Trying to decide, tell me this....Lake Norman, Kerr Lake, NC sailors - Page 2 - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 Old 09-24-2018

Re: Trying to decide, tell me this....Lake Norman, Kerr Lake, NC sailors

Lake Chapala in MX is large enough...and eternal spring elevation.
2nd largest city nearby...get anything you desire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
Lake Chapala in MX is large enough...and eternal spring elevation.
2nd largest city nearby...get anything you desire
Just looking for the info on the 2 lakes I asked about. If I were looking for elsewhere I would have asked. No disrespect, just don't want to waste anyone's time and effort trying to offer other places that I have no interest in.
post #13 of 18 Old 09-24-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlin-easy View Post
CastingOff, when you get to my age, 78, I consider any temperature lower than my age the dead of winter. Today, it's just 65 degrees here, raining, a bit windy and I'm freezing my arse off.
LOL. Anything above 72 is hot as Hades to me.

Quote:
I have been in the lower Florida Keys many times during mid summer, and 85 was about as hot as it got, and the humidity is usually below 40 percent. Keep in mind that in order to have high humidity, you need land mass. There is very little land mass in the lower Florida Keys.
That's pretty interesting. I remember 2 summers ago watching the weather in Miami from Coastal NC and it was consistently hotter in NC, especially when considering the humidity and real feel effect. I guess heat without humidity is pretty rare the places I've lived. 85 with no humidity is actually pretty nice. I felt it once a year or two ago.

Quote:
Now, this time of year, it rains nearly every day, but only for about 30 minutes and then the sun comes back out and everything is back to normal. And, most of the time there is no high winds and lightning associated with the rain. I can live with that. When winter arrives, the temperature ranges from the low 70s to low 80s, no rain, good trades for sailing nearly every day - what's not to like?
The heat! LOL

post #14 of 18 Old 09-24-2018

Try letting yourself get acclimated to the weather.

Many Northers come here to Florida and instead of setting the Air Conditioning to a reasonable level such as 78 to 80 degrees so they can get acclimated, keep their AC at the same level as their winter heat up North. 68 degrees is going to be costly and the shock of going outdoors after hibernating in a house cooled to the low 70's and high 60's is going to be unbearable. To deal with less oxygen rich warm climates your blood has to have increased levels of hemoglobin which is not going to happen if your in a 68/70 degree condition space most of the time and can leave you gasping like a fish out of water whenever you go outside.

I used to live in Northern New England and enjoyed winter camping in a tent where it was minus 36 degrees F however now that I live in Florida I forced myself to acclimate and can enjoy the outdoors all day long. Also one has to consider changing their diet to one better suited to warm weather. A greasy or high fat diet is really not going to leave you well equipped to deal with the heat either.

Many don't consider how badly they shoot themselves in the foot when they do not make adjustments for the climate which they currently live in.

At least in the Deep South you won't be killed by hypothermia as quickly as in the Frozen North. Gators, bull sharks, hamma heads, and cotton mouths depending on the waters your in will more likely get you.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-25-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaStar58 View Post
Try letting yourself get acclimated to the weather.

Many Northers come here to Florida and instead of setting the Air Conditioning to a reasonable level such as 78 to 80 degrees so they can get acclimated, keep their AC at the same level as their winter heat up North. 68 degrees is going to be costly and the shock of going outdoors after hibernating in a house cooled to the low 70's and high 60's is going to be unbearable. To deal with less oxygen rich warm climates your blood has to have increased levels of hemoglobin which is not going to happen if your in a 68/70 degree condition space most of the time and can leave you gasping like a fish out of water whenever you go outside.

I used to live in Northern New England and enjoyed winter camping in a tent where it was minus 36 degrees F however now that I live in Florida I forced myself to acclimate and can enjoy the outdoors all day long. Also one has to consider changing their diet to one better suited to warm weather. A greasy or high fat diet is really not going to leave you well equipped to deal with the heat either.

Many don't consider how badly they shoot themselves in the foot when they do not make adjustments for the climate which they currently live in.

At least in the Deep South you won't be killed by hypothermia as quickly as in the Frozen North. Gators, bull sharks, hamma heads, and cotton mouths depending on the waters your in will more likely get you.
I always find it incredibly intriguing when replies are posted without answering an OP's questions.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-25-2018

I live in Charlotte and sail from Lake Norman Sailing Club. It is a sail exclusive marina. Pretty minimal facilities, but by far the least expensive on the lake, I pay $137.50 a month for my 23 footer, but I think pricing is by slip size and not length.

It absolutely gets hot and muggy here at times, a bimini is pretty useful to keep the sun off. Sailing is hit and miss a lot of light variable win days but there are plenty of good days out as well. The lake itself gets warm july-september but sailing season is really long.

Can't say anything about Kerr, never been.

Another nice sailing lake in the are is Lake Murray, I've headed down there for weekend trips. Its a really deep lake and big enough to poke around.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschmidty View Post
I live in Charlotte and sail from Lake Norman Sailing Club. It is a sail exclusive marina. Pretty minimal facilities, but by far the least expensive on the lake, I pay $137.50 a month for my 23 footer, but I think pricing is by slip size and not length.

It absolutely gets hot and muggy here at times, a bimini is pretty useful to keep the sun off. Sailing is hit and miss a lot of light variable win days but there are plenty of good days out as well. The lake itself gets warm july-september but sailing season is really long.

Can't say anything about Kerr, never been.

Another nice sailing lake in the are is Lake Murray, I've headed down there for weekend trips. Its a really deep lake and big enough to poke around.
Thanks for the info. Very helfpul.
post #18 of 18 Old 10-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by castingoff View Post
I always find it incredibly intriguing when replies are posted without answering an OP's questions.
You did open that box when you stated to Travelin Easy that you find anything over 72 hot as Hades and added that dimension to things. Lake Norman exceeds this from mid April to end of October and is 33.6 miles long by 9 miles wide and averages 33.5 feet in depth. Kerr Lake is forecast for 79 today and the lower 80's tomorrow so still in your Hades range in October however a bit larger than Norman and averages around 30 feet deep.

Regardless of where we go we really can't escape ourselves. If we didn't make accommodations for the weather where we currently are and have not already made the determination to do so wherever we may end up then the rest is moot since we will be a Summer Shut-In in a good part of the US. I was miserable here in South Florida until I looked into the mirror and dealt with the root cause of the problem which was not the location or weather. Now I can ride a motorcycle or open convertible that has no AC year round with no issues and can sail all day every day year round if I wish. One you allow yourself to become acclimated to the local weather you no longer dread going outdoors and the temps actual or real feel become just a footnote.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in