SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/325696-learning-mistakes-ours-theirs.html)

caberg 09-12-2018 03:31 PM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.

That was a fun read. I commend your level-headed, objective and fair portrayal of the facts -- even complimenting the captain ("He is a good mechanic") near the end after everything you went through. That story could have been told with a lot more emotion and outrage, but I don't think I would have enjoyed reading it as much.

BarryL 09-12-2018 04:24 PM

Hey,

Thanks for sharing.

I will go on long trips only with people and boats I know well.

Barry

Capt Len 09-12-2018 04:44 PM

I'm not going to try to best you over a table of empty beer glasses. As I reminisce some of my own tales,I bow to yours .50 years from now some will reread/remember those good old days . My good old adventures mostly were before electronic anything at sea and rampant screwloose companions aplenty.

krisscross 09-14-2018 02:54 PM

I would appreciate suggestions and criticisms regarding our approach, starting with the choice of the route, timing, gear, and so forth. We knew some of our choices were not optimal, such as the timing, but it was very hard to change. Then there was the obvious lack of critical spares for various systems. Some day I hope to run this route again, hopefully on a better boat and with a better crew, without being forced to hurry.

RegisteredUser 09-14-2018 02:58 PM

My understanding is that 8 foot wont clear the bar into the Rio

krisscross 09-14-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051552788)
My understanding is that 8 foot wont clear the bar into the Rio

That is true. But the locals use motor boats to pull deeper draft vessels over the bar sideways and heeled over.

Capt Len 09-14-2018 05:35 PM

Determine which way to deeper water.(A bar should be easy) From one stabilizer pole hang anchors and 4 reluctant scientists outboard as far as possible. Full Ahead ,wagging hard to port/stbd.Pike pole stuck in sand by the bow to determine success??. Nearest assistance probably next summer after the thaw.

RegisteredUser 09-14-2018 06:55 PM

As you know it...what is the sailing history of that boat and its owner?
How did you and the other crew member become involved with him?
How long had the boat been in Moss Pt/NO area?

krisscross 09-15-2018 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051552836)
As you know it...what is the sailing history of that boat and its owner?
How did you and the other crew member become involved with him?
How long had the boat been in Moss Pt/NO area?

Boat was completed around 10 years ago. Owner sailed it only a couple of times on short day trips. I have heard of him and his plans from an acquaintance of mine. Same with the other crew member. They were in NO area from the time boat construction started.

JimsCAL 09-15-2018 09:21 AM

I was asked yesterday if I wanted to help move a Hinckley from Oyster Bay, LI to Maine. Boat had had some cosmetic damage from banging against another boat while on a guest mooring. Owner is new to sailing. I passed. After hearing this story, it's clear to me I made the correct decision.