Two Force 100 bbq's now, both are trash. What is a better option? - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-26-2018 Thread Starter

Two Force 100 bbq's now, both are trash. What is a better option?

So over both my boats now I've been less than impressed with the Force 10 BBQ that came with them. They each had slightly different regulators, slightly different grilles, but are both called a "Force 10" as per the metal ID tag.

My complaint? Anything over about a 2kt wind will blow them out. I sit there with a BBQ lighter and constantly click it to re-light the damn things. To give you an idea, on a full propane cylinder, with 2kt or less wind at anchor (I mean barely enough to even keep me set back on the rode, sometimes not even that much), to cook a hamburger I am relighting the unit about 20-30 times. Not only is cooking a tedious endeavor, but it's dangerous when it blows out (quietly) and then just leaks propane till I notice.

What other BBQ options are out there (propane only, not interested in charcoal) that are worth replacing these units with?

PS: It's not a maintenance item, I replaced seals and adjusted the breather plate, I took a filament of wire and cleaned the burners out perfectly, nothing seems to work, these things are headed for the trash and I need a better option for 2019.

EDIT: Didn't notice but I listed it as a 100 not a "Force 10" in the title. Not sure how to fix that.

Some youtube videos, nothing fancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Guyfromthenorth; 08-26-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 08-26-2018
bell ringer

Re: Two Force 100 bbq's now, both are trash. What is a better option?

I have a Magna and have had it about 7 years. It rarely (like I can't remember the last time) blows out. I bet part of it is the location all the way on the stern of the boat.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don0190 For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (08-26-2018)
post #3 of 24 Old 08-26-2018

I've got a Magma Kettle grill (the smaller model) that uses those green cylinders.

I've had it blow out occasionally on windy evenings but that's the exception. The vast majority of the time I light it, set the flame height to whatever I want and never touch it again until dinner is ready. Even on the rare occasion that it blows out, I relight it once or twice, never 20-30 times like you are describing. The kettle style lets you use us the lid as a wind break, you can put it anywhere around the circumference.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
The Following User Says Thank You to bristol299bob For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (08-26-2018)

post #4 of 24 Old 08-26-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyfromthenorth View Post
So over both my boats now I've been less than impressed with the Force 10 BBQ that came with them. They each had slightly different regulators, slightly different grilles, but are both called a "Force 10" as per the metal ID tag.

My complaint? Anything over about a 2kt wind will blow them out. I sit there with a BBQ lighter and constantly click it to re-light the damn things. To give you an idea, on a full propane cylinder, with 2kt or less wind at anchor (I mean barely enough to even keep me set back on the rode, sometimes not even that much), to cook a hamburger I am relighting the unit about 20-30 times. Not only is cooking a tedious endeavor, but it's dangerous when it blows out (quietly) and then just leaks propane till I notice.

What other BBQ options are out there (propane only, not interested in charcoal) that are worth replacing these units with?

PS: It's not a maintenance item, I replaced seals and adjusted the breather plate, I took a filament of wire and cleaned the burners out perfectly, nothing seems to work, these things are headed for the trash and I need a better option for 2019.
I be glad to take it off your hands..pm me if so desired..

Thanks,

Clay AA3JY
s/v Tango
post #5 of 24 Old 08-26-2018
Old soul

Two boats ago I had a round ss Magma BBQ. It worked great. I loved it. I should have kept it when I sold that boat…

My current boat came with a Force-10 BBQ. Had the same issues as you with it constantly going out. It took forever to heat up. It cooked unevenly. And it completely rusted out by the beginning of this season (one season in salt air).

If I get another BBQ it will be a Magma.
SanderO likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
Guyfromthenorth (08-27-2018)
post #6 of 24 Old 08-26-2018

The Force 10's have changed over the years. Mine is an older unit with a series of holes in the ends to allow air through...I guess. I used stainless fender washers and machine screws to block all of these holes. I also put a swivelled shield over the lighting opening.
These measures improved the performance dramatically.

I have always thought that clamping the barbeque to the highest, windiest point in the cockpit was a dumb idea...not only because of the blow-out possibilities but also because just reaching the food is so awkward. I long ago built a stand with a protective pad which sits on the cockpit seat, it's way more convenient. Of course, the barbeque is stored away in a locker.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulinnanaimo For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 24 Old 08-26-2018
Dirt Free

I've had all the name brand marine bbq's at one time or another and have never been satisfied with any of them. The Magma did stay lit in high winds but no matter how low I turned down the flame it stayed far too hot. The burners corroded through in less than a season and at $65Cdn for a burner I was not happy. Two regulators also $65Cdn each lasted less than two weeks. The igniters also last about two weeks (forget what they cost). I threw it in the dumpster last week and bought a $68Cdn, stainless steel bbq at Walmart. When it dies I'll toss the whole thing and get another .... lots cheaper than trying to keep a Magna going.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
The Following User Says Thank You to boatpoker For This Useful Post:
post #8 of 24 Old 08-26-2018

We solved this problem by hooking our magma kettle to the main propane tanks in the boat. We did this as part of the boat construction, all the right valves, tanks in compartment with low drain overboard, the solenoid, etc, etc, etc. Routed a separate hose to a plate near where we hang the grill.

Ever since then the thing lights right up in strong winds.

I don't really know why this works better than the little canister tanks, but it really does.

One other critical rule. For those of you like us that are adverse to sailing with the grill hung on the rail, always, and I mean always, hang the grill before opening any anchorage arrival libations. Don't ask me how I know.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
post #9 of 24 Old 08-26-2018

Occasional reaming of orfices with a wire file (ask a gas welder) helps robuster flame. I sure liked the little Weberqu. Never blew out,Cast aluminium so no rust .Mounted outboard on davit rail Could sit with glass in hand with flipper in the other. A bear to devise brackets and clamps but that's why we have ingenuity
The Following User Says Thank You to Capt Len For This Useful Post:
post #10 of 24 Old 08-26-2018

I loved my old Force 10 BBQ. Used it until the insides rusted to bits. I moved to a Dickinson Sea-B-Que, only because I wanted something a bit bigger.

Ironically, I found it much easier to keep the Force 10 hot in a breeze. Perhaps it was because I had the swiveling rail mount and could position it to have its back facing the wind, while mounted on the side of the boat. Still easy to access. My Dickinson had a quick connect mount, but it doesn’t swivel. Side to wind, must create a breeze in the wrong place inside of the new one. I don’t bother with it, if wind is over 15 kts, unless I don’t need very high heat.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnewaska For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in