Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs. - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 83Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 52 Old 09-17-2018
Doesn't sail enough

Re: Learning from mistakes, ours and theirs.

Thanks Kriss, you don't know how many people may end up better sailors by learning from your mistakes.

(made really fun reading too!)

'78 Dolphin 31
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 09-18-2018

Dock

Excellent read, thanks for sharing!
zeehag likes this.
post #33 of 52 Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter

Thank you all.
Iím currently between boats but that will change in spring, so stay tuned for more tales of dumb and dumber!
zeehag likes this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato

post #34 of 52 Old 09-19-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
I would appreciate suggestions and criticisms regarding our approach......
Interesting read and I'm glad you are safe in the end. The biggest take away has to be your overwhelming desire to make this trip overriding your better judgement. You write of many things you knew very well were not right, before you left the slip. You had to personally clean and paint the bilge? Never checked for spare filters?

It reminds me of a book written by Ed Viesturs, No Shortcuts to the Top. Ed is a world class mountaineer (Everest 7 times) and his book is about how he's stayed safe in one of the most dangerous sports in the world. The bottom line is not simply knowing the right thing to do, it's whether you will do it in the moment. He tells of several hard safety rules that all climbers know and would insist upon, while jawing in base camp. However, when on the mountain, most that got hurt didn't follow the rules they knew, out of an overwhelming desire to get to the top.

Sounds like you learned this lesson. You must have the discipline to apply safety standards, not just know them. You tried to take a shortcut to the long ocean passage experience you wanted and looked past several safety requirements you knew very well, back on land. It will make you stronger for the next time.
SVAuspicious and krisscross like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #35 of 52 Old 09-19-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You write of many things you knew very well were not right, before you left the slip. You had to personally clean and paint the bilge? Never checked for spare filters.
Yes, I should have been more proactive and not take captainís word for granted, especially when I knew how utterly disorganized he was. Great point.
zeehag likes this.

Plato
post #36 of 52 Old 09-19-2018

Well......all involved had a real shake down cruise/experience.
Nothing lost...maybe lots learned
zeehag and krisscross like this.
post #37 of 52 Old 09-20-2018

Good story. Sounds like a lot of worthwhile experience for you. Now, personally, I'm kind of curious what the owner did next, or if the boat is still sitting in Puerto Barrios.
post #38 of 52 Old 09-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Interesting read and I'm glad you are safe in the end. The biggest take away has to be your overwhelming desire to make this trip overriding your better judgement. You write of many things you knew very well were not right, before you left the slip. You had to personally clean and paint the bilge? Never checked for spare filters?
A lot of times this is what comes from experience. First you actually make the mistakes even when you "know" better, second time you listen harder to that voice in the back of your mind.

Saying no to yourself can be a whole lot harder than saying yes. I try to always judge an iffy decision by this criteria; If it goes bad, will I look back and say "That was a dumba$$ decision." Or will you honestly be able to say, "I didn't see that possibility?" If it is the former, you need to be judge the risk/reward and be prepared with a plan if it all goes south.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
krisscross likes this.
post #39 of 52 Old 09-20-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Good story. Sounds like a lot of worthwhile experience for you. Now, personally, I'm kind of curious what the owner did next, or if the boat is still sitting in Puerto Barrios.
From what little I have heard, he is trying to get to Panama single handing that boat, after completing the most pressing repairs in Puerto Barrios. He got an extra 55 gallons of diesel in a plastic drum while I was still there. He was planning to basically motor all the way to Panama. There were a couple of people considering joining him along the way. I gave him detailed information regarding marina and boat yard in La Ceiba, Honduras, where he could work on the boat in comfort, while also waiting for the new crew. But I donít really know where he is now. The only contact I have is through his wife, who is rather unhappy with me at this moment. I also suspect the captain might not be entirely forthcoming with information regarding his progress. Itís a bit of a mystery.

Plato
post #40 of 52 Old 09-20-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
I try to always judge an iffy decision by this criteria; If it goes bad, will I look back and say "That was a dumba$$ decision." Or will you honestly be able to say, "I didn't see that possibility?" If it is the former, you need to be judge the risk/reward and be prepared with a plan if it all goes south.
Dude, you are playing it way too safe.
I have made plenty of dumba$$ decisions with full realization what the consequences might be. And some (if not most) of them turned out fine in the end. I think as we get older we play it much too safe, missing out on a lot of fun.

Plato

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in