Sailing dinghy recommendations - SailNet Community
 58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 08-31-2018 Thread Starter

Sailing dinghy recommendations

We hang a typical RIB from the davits and will continue to, but Iíve always wanted to bring a sailing dinghy along as well. I could fit one up to about 10ft, upside down on the foredeck.

My first sail ever as a kid was in a Dyer. I see an old Eli available on Craigslist. Any recommendations,
particularly if still made? Any warnings?

Iím looking for more of a bath tub to gently cruise around anchorages, maybe even row for exercise, not a SunFish. Saw a Trinka 10 that looked really nice. Are they worth the $$?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 08-31-2018
Old as Dirt!

Re: Sailing dinghy recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
We hang a typical RIB from the davits and will continue to, but Iíve always wanted to bring a sailing dinghy along as well. I could fit one up to about 10ft, upside down on the foredeck.

My first sail ever as a kid was in a Dyer. I see an old Eli available on Craigslist. Any recommendations,
particularly if still made? Any warnings?

Iím looking for more of a bath tub to gently cruise around anchorages, maybe even row for exercise, not a SunFish. Saw a Trinka 10 that looked really nice. Are they worth the $$?
You might care to look into the Tiwal or the Ducky 13 (for the less limber!). Fun boats.
Minnewaska likes this.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
post #3 of 62 Old 08-31-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks. Neat ideas, svH. Looking more for the bathtubs that could be rowed too.

p.s. I’m familiar with the Walker Bay. It would work, but think I prefer bronze attachments to plastic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 62 Old 08-31-2018

If you are up for a winter build project the kit boats from Chesapeake Light Craft are pretty nice boats, I have been around quite a few. For your purposes the Passage Maker Nesting Pram would be pretty slick; quick, stable, beautiful, sails and rows.

https://www.clcboats.com/modules/cat...ooden-boat-kit

At any rate, in the 10 ft range I personally would steer clear of the pointy bows and go with a pram bow. Climbing down from a 50+ ft boat into the bow of a fine bowed dinghy might not be a lot of fun. In that size range the extra stability, space and load carrying capacity of a pram bow is well worth the trade off. I do not have a specific model in mind, but something along the line of a Mirror would be nice.
Minnewaska and wymbly1971 like this.
post #5 of 62 Old 08-31-2018
Trailer Sailer Moderator

As @Arcb suggested, CLC boats are awesome. They're some of my favorites, and if you like assembling boats, they're great.

something completely the other direction may be a Portland Pudgy.

Sailing Dinghy | Portland Pudgy

It does everything you want, and even looks like a bathtub! :-D
Minnewaska and sailforlife like this.

~ Rezz

S/v DreamWeaver
1980 Laguna Windrose 22
post #6 of 62 Old 08-31-2018
Master Mariner

I had a Trinka and loved it, but it wasn't a good primary dinghy. If you want something with enough space for two (10' is a bit small for two adults) you could consider a nesting dinghy. There are some really nice ones out there that sail and row well.
Minnewaska likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 62 Old 08-31-2018

I have and love my Minto. It is a beautiful hard shell dinghy that both rows and sails well. You can see photos and adventures with it on my website at https://ben.lobaugh.net/?s=minto.

What I love about the Minto
- Elegant, classic looks in the water.
- Proven design. The Minto has been around for a long time. It was the dinghy to have in the Northwest till RIBs became popular. It is still a more common dinghy to see.
- The wife thinks it is cute and loves it.
- It rows exceptionally well. Smooth and easy through the water. We rowed a mile out from a marina to our anchorage and it was a piece of cake. Good speed while rowing too.
- It sails like a boss! I regularly get it into the 4 knot range. The Minto is amazingly stable under sail. The wife and I love to go out sailing in it. You sit on the bottom, not on the benches.
- It easily accommodates my wife and two dogs (Lab, Boxer), and myself.
- Easy to get in and out of. Sure it is tippier than a RIB, but once you know how to get in it is easy. I life my dogs by hand over the transom of my Lancer 36 and plop them down into the Minto no problem.
- Super tough fiberglass shell with teak railing.
- Sail rig is easy to set up, can be set up in a couple minutes.
- Sail slides up a track, not a sock! You can raise and lower the sail on demand. There is also a lot of tweakability on the sail, which the racer in me likes. In fact there is a small collections of Mintos on Lake Union, Seattle and we race each other when we are not on our "big boats".
- If desired you can put an up to 4 hp motor on the back.
- Neutrally buoyant. Yes, I filled one to the gunwales with water to test it. The Minto on the back of my neighbors boat .
- Tracks really well when towed. Hardly feel any pull when it is behind my big sailboat.

What I do not love about the Minto
- It can noisily bang the hull. This is not truly a detractor from the boat itself. The issue is endemic to any hard shell dinghy. Figure out how to tie it up properly and there will be no issue. That first night on anchor that is smacked the hull was like an alarm waking me up! Now it is a non-issue.
- Tippier than a RIB. Duh, this is by design of most hard shells vs RIBs. Spend some time with it and you will quickly learn how to deal with the tippiness. Non-boaters get nervous getting in and out of the boat the first few times. I have a RIB also, which I recommend you keep around. It provides a lot of flexibility when cruising when you can decide which dinghy to bring based on wh will be with you.
- Space it tighter than a RIB. Even the smallest RIBs let you sit right on the gunwale without issue. In the Minto you have to be inside. I mentioned my wife, two dogs, and myself fit but there is not much room left. It is not uncomfortable, just full. This is an issue with any hardshell.

Overall I highly recommend the Minto. Great boat. Rows and sails awesome. Looks great.

Here is a pic of my buddy sailing it in the infamous Seattle Duck Dodge race
Minnewaska likes this.
post #8 of 62 Old 08-31-2018

Another cool self build dinghy is the Port Townsend 11 or PT11.

buy_a_pt11

The thought of building my own dinghy appeals to me but the idea of adding yet one more project to complete does not. There are schools that you can attend that will walk you through building your own in a week.

https://www.thewoodenboatschool.com/...rly-dinghy.php

https://www.clcboats.com/boatbuilding_classes/
Minnewaska likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #9 of 62 Old 08-31-2018

Dock

Not that I'm biased or anything but you should take a look at a Spindrift. If you're not into building there are used ones for sale. No problem carrying two people while sailing and can be rowed and motored as well.

2013 10? Spindrift ? Wilmington ? NC ? Boats | B&B Yacht Designs
jephotog and Minnewaska like this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
post #10 of 62 Old 08-31-2018

Love our (8ft) Fatty Knees.. !

Fatty Knees Dinghy Design: A solid dinghy that's fun to sail
Minnewaska likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in