GGR entrants getting clobbered - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 53 Old 12-10-2018
Master Mariner

Re: GGR entrants getting clobbered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
The crane method would certainly come with its own set of risks. The crane hook in the rescue images looks like a smaller single block hook. The hook probably still weighs 40-50 plus pounds, of solid unyielding steel, a smack up the side of the head with that would be bad.

In 4 meter seas the 4 ton yacht would most certainly be out of sink with the 40000 ton ship. The yacht would be heaving up and down maybe 10 feet with every wave, rolling, pitching. In order to get the hook to her, they likely would have had to throw a control line to her so she could control the hook as the winch operator paid it out.

Once the hook was at deck level she would have had to figure a way to control the weight of the hook and hook it into her harnesssling as her yacht continued to heave out of sink with the ship. Then the winch operator would have had to heave at the right moment so as not to hurt her.

There is a reason pilots use ladders to board and rescues are often done by lifting the rib to deck level. Uncontrolled crane hooks in close proximity to heads and faces arent the safest thing on the planet. Its awesome it worked, but I cant imagine cargo ships will stop recovering people with life boats and pilot ladders any time soon.

For comparison, here is a look at the type of hook used for helo rescues. https://lifesavingsystems.com/produc...er-hoist-hooks
As a former ship's master, I believe I would do it a bit differently.
The crane block probably weighs closer to 500# than 50#. But no nevermind. I would attach a significant amount of line in a loop, so the block and hook were at least a dozen feet above the highest the yacht could get; I'd have to work out the proper amount of line on the spot.
Then, swing the crane out somewhat close to the water, keeping the cable as short as possible and allow the person on the yacht to choose the moment to clip into the loop. Once secure on the loop, I'd bring up the crane (not the cable; its too slow), swing it inboard and lower my catch on deck.
Of course, this won't work on a vessel with a mast, but it should work fine from a liferaft or inflatable, so you would have to get off the boat.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 53 Old 12-10-2018

I didnt see a clear image of the hook block, but the one I saw gave me the impression it was a smaller single sheive hook block. Possibly the one used for the FRC or a provisions crane, it didnt really look like a big cargo handling hook block, but it may have been, regardless it was heavy enough to be dangerous.

Whether they used a control line on the hook or she found a way to hook onto a swinging hook with a sling attached, I suspect the operation had some tense moments and was not especially easy.

Last edited by Arcb; 12-10-2018 at 01:51 PM.
post #53 of 53 Old 12-10-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
Then, swing the crane out somewhat close to the water, keeping the cable as short as possible and allow the person on the yacht to choose the moment to clip into the loop. Once secure on the loop, I'd bring up the crane (not the cable; its too slow), swing it inboard and lower my catch on deck.
Here are images I pulled off the net of the Tian Fu. 4 big cargo handling cranes, I don't think you can boom them down to the water.

On the Starboard side, just visible below the bridge wing is the FRC crane, maybe 40 ft above the water line (guess). The boom on that crane appears to be a non articulated davit, so I don't think it cant be boomed down to the water, in any case the boom doesn't look long enough to be boomed down close to the water.

I don't see any cranes at all on the port side.

Unless there is another crane some where or I am missing something, I think this rescue had to have been done with a fair amount of cable paid out, and I think the lifting would have had to have happened with the cable, not the boom.
Attached Thumbnails
tianfu.png   tianfu2.png  
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in