Hiring a driver to transport car and boat on trailer - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Hiring a driver to transport car and boat on trailer

Has anyone hired anyone to transport their car and boat on a trailer?

It's probably more expensive than it's worth just to save a few hours of driving but it would be kind of nice to have someone else transport my trailerable boat down to say Florida and be able to fly back and forth a few times over the winter.

Anyone done anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-11-2018
Barquito

Re: Hiring a driver to transport car and boat on trailer

Sounds expensive. You might want to keep your boat in North Carolina for a few more weeks. Might need it to get to the grocery store.
Skipper Jer likes this.

Valiant 32
post #3 of 19 Old 09-11-2018

Never done this but since you are doing a vehicle and a boat on a trailer it might be worth looking into the Amtrack Auto Train. This sort of assumes that your vehicle can tow your boat and you own the trailer...

post #4 of 19 Old 09-11-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks, I look at the auto train but it only does Lorton, VA to Fort Lauderdale, FL. You can't load at stops in between. Also somewhat questionable as to whether it would fit, guessing not.

Probably silly. I could just drive it maybe 12 hours or so, leave it, fly back. We have allegiant air that flies to Florida for insanely cheap round trip which is what makes the idea interesting to me.

Any recommendations on a marina that would allow me to store it on the trailer and launch it for me in SW Florida?
post #5 of 19 Old 09-14-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

"I could just drive it "
Yup. One long day, or two shorter ones. If you figure any kind of licensed and insured transport driver is going to be what? $500-$1000? That's not a bad day's pay for yourself instead. And less worry about the car and boat.
Flying back will be cheaper than Amtrak. WAY cheaper.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-16-2018

I wonder if your insurance would cover, if your car was being driven for hire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-16-2018

why don't you find someone to drive your boat down to Florida and when they get there they could have the boat launched and take it for a sail. that way you will even save the time of going and the price of the airfare. looks like the fun of a trailer sailer is wearing off.
jephotog likes this.

"FULL TILT II" 2011 BENETEAU FIRST 30
"GOLD RUSH" PRINDLE 16
post #8 of 19 Old 09-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
why don't you find someone to drive your boat down to Florida and when they get there they could have the boat launched and take it for a sail. that way you will even save the time of going and the price of the airfare. looks like the fun of a trailer sailer is wearing off.
What a useful comment. Why don't you come drive my boat 15 hours down there, rig, and unrig, and drive it back 15 hours for me?

Not that your comment deserves a real answer but maybe it is about maximizing my time sailing? Maybe you are happy sailing your boat over the same patch of water over and over but one of the points of a trailer sailor is to be able to take it new places and sail it. I can do the drive and set up but to justify the 2-4 days on the ends, it would need to be at least a couple of weeks which is really hard to pull off with personal commitments at home. 4-5 days is much easier.

So new plan will be to drive it myself and keep it in a marina or storage yard for a couple months and fly down when I can to get some sailing in.

Last edited by tschmidty; 09-16-2018 at 02:08 PM.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-16-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Minne-
Good point, but the car isn't being hired out, i.e. used for commercial purposes. It is very different, he's looking to *hire* a *driver* and from that point of view, the recreational use of the car is the same. IIRC normally if a driver has insurance, the claim goes against the driver first. The owner of the vehicle is separately liable, varying with state laws. ("Vicarious liability" laws actually caused car leasing to end in some states about a decade ago, they had to rewrite the laws because the car manufacturers, the lessors, were still liable for the drivers' actions.)

schnidty-
So now you're not just looking for transport, you also expected someone to re-rig it for you?! And to do that without supervision and to get it right? If you figure (unless you live next to an airport) it is still going to take you 90 minutes to clear security, 90 more to fly down, a hour to get from the airport to the boat, optimistically? A short flight still takes up a half day. Versus one long day to drive it down yourself, and not have to ask what kind of joker has your car AND boat.
Just how cheaply did you ever think someone who is a licensed and insured commercial transport driver, AND a competent boat rigger, would be? Plus their return airfare?
Of course, you could hire a couple of college kids on winter break to drive it down, if you just want cheap and are willing to assume the risks. Heck, let 'em use the boat for a week and they'll do the rest for free.
post #10 of 19 Old 09-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
schnidty-
So now you're not just looking for transport, you also expected someone to re-rig it for you?!
God no, it was just more of a comment about the total time of transport. I can actually rig it and launch about an hour without rushing but it does add up.

I got a quote of $1200 one way to transport the boat by a commercial shipper. A bit much to spend to avoid a day of driving. Gas is also a factor at about $200 but still not enough to avoid a couple days of travel. I doubt I would do the 12 hour drive all in one day so add a hotel room but numbers are still iffy. If you count my time as worth what I make at work, the numbers are actually really close, so if I could pay someone ~$500 + gas and airfare back it would be cheaper than me taking two days of my vacation time to do it.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in