GGR entrants getting clobbered - Page 5 - SailNet Community
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 53 Old 12-07-2018

Re: GGR entrants getting clobbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
While I know her pedigree, I doubt even she would be willing to say she was immune to chafe. Do we know how it parted?
I think I read somewhere that her drogue's bridle was still fastened to the boat but the drogue itself was gone. If that's true, then chafing wasn't the issue.
RegisteredUser and capta like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 53 Old 12-07-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
While I know her pedigree, I doubt even she would be willing to say she was immune to chafe. Do we know how it parted?
Really? Immune to chafe?
If your life was on the line, as hers was, don't you think you would do everything in your power to prevent any chafe?

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #43 of 53 Old 12-07-2018

Pin the tale on the donkey here....

In a dark room

post #44 of 53 Old 12-07-2018

Here is a copy and paste from the GGR page.

Speaking with emotion, but sounding very much in control of her situation,*Susie*also confirmed that she had secured all hatches, portholes and safety equipment, and did NOT need immediate assistance. She said that before the incident, she had been enjoying the conditions and felt in control. But then the safety tube on her Monitor self-steering broke and she was forced to trail a drogue anchor astern and take down the mainsail. She was below decks when the boat was pitchpoled, and when she returned on deck to assess the damage, found that the line attached to the drogue had parted.

Was sailing along on self steering, self steering broke. She then attached her drogue and at some point went below. Boat pitch poled and dismasted. She then discovered the line that the drogue attached to had parted.

I gather this information was collected over sat phone in rough conditions from a wrecked boat.

https://goldengloberace.com/skipper/susie-goodall/
post #45 of 53 Old 12-07-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Really? Immune to chafe?
If your life was on the line, as hers was, don't you think you would do everything in your power to prevent any chafe?
Not sure what's in your knickers on this one. How do you think it parted and where?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #46 of 53 Old 12-08-2018

Saw this article from the BBC today about Goodalls rescue.

Her boat was dead in the water. Rescueing ship was a good sized ship; 40 000 tons, 600 ish ft long, 30 ish foot draft. Sea state 3-4 meters (around 10-14 feet). The weather was too rough for the cargo ship to launch her RIB, so instead they had to maneuver the ship alongside Goodalls boat and I guess she would have climbed up a ladder or net.

Pretty skilled boat handling for the skipper of the cargo ship I would say.

Any, she is safe aboard.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/46484919
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #47 of 53 Old 12-09-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Saw this article from the BBC today about Goodalls rescue.

Her boat was dead in the water. Rescueing ship was a good sized ship; 40 000 tons, 600 ish ft long, 30 ish foot draft. Sea state 3-4 meters (around 10-14 feet). The weather was too rough for the cargo ship to launch her RIB, so instead they had to maneuver the ship alongside Goodalls boat and I guess she would have climbed up a ladder or net.

Pretty skilled boat handling for the skipper of the cargo ship I would say.

Any, she is safe aboard.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/sailing/46484919
Actually, they used one of their cranes, swinging it out and dropping the cable so she could just clip on a line hanging below the hook. Pretty imaginative, IMO.
Three cheers to that Chinese crew for a job well done! I'm guessing this will become the standard method of yacht crew rescue by ships with cranes in the future. Way easier and safer than any other method I think.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Last edited by capta; 12-09-2018 at 10:18 AM.
post #48 of 53 Old 12-10-2018

I like the crane method. Makes me wonder why it hasn't been SOP. Was Goodall dismasted in the pitchpole? Maybe they are typically worried about getting fouled up in the rigging.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #49 of 53 Old 12-10-2018

Quote:
I like the crane method. Makes me wonder why it hasn't been SOP. Was Goodall dismasted in the pitchpole? Maybe they are typically worried about getting fouled up in the rigging.
Yes, she was dismasted. Not even a stump left.
post #50 of 53 Old 12-10-2018

The crane method would certainly come with its own set of risks. The crane hook in the rescue images looks like a smaller single block hook. The hook probably still weighs 40-50 plus pounds, of solid unyielding steel, a smack up the side of the head with that would be bad.

In 4 meter seas the 4 ton yacht would most certainly be out of sink with the 40000 ton ship. The yacht would be heaving up and down maybe 10 feet with every wave, rolling, pitching. In order to get the hook to her, they likely would have had to throw a control line to her so she could control the hook as the winch operator paid it out.

Once the hook was at deck level she would have had to figure a way to control the weight of the hook and hook it into her harnesssling as her yacht continued to heave out of sink with the ship. Then the winch operator would have had to heave at the right moment so as not to hurt her.

There is a reason pilots use ladders to board and rescues are often done by lifting the rib to deck level. Uncontrolled crane hooks in close proximity to heads and faces arent the safest thing on the planet. Its awesome it worked, but I cant imagine cargo ships will stop recovering people with life boats and pilot ladders any time soon.

For comparison, here is a look at the type of hook used for helo rescues. https://lifesavingsystems.com/produc...er-hoist-hooks

Last edited by Arcb; 12-10-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in