GGR entrants getting clobbered - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 53 Old 12-06-2018

Re: GGR entrants getting clobbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
A bit harsh on the sailors calling it a freak show. And even if your assessment that it takes no particular skill is valid, which I am of the opinion that it is not, some challenges test your skill, others are a test of your mettle. With enough practice anyone can hone skill: having heart is an all together different matter.
You could read my post to say I called the sailors freaks, but I was referring to the reason for the popularity. People are drawn to the spectacle, much more than the skill. The audience can't tell a thing they are doing. Most don't hear a word of it, until catastrophe. Was Evel Kenievel the best motorcycle rider, just because he pulled off a few stunts and broke a bunch of bikes and bones? Could he have made the leaderboard at the Isle of Man races? I highly doubt it. It's not why people watched.

Now these sailors are undoubtedly accomplished, I'm just saying this event and others iike are horrible examples for our sport. They rank up there with "youngest solo circumnavigator" in my book. If they encourage others to do the same, not unlike jumping ones motorcycle over a fountain, it's even worse.
Jeff_H, Slayer, TakeFive and 3 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 Old 12-06-2018 Thread Starter

Minnewaska I get your point but disagree. I can only speak for myself, but I have been following this as close as I do the Volvo Ocean Race or Vende Globe, which you may dislike as well. I guess I post about the disasters here to share my excitement with the group as none of my colleagues or family members have any interest in this or any other sailboat race, so I share it with my Sailing family here. It’s like wanting to talk about an upset in a football match or a knock down in boxing. And I just find it fascinating and nerve wracking that we can see these monstrous storms approaching the racers in close to real time, while, except for a vague warning, they are unaware of what is about to hit them. I find the race between the second place contestant Marc Slats and first place Jean-Luc Van Den Heed just as exciting. And like many other sporting events, the winner between those two will be based on a combination of luck and skill: who will pick the right course, catch the right breezes, sail fast but not so fast as to break their boat. But you are probably right that the general public knows nothing about this until they hear about the disaster in the news, then it becomes a bunch of people watching a train wreck. As for the race encouraging others to do it, again I can only speak for myself, the numerous disasters has had quite the opposite effect on me 😁
post #23 of 53 Old 12-06-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Capta what do you think of this one? The obvious down side is you are cutting your rudder, but it looks pretty bullet proof, to the extent it can be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rYbFt9lvSUI
It seems like a lot more work than just adding something to the back of the rudder. As they say, "KISS".
Slayer likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone

post #24 of 53 Old 12-06-2018

Quote:
I have been following this as close as I do the Volvo Ocean Race or Vende Globe,
Me too. In fact, I've been following it more closely. The attraction for me is that these are sailors in boats that I could buy, not high tech racing machines made of carbon fiber and unobtanium. Granted, some of these guys have seriously rebuilt these boats, but overall, these are not million-dollar campaigns sponsored by multi-national companies (with one exception). I find that compelling.

What I don't like about the race is that it isn't all that it claims to be; it is NOT a "re-creation" of the original GGR; they aren't really limiting the racers access to technology so much. They are supposed to navigating by sextant like they did back in '68, but it turns out that the racers could easily get their positions (and the positions of the other racers quite easily. And unlike the original race, each racer has a sat phone; they can't use it except for emergencies. Except they all communicate regularly with the race chairman on the sat phone, who gives them "general" weather information.

I get that it would be foolish in this day and age to run the race as they did in '68, when there was no way to contact the racers except by SSB; you just wouldn't hold people's interest that way. But the race was marketed as "old school". It may have a few restrictions on the use of technology, but not nearly as much as they implied.

And, the race has been run quite unprofessionally; the rules seem to change with each incident. It was in fact an inconsistent interpretation of a rule that forced Susie Goodall into the worst of the storm that just dismasted her boat and has her awaiting a rescue.

