GGR entrants getting clobbered - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 53 Old 10-01-2018

Re: GGR entrants getting clobbered

Glad he was rescued. That said, I’m just not impressed by these races. I think the danger is more the attraction than the sailing.

Tomy’s Quote....... “There were no thoughts in my mind during those 70 hours. That is something I have taught myself over the years. Thinking can lead to problems,” he told the Hindustan Times”

Thinking can lead to problems. Boy, I would like to believe that was a poor translation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 53 Old 10-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
They are nuts!!!!! My prayers are with them.

Incredible bravery to set out into the Southern Ocean in craft so limited by the race rules. Given the current crop of unlimited budget high tech boats run into difficulties not infrequently unfortunately itís not that unexpected. Just hope they all return in one piece.

Donít think youíll see a repeat without a reworking of the course or rules.
Most of them are on Rustler 35's which are very seaworthy boats.

I think the problem is being hit by a storm with sustained 70kt winds and accompany seas - that can lead to rolls and knockdowns in any boat.
post #13 of 53 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

Another sailor dismasted. Susie Goodall, a young British sailor, was dismasted after being pitchpoled 2000 miles west of Cape Horn. It was crazy follow the drama on line as it unfolded. First they post info about a huge storm that was about to hit her, along with a wind map showing her position. At that point the viewer is able to see what is about to hit her, while she canít see it. She then sent a sat message saying the storm is frightful and questioning what the hell she was doing out there. Next, the site posts a notice that her EPIRB went off but they are unable to reach her. Left saying prayers for her for several hours, and then she finally makes contact that she had been knocked out after getting thrown across the boat. She reported her mast was down, her series drouge had let go, but hull sound. Now the Chilean authorities have redirected a cargo ship towards her to arrive in about two days. Whew!!!

post #14 of 53 Old 12-05-2018
Master Mariner

My wife is watching this race intently with the hope of one day possibly participating, so we discuss it whenever we have internet.
I think this race is showing those paying attention that the fancy drogues and popular wind vanes aren't really as reliable as they are presumed to be. Apparently, the much-touted Jordan series drogue failed Susie, as it did not save her from a pitchpole this morning.
I can't imagine why anyone would attempt a voyage such as this with a complicated mechanical device to steer the boat when a simple trim tab unit would do a better job and have way fewer points of potential problems. Even with an inboard rudder, the added security of mounting a second rudder on the stern with a trim tab would be a better route IMO.
Secondly, I believe that it is possible that the aluminum sticks just aren't the right material for that job. If memory serves, both Knox-Johnson and Moitessier put their wooden sticks in the water on their voyages, but neither lost their rigs. I've done the same three times, not in the Southern Ocean, but in a hurricane, and I didn't lose my wooden sticks either.
So, of the 18 starters, 7 have dropped out mainly because of self-steering malfunctions or a lack of drinking water, 4 others have lost their rigs and all but one had to be rescued along with one other competitor. The leader is limping along with a damaged rig after pitchpoling.
Two will be hauling shortly to clean the barnacles off their boats, so they will be relegated to the Chichester class and no longer in the GGR.
That leaves 5 of 18 still in the GGR, a pretty horrendous attrition rate. Perhaps this race. like the one in 1968, will have only one finisher. Wouldn't that be a hoot!
Slayer likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #15 of 53 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

Capta....a trim tab is a small foil cut out of the rudder with its post going through the rudder?
post #16 of 53 Old 12-05-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Capta....a trim tab is a small foil cut out of the rudder with its post going through the rudder?
About the only way, I can imagine a good, simple trim tab vane gear like the one below, being broken is backing up into a slip or a Med mooring accident.
It should be so simple that anybody can easily and inexpensively build one. There are free plans available online in the Searunner construction manual, by Jim Brown.
Attached Thumbnails
trim tab vane gear.jpg  
Slayer likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #17 of 53 Old 12-05-2018

Anyone interested in a very critical "analysis" of the race and how its been run, check out the thread in Sailing Anarchy. Very unedited, harsh assessment of the guy who is running the race (the "Mad King").

The 2018 Golden Globe Race - Page 33 - Ocean Racing Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
post #18 of 53 Old 12-05-2018

Freak shows were popular in the 1800s and this race is no different. It is just a stunt show, not particularly skill, although, one obviously needs to be a good sailor. It does nothing for me.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 53 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Freak shows were popular in the 1800s and this race is no different. It is just a stunt show, not particularly skill, although, one obviously needs to be a good sailor. It does nothing for me.

A bit harsh on the sailors calling it a freak show. And even if your assessment that it takes no particular skill is valid, which I am of the opinion that it is not, some challenges test your skill, others are a test of your mettle. With enough practice anyone can hone skill: having heart is an all together different matter.

Last edited by Slayer; 12-05-2018 at 07:44 PM.
post #20 of 53 Old 12-05-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
About the only way, I can imagine a good, simple trim tab vane gear like the one below, being broken is backing up into a slip or a Med mooring accident.
It should be so simple that anybody can easily and inexpensively build one. There are free plans available online in the Searunner construction manual, by Jim Brown.

Capta what do you think of this one? The obvious down side is you are cutting your rudder, but it looks pretty bullet proof, to the extent it can be.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in