Bringing in extra clams on deck. - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-25-2018 Thread Starter
FlaExp

Bringing in extra clams on deck.

:-}
fonman likes this.

Last edited by expert; 09-27-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-25-2018
Master Mariner

Re: Bringing in extra clams on deck.

Sounds to me you will soon be joining the ranks of those who have had their equipment, if not their boats, confiscated by some local government for working illegally in their country, and sent packing. Once they've impounded your boat, a plane ticket isn't much of an expense for them.
Do not underestimate their intelligence just because they are not WASPs. They have been catching people like you trying to work illegally in their countries for a lot longer than you've been contemplating doing so.
I know three guys with work permits AND TIG welders/lathes/etc who wouldn't hesitate to call the authorities if you set up shop in the anchorage where they work, in the Windwards alone.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #3 of 29 Old 09-25-2018

This is the second thread I've read of yours, and I'm not sure you really understand the cruising life and community, and what you are entering into. Regardless of the laws and practices you eschew, you are completely misunderstanding the work you would have available to you. Cruisers are cheap, and many of the places they cruise in have good cheap labor (relatively) doing just what you propose. To make a go of it, you would essentially have to put down roots in a populated area and become known for your work - at which time you will not be operating under cover. Traveling around hoping to take on work regularly just will not be practical or possible. At most, you will get a small job every few months - and it won't pay much. Make one mistake, or even get a difficult customer with a burr in his butt, and your business is dead.

Luckily, your communication skills and attitude seem outstanding.

I've known a few people who have made a go at what you propose. All of them are working hard, but just barely getting by. And all of them have been chased out of areas after a period of time - even though (this is the important point) they had gone to the trouble of getting work permits and setting up businesses.

But good luck.

Mark
kd3pc, RegisteredUser and CVAT like this.

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #4 of 29 Old 09-25-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

As mentioned in other replies, it has nothing to do with all the rules and regs, payment in cash under the table nor your LOL work permits. You start work in another country and very quickly the locals will catch on to what's going on, no matter how quietly you try to do it. Ever live in a really small town? You can't break wind in your own back yard without all the neighbors knowing about. In a foreign country where you stick out like a sore thumb even more so.

As soon as the local welder catches on he will either report you to the local authorities which will probably be his cousin or next door neighbor or possibly just come by with a few friends to have a heart to heart talk with you about infringing on his livelihood.

Regardless of how it works out with the locals the cruising community doesn't need this kind of attitude out there making a bad name for the rest of us. We are guests in their country and should do our best to be a good neighbor instead of trying to figure out a way to take advantage of them.
post #5 of 29 Old 09-25-2018

So, I'm trying to understand this. You started a new thread just to tell us all how you are going to break the law, and how you don't care what we think about that. Oh, and, of course, to call us all the "peanut gallery." Is that right?

Yeah. You're going to do great. Exactly the kind of person that I would want to do business with!

SHEESH!
post #6 of 29 Old 09-26-2018

OP, exactly how much time have you spent in third world countries? Not in plush resort, I mean in the countries.

I've been shaken down so many times, when I wasn't breaking the law, the OP's hubris makes me laugh.
MastUndSchotbruch and CVAT like this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 29 Old 09-26-2018
Dirt Free

Thanks Expert, keep posting, this is funny stuff

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.
post #8 of 29 Old 09-27-2018

Could be a troll? Haven't seen any posts from him for a while. Maybe he's just stirring the pot.
post #9 of 29 Old 09-27-2018
Aspiring Boat Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
I think everybody trolled the new guy, almost nobody said anything positive to , including me!
Not clear on your use of the term trolling. I understand to to refer to posting an intentionally controversial or inflammatory message on the net with the sole intention of stirring up trouble and not referring to the responses generated by the troll. This could certainly be the case with the original post.

Regardless, in this case I could see nothing in the original post that I could respond to favorably.
post #10 of 29 Old 09-27-2018
Dirt Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by expert View Post
Not to worry about the LOL working permits ? get a life !!! can't wait to spew out all the rules and regs to somehow define their level of conformity and or the advice from the peanut gallery.
I think he got what he was looking for.

The hysterical laughter you hear as you drive a way in your"new" boat ..... is the seller.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in