Nevertheless, I find the sailors and their stories as compelling (if not more so) than the Volvo or Vendee.
Slayer, capta, oysterman23 and 1 others like this.
post #25 of 53 Old 12-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstern View Post
Me too. In fact, I've been following it more closely. The attraction for me is that these are sailors in boats that I could buy, not high tech racing machines made of carbon fiber and unobtanium. Granted, some of these guys have seriously rebuilt these boats, but overall, these are not million-dollar campaigns sponsored by multi-national companies (with one exception). I find that compelling.
Me too, the Volvo and Americas Cup have to be the most inaccseable sporting events on the planet. I feel no more connection to these events than I do to a NASA sponsored space flight.

Round the bouys racing I have never liked.

The GGR is still fairly inaccesible, but its not unattainable. The real interest for me would be seeing the GGR inspire smaller scale events of a similar nature that I could participate in.

I see the GGR like many other racing classes or box rules. If some one doesnt like the rules, dont participate, find a class that suits you better.

I do find some of the GGR rules a bit arbitrary, but as long as every one is playing by the same set of rules, game on.

Last edited by Arcb; 12-06-2018 at 12:11 PM.
post #26 of 53 Old 12-06-2018
Master Mariner

I also feel that this is a race for sailors, whereas the Volvo type races and the America's Cup are just rich men playing at "yachting", as they always have.
What we can learn from the experiences of these sailors are actually of use to us, the small boat owner with a limited budget.
For instance, two competitors are soon to drop out of the GGR and relegate themselves to the Chichester Class because they chose a bottom paint that wasn't up to the voyage, while the leader, Jean Luc, seems to have no problem with his bottom and barnacles. I gotta find out what antifouling he is using!!!!
Secondly, the much-touted Jordan series drogue seems not to be all it is cracked up to be and failed to prevent Susie from pitchpoling, this morning, and losing her rig.
As for, "The audience can't tell a thing they are doing. Most don't hear a word of it, until catastrophe.", anyone wishing to do so can read the daily tweets and read or listen to the weekly call-ins from the competitors, so it is only by choice that one doesn't hear a word of it, until catastrophe. There are interactive maps and charts on the website that show the weather and vessel positions in pretty much real-time or backward as far as you want to go.
So, in reality, one can be as involved as one wishes to be on this race and I for one, think Don has done a wonderful job with spectator participation, all for free!
I love the idea of going back to the basics and were I a few years younger I might have considered participating, mainly because if this. Perhaps, this is because a good deal of my ocean sailing was done before any significant advances in equipment had made it to the small sailboat sector, and sailing w/o GPS, AIS or satellite weather does not frighten me in the slightest.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #27 of 53 Old 12-06-2018 Thread Starter

Mstern I was surprised when I recently learned there was no prohibition against getting their coordinates over SSB or VHF from some one locating their tracking device. I read about it in an interview with Jeanne Socrates who was communicating with some of the racers during her own circumnavigation attempt. I guess the rule is that they can use any device that was available back then to get position information, but they can’t recieve routing information. This is the info I got when I questioned them about it on FB. The logic doesn’t fly because there was no gps or ship locator devices back then, but whatever, I am still a fan.
post #28 of 53 Old 12-06-2018

I probably meant to offend those that are participating, as I worry about the example and think they are doing little more than taking a risk. I certainly didn't intend to offend the spectators.

Nevertheless, watching dots on a screen and reading tweets is far from being able to tell what they are doing. Imagine watching a baseball or football game, by seeing dots for the line of scrimmage or who is on base, etc. Pretty impersonal. Not for me.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #29 of 53 Old 12-06-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Nevertheless, watching dots on a screen....

But the dots are shaped like boats :
post #30 of 53 Old 12-06-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I probably meant to offend those that are participating, as I worry about the example and think they are doing little more than taking a risk. I certainly didn't intend to offend the spectators.

Nevertheless, watching dots on a screen and reading tweets is far from being able to tell what they are doing. Imagine watching a baseball or football game, by seeing dots for the line of scrimmage or who is on base, etc. Pretty impersonal. Not for me.
I see what you are saying, but I dont equate the GGR with a baseball game. I see it more like an atempt a K2 or Manaslu. Beginners dont even show up at base camp on these mountains. They can't.

To even show up at the starting line of the GGR you need to be a big boy already. It's not like racing a bunch of drunks around 3 bouys.
Slayer likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in