SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   GGR entrants getting clobbered (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/325882-ggr-entrants-getting-clobbered.html)

Slayer 09-21-2018 02:10 PM

GGR entrants getting clobbered

Several vessels roll over, two lose masts one a mizzenmast, and one serious injury. And they are still in a So Ocean storm with 70k gusts and 40 ft seas.

https://goldengloberace.com/day-82-breaking-news/

Slayer 09-21-2018 04:00 PM

Re: GGR entrants getting clobbered

I love reading about survival at sea stories. But to follow one as it unfolds is unnerving. I hope this doesnít turn out to be a spectacle of death for our viewing pleasure.

Latest update:

Latest SAT TEXT messages...all our thoughts are with Abhilash Tommy....and Mark Slats who is still in extreme conditions. Gregor McGuckin Empowered by Hanley Energy reports dropping winds and all secure onboard.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
FROM MARK!!!.....JUST SMACHED DOOR EN BOAT FULL WATER AND HAD FIRE AFTER... CAN FIX MOST BUT WANT RUN WITH STORM FIRST AND SURVIVE!!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mark #Sinclair (via satellite) Running 060 under storm jib to skirt 9 M SEAS F / cast to south. /" current 60 nds under sail storm to follow a sea of 9 M forecasts south."

Istvan #the (via satellite) Tksvmuch, stillinrecoverymodeandkeepingnasmuchascan /" thank you so much again in recovery mode by cleaning as much as

Jean-Luc Van Den #Heede (via satellite) peaceful day sun lunch on the terrace! What a change :) /" quiet sunny day lunch on terrace! What changed :) "

Tapio #Lehtinen (via satellite) P, all seals too are brilliant, mange!

Mark #Slats (via satellite) from 60 kn to 0 KN I 15 min Horrow Sea 2 Knockdown in nwwind /" from 60 nds to 0 nds in 15 min sea horrible Spilled 2 times without wind "

Abhilash #Tomy (via satellite) Knockdown. Splitmizzenboom. Lostais Antenna. Split Boom. Lost the ais antenna "

Uku #Randmaa (via satellite) ALL OK. :)

Gregor #Mcguckin (via satellite) rough night, knocked down, mizen mast gone. Else, all good / "hard night, boat lying, mast of mizen carried, everything is fine"

Oahead, iamdryingtnautalmanachabovetheatove / "I'm drying the water almanache over the oven"

Susie #Goodall (via satellite) WINDLESSNIGHT / " Nuit sans vent"

Mark #Slats (via satellite) unbelieveble winds and seas goal all good so far survivalmode / "amazing winds and seas but everything goes well so far in survival mode"

Mark #Sinclair (via satellite)

Jean-Luc van den #Heede (via satellite) C AMUSANT DE VOIRDES OISEAUX CHERCHER A ATRAPER LHELICE DULOCH / "It's funny to see birds trying to catch the log propeler"

Tapio #Lehtinen (via satellite) putting some n into my e after don, s GALE WARNING / "I put n in my e after don storm alert"

Igor #Zaretskiy (via satellite) ESMERALDA OK

Rate this translation

Slayer 09-22-2018 08:40 AM

We hope and hold our breath.

Another update:

There has been no further communication with Abhilash Tomy, the 39-year old Indian Golden Globe Race skipper since his dramatic text message at 12:09 UTC today: ROLLED. DISMASTED. SEVERE BACK INJURY. CANNOT GET UP.

Race organisers are working closely with the Australian Rescue Co-ordination Center in Canberra, which has issued an all ships alert and is now co-ordinating rescue efforts led by Australian Defence Forces.

The Australians are also working with French Maritime Rescue Centre based on Reunion Island in the South Indian Ocean which is attempting to source a vessel that might assist, including a French Fisheries Protection ship thought to be in the area.

Commander Tomy is a serving Naval Flying Officer in the Indian Navy which has also been alerted and is standing by to assist in the rescue.

Don McIntyre, the Race Chairman based in Les Sables d’Olonne where the Golden Globe solo non-stop round the world Race began on July 1st, commented tonight: “We are very grateful to all these international organisations for mobilising their resources so quickly and for the lead role taken by MRCC in Canberra.

The position of Tomy’s yacht Thuriya, a replica of Sir Robin Knox-Johnston’s yacht Suhail, winner of the first GGR 50 years ago, is some 1,900 miles south West of Perth, Western Australia at the extreme limit of immediate rescue range.

The fact that Abhilash has been unable to make contact via text or sat phone, nor set off his emergency beacon is unusual and suggests that he remains incapacitated. The only link is the tracking signal we are receiving from the yacht, but the batteries have a limited life.”

Arcb 09-22-2018 10:23 AM

Apparently Tomy got another message out. He was apparently able to trigger his EPIRB and make it into his bunk.

Seems the Indian Navy has dispatched a 468 ft stealth frigate to help in his rescue.

Looks pretty positive.

https://goldengloberace.com/ggr-update-after-storm/

Slayer 09-22-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arcb (Post 2051554420)
Apparently Tomy got another message out. He was apparently able to trigger his EPIRB and make it into his bunk.

Seems the Indian Navy has dispatched a 468 ft stealth frigate to help in his rescue.

Looks pretty positive.

https://goldengloberace.com/ggr-update-after-storm/

Good news. Have you been following this? They post a segment, weekly I think, where they display the boats on a weather/current/wave map with a narrator discussing the conditions. So you can see the poop they are about to sail into or out of. The weird part is you know more about the upcoming conditions than the sailors do, although I think they notify them about sever weather. The whole thing is fascinating. I talk about it with non-sailing colleagues like they would discuss sporting events, and try to convey the danger and drama of the event, and they are like “oh...that’s nice.”

Arcb 09-22-2018 09:04 PM

Been following it a bit. Interesting boats. Interesting sailors.

outbound 09-25-2018 02:40 PM

They are nuts!!!!! My prayers are with them.

Incredible bravery to set out into the Southern Ocean in craft so limited by the race rules. Given the current crop of unlimited budget high tech boats run into difficulties not infrequently unfortunately itís not that unexpected. Just hope they all return in one piece.

Donít think youíll see a repeat without a reworking of the course or rules.

Slayer 09-25-2018 03:31 PM

Injured sailor has been rescued as well as the other dismasted sailor. The sailor who wasnít injured did not send out a distress call even though he had been dismasted and engine didnít work as a result of the roll over. He jerry rigged his sails and was making his way the 1900 or so miles to Australia. But since the rescue boats were in the area he thought it prudent to be picked up so as not require a new rescue operation in the event his situation worsened.

TakeFive 09-25-2018 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slayer (Post 2051554958)
...The sailor who wasn’t injured did not send out a distress call even though he had been dismasted and engine didn’t work as a result of the roll over. He jerry rigged his sails and was making his way the 1900 or so miles to Australia...

Wow, that's grit!

...or perhaps faulty judgement due to shock.

TakeFive 09-30-2018 08:48 PM

https://slowboatsailing.wordpress.co...-kmph-cyclone/

Quote:

GGR’s Tomy Fell From the Top of the Mast in the 150 kmph Cyclone