Sailing dinghy recommendations - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 62 Old 09-01-2018

Re: Sailing dinghy recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I hate to be one of those posters, who asks for input, only to come back to their own idea. Lots of this discussion really helped me think through my needs/desire. The Trinka 10 seems to be checking a lot of the boxes. Just looked it up and found itís positively buoyant.

My big question is whether itís worth the $6Kish to have one made.
That's a bit of money Minne. My thinking, for me, is to go cheaply at first and if it works out and is to my liking I will move up. The WBs have a spotty rep but am glad and take comfort Arcb enjoys his.

Another point that may have an effect is where you will sailing, I know I would be more reticent to use it in colder waters but plan to be mostly in warmer waters.
Minnewaska likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 Old 09-01-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
How about a portable lateen sail kit that could be used on any rib, kayak, etc? Many come in a carry case thats small enough to carry on a commercial jet and folks bring them all over the world with them to put on any small RIB,rental canoe, kayak, row boat, etc that's handy.
Have you ever rowed a RIB for exercise? lol
Minnewaska likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 09-01-2018 at 09:42 AM.
post #23 of 62 Old 09-01-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
That's a bit of money Minne. ....
Wait a minute, no one comes here for a sober, rational answer. Thatís what we have wives for.

Ironically, my wife likes the idea, even after I had her guess what a new one costs and she was 3x off. That reception is almost as good as her being willing to stand a night watch!
ThereYouAre likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #24 of 62 Old 09-01-2018

Quote:
Wait a minute, no one comes here for a sober, rational answer. Thatís what we have wives for.

Ironically, my wife likes the idea, even after I had her guess what a new one costs and she was 3x off. That reception is almost as good as her being willing to stand a night watch!
Obviously you must of plied her with drink before popping the question. To you I say - Well done, sir! (watch out when she sobers up)
Minnewaska likes this.
post #25 of 62 Old 09-01-2018

Quote:
I hate to be one of those posters, who asks for input, only to come back to their own idea. Lots of this discussion really helped me think through my needs/desire. The Trinka 10 seems to be checking a lot of the boxes. Just looked it up and found itís positively buoyant.

My big question is whether itís worth the $6Kish to have one made.
I am not at all surprised by the price. In the spring I priced out a 12 ft Welsford SCAMP and the price was about $16000 US. A close acquantance bought his and hers matching kayaks this summer for $13000. Nice, built in North America fibreglass sailing dinghies are expensive.

For comparison I checked a new Sunfish is $3700. A new WB 10 is $2800, however, the WB is a plastic, not a fibreglass boat and doesn't have the nice water tight storage lockers.

Cool the Twinkas are Bruce Bingham designs. Never seen one in person.
Minnewaska likes this.
post #26 of 62 Old 09-01-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
I am not at all surprised by the price. In the spring I priced out a 12 ft Welsford SCAMP and the price was about $16000 US. A close acquantance bought his and hers matching kayaks this summer for $13000. Nice, built in North America fibreglass sailing dinghies are expensive.

For comparison I checked a new Sunfish is $3700. A new WB 10 is $2800, however, the WB is a plastic, not a fibreglass boat and doesn't have the nice water tight storage lockers.

Cool the Twinkas are Bruce Bingham designs. Never seen one in person.
I got my 10' Trinka for $3500 with a trailer, which of course I didn't need. It was immaculate; even the varnish was perfect.
If you are patient, you could do better.
Minnewaska and Arcb like this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 09-01-2018 at 07:35 PM.
post #27 of 62 Old 09-01-2018

Just throwing something else into the ring....

If your wife also likes to paddle and poke around you could do twin kayaks with a sail rig.
Maxing versatility...

Weight and size of the individuval components easily handled and stowed.
Solid platform and some of them will really scoot.
Scoot or poke...
Minnewaska and Arcb like this.
post #28 of 62 Old 09-01-2018

Minne, kids are off to bed so I decided to do some comp digging for you.

The Minto dinghy that was mentioned earlier is still made by Whitehall, new price is $6559 here Minto 9? Rowing Tender ? Whitehall Rowing & Sail

GHboats offers a boat they call the Navigator, looks kind of like a Trinka (not John Wellsfords Navigator, a 10 footer) $3395. https://www.ghboats.com/ordering/prices/ Go up to their 12 footer and you are looking at about $7k, so it might be worth putting the micro scope over the GHboats Navigator and comparing it to the Trinka.

Portland Pudgy is cheap, less than a WB. Looks like an interesting boat, but maybe not quite what you have in mind. Portland Pudgy Prices | Portland Pudgy

The small ply wood designs all seem very practical and cheap, but I get the impression you want something more traditional in appearance and I kind of think you don't mind spending a few bucks more for something that really blings.

The Kayak argument is valid. Hobie Tis and AIs are crazy fun and quick enough. I raced against this catted up Kruger and man were they fast, nearly kept up with my P16, but I am thinking you are not looking for ripping fast and more thinking lazy Saturday afternoons maybe with a beer or two and some stern chatting.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1819.JPG  
Minnewaska likes this.
post #29 of 62 Old 09-01-2018

Excellent Arcb!

A note on the Minto, Whitehall only makes the rowing version. The fellow who was building the sailing model has stopped making them recently. There are usually a few available on Craigslist though, at least in the Puget Sound.

GH Boats makes some fantastic dinghies too. Their 9' dinghy is similar enough to the Minto that they can be confused from a distance. They have several great models in various sizes. In fact, when the family gets a bit bigger I may spring for the 12' model. Or possibly the PT11 ( PT11Description ), but that would be a boat I built myself.
Arcb likes this.
post #30 of 62 Old 09-01-2018

Another portable sailboatstogo option uses an inflatable kayak. The Sea Eagle 420 is nice little vessel. I bought it for a cruise last year and used it to explore the anchorages each morning to take photos. I can attest to Arcb's story of exploring a harbor in a small boat, being a very social thing. Paddling around desolation sound got us invited aboard a 50' Valiant for happy hour.

I have used it locally to explore mountain lakes and can even take it in whitewater. I bought it with a full upgraded sail package, cost was around $2 thousand with shipping. I can't attest to the sailing qualities because the sail package is still in the box unused.

Minnewaska likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in