this boat you will never see again. New sails might make the boat worth a hundred dollars more.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in