Annapolis bans composting toilets for cruisers on hook? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 88 Old 09-11-2018

Re: Annapolis bans composting toilets for cruisers on hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
I wonder how they know who has a composter on board.

Other than that, it just silly!
Simple, they wait 5 days and bring their boat by for the required pump-out. If you refuse, then you're outta there. The mooring buoys are closely monitored to make sure everyone pays the fees. Keeping track of who's pumping out is a natural extension of that.

This is somewhat speculative. I've never stayed for more than 2 nights in a row.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 88 Old 09-11-2018

There are 5 million plus dirty diapers daily going in the trash and they are worried about a composting head that gets disposed every month or 2. How Many Diapers Does a Baby Use a Day? - New Kids Center
post #33 of 88 Old 09-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Simple, they wait 5 days and bring their boat by for the required pump-out. If you refuse, then you're outta there. The mooring buoys are closely monitored to make sure everyone pays the fees. Keeping track of who's pumping out is a natural extension of that.

This is somewhat speculative. I've never stayed for more than 2 nights in a row.
Yes, that is confirmed. There is a boat that monitors the mooring field and anchored boats.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

post #34 of 88 Old 09-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Let's bear in mind that this kerfuffle is the result of disposing of waste in litter basket in a popular park. I think this is a problem that composting head users need to be a part of solving. Like many of the problems we face, we need to look at it from both sides. Waste should be disposed of properly and discretely, and it was not. or as AA said, "Someone saw something and it pissed that someone off...that's the bottom line...."

Let's focus on a solution to that. That will prevent the spread of rules. We need to self-police.
That is usually the root of the problem with most things, that the very visible and obnoxious few that don't/won't practice self discipline make a problem for the rest of us who are good citizens and neighbors. How to self police these miscreants who have little to no regard for others is the tough part.

Unfortunately too many only give consideration to WIIFM and little else so if they can't see an immediate benefit to themselves then they simply won't comply and only are willing to do things that appear to have a high W(hats)I(n)I(t)F(or)M(e) factor. Raising the WIIFM factor so they can see the benefit and want to be responsible without rules, penalties and enforcement is going to require some planning along with a community effort. It will also need to be done in a manner that is not going to put the burden of financing this on already stressed tax payers.
post #35 of 88 Old 09-12-2018

Sounds like Annapolis isnít pushing back on long term transients, but to be clear, I was not referring to year round. Theyíve defined this policy at one week. I was wondering if they didnít want people staying for a month or two. Obviously, in the warmer months. Iíve heard of municipalities limiting moorage length before.

I know some believe the composting heads will become the majority, but they certainly arenít in my neck of the woods. There is a good argument to establish disposal rules: where, how, frequent, etc, just like the pumpout. However, they may find that harder to monitor, like the required pumpout Iím reading above. I suppose it possible that they simply do not have a dumpster location they consider appropriate for this. I donít see a municipality incurring cost for what still seems like an exception: composters.

Once they see them will greater frequency, that would change. For now, itís just a real shame that someone abused this and started the ruckus.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #36 of 88 Old 09-12-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Yes, that is confirmed. There is a boat that monitors the mooring field and anchored boats.
What I donít understand is, why not just accommodate the compost head users instead of going to the draconian measure of banning them. Theyíve already gone to the incredible expense and bother to have a mobile pump out facility. It would take very little effort to accommodate compost effluent with this service already in place. In fact, weíve heard from one compost head user (is it here, or on another thread?) who already gets his stamp of approval every five days. So clearly itís possible.

I would really love to know the scale of the problem, or the number and type of incidents, which prompted such an apparent over-reaction. I have to wonder if those in charge are simply people, who for some irrational reason, are squeamish about the whole ďcomposter headĒ concept.

In discussing CHs on line Iíve run into a few people who just viscerally despise the whole idea, and will create any number of rationalizations to justify their disgust response. Interestingly, Iíve never run into this reaction when discussing it with actual fellow cruisers. Most are quite interested when the subject comes up (which isnít that often). Iíve have a few decide to get one after they see ours in action.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
post #37 of 88 Old 09-12-2018

Think some of this is predicated by geography. It’s a long way to get outside the 5 mile limit from Annapolis. Boats come in to enjoy the town not to go sailing so anchor/ moor and don’t move until time to leave. Pathogenic E.coli and other pathogens (shigella etc.) is a real risk both on land and in the bay.
When cruising New England it’s no biggie to either get 5 m away from any land or use a pump out boat or pump out when you come in for fuel. In your home waters you can often pay for a flag. You put it out and the pump out boat comes to you even when you’re not on the boat. The municipalities are set up for a holding tank based system. Other systems are outliers. In the view of the municipality it seems they are viewed as a risk and expense. Given human nature one would think the solution would be for the pump out boat to collect compost on their rounds and dispose of it correctly. One would still have the issue of urine. However this would mean additional expense and complexity. Also pump out boat operators may object. It is far easier to ban composting heads solving the issue at no expense with little lost in the municipalities income from lost cruiser visitors traffic given the lack of numbers using composting heads.
If this is their thinking suspect the ban will stand and not unlikely become more prevalent in other locales.
I live in fear of municipalities generating rules concerning grey water as has been done in other countries.

s/v Hippocampus
Outbound 46

Last edited by outbound; 09-12-2018 at 07:25 AM.
post #38 of 88 Old 09-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Iíve have a few decide to get one after they see ours in action.
I trust you gave your audience a Rodinesque pose.
mstern and MikeOReilly like this.
post #39 of 88 Old 09-12-2018

According to the CDC there has been Pandemic Cholera impacting the world since 1961 and a few years back they even had a minor outbreak (a few confirmed cases of type Non-01 in 2013 which they quickly isolated and contained) in West Palm Beach at a very posh resort so they are with good cause acting out of an abundance of caution.

Its not worse here in the US because of the pro-activeness of CDC and Municipalities in preventing outbreaks. I'd probably be more concerned if they were not being so proactive in preventing outbreaks here in the US.
post #40 of 88 Old 09-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
I trust you gave your audience a Rodinesque pose.
Mike appears to be quite a Thinker but I do not believe we need him to demonstrate to that level of detail and granularity. Smooth Move might..... Never mind. ;>
MikeOReilly likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in