SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs. (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/325696-learning-mistakes-ours-theirs.html)

zedboy 09-17-2018 03:53 PM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Thanks Kriss, you don't know how many people may end up better sailors by learning from your mistakes.

(made really fun reading too!)

PhilCarlson 09-18-2018 12:53 PM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Excellent read, thanks for sharing!

krisscross 09-19-2018 03:17 AM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Thank you all. :)
Iím currently between boats but that will change in spring, so stay tuned for more tales of dumb and dumber!

Minnewaska 09-19-2018 05:48 AM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by krisscross (Post 2051552786)
I would appreciate suggestions and criticisms regarding our approach......

Interesting read and I'm glad you are safe in the end. The biggest take away has to be your overwhelming desire to make this trip overriding your better judgement. You write of many things you knew very well were not right, before you left the slip. You had to personally clean and paint the bilge? Never checked for spare filters?

It reminds me of a book written by Ed Viesturs, No Shortcuts to the Top. Ed is a world class mountaineer (Everest 7 times) and his book is about how he's stayed safe in one of the most dangerous sports in the world. The bottom line is not simply knowing the right thing to do, it's whether you will do it in the moment. He tells of several hard safety rules that all climbers know and would insist upon, while jawing in base camp. However, when on the mountain, most that got hurt didn't follow the rules they knew, out of an overwhelming desire to get to the top.

Sounds like you learned this lesson. You must have the discipline to apply safety standards, not just know them. You tried to take a shortcut to the long ocean passage experience you wanted and looked past several safety requirements you knew very well, back on land. It will make you stronger for the next time.

krisscross 09-19-2018 10:09 AM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051553868)
You write of many things you knew very well were not right, before you left the slip. You had to personally clean and paint the bilge? Never checked for spare filters.

Yes, I should have been more proactive and not take captainís word for granted, especially when I knew how utterly disorganized he was. Great point.

RegisteredUser 09-19-2018 05:49 PM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Well......all involved had a real shake down cruise/experience.
Nothing lost...maybe lots learned

denverd0n 09-20-2018 09:35 AM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Good story. Sounds like a lot of worthwhile experience for you. Now, personally, I'm kind of curious what the owner did next, or if the boat is still sitting in Puerto Barrios.

tschmidty 09-20-2018 10:16 AM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051553868)
Interesting read and I'm glad you are safe in the end. The biggest take away has to be your overwhelming desire to make this trip overriding your better judgement. You write of many things you knew very well were not right, before you left the slip. You had to personally clean and paint the bilge? Never checked for spare filters?

A lot of times this is what comes from experience. First you actually make the mistakes even when you "know" better, second time you listen harder to that voice in the back of your mind.

Saying no to yourself can be a whole lot harder than saying yes. I try to always judge an iffy decision by this criteria; If it goes bad, will I look back and say "That was a dumba$$ decision." Or will you honestly be able to say, "I didn't see that possibility?" If it is the former, you need to be judge the risk/reward and be prepared with a plan if it all goes south.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

krisscross 09-20-2018 12:21 PM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by denverd0n (Post 2051554086)
Good story. Sounds like a lot of worthwhile experience for you. Now, personally, I'm kind of curious what the owner did next, or if the boat is still sitting in Puerto Barrios.

From what little I have heard, he is trying to get to Panama single handing that boat, after completing the most pressing repairs in Puerto Barrios. He got an extra 55 gallons of diesel in a plastic drum while I was still there. He was planning to basically motor all the way to Panama. There were a couple of people considering joining him along the way. I gave him detailed information regarding marina and boat yard in La Ceiba, Honduras, where he could work on the boat in comfort, while also waiting for the new crew. But I donít really know where he is now. The only contact I have is through his wife, who is rather unhappy with me at this moment. I also suspect the captain might not be entirely forthcoming with information regarding his progress. Itís a bit of a mystery. :|

krisscross 09-20-2018 12:30 PM

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tschmidty (Post 2051554094)
I try to always judge an iffy decision by this criteria; If it goes bad, will I look back and say "That was a dumba$$ decision." Or will you honestly be able to say, "I didn't see that possibility?" If it is the former, you need to be judge the risk/reward and be prepared with a plan if it all goes south.

Dude, you are playing it way too safe. :wink
I have made plenty of dumba$$ decisions with full realization what the consequences might be. And some (if not most) of them turned out fine in the end. I think as we get older we play it much too safe, missing out on a lot of fun.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome