Battery mystery - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Battery mystery

Thanks guys (and Denise)! Sounds like a bad connection is my prime suspect. I'm going to try and test this out before they haul my boat sometime this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 10-08-2018

Just some reassurance about the deep cycle battery. Our 15 hp Saildrive motor is a modified Johnson outboard. We were out sailing on Saturday. Battery number 1 showed about 12.2 volts and started the motor easily. (This is an 8 year old battery). I have experimented in the past by starting the motor with the gauge showing less than 12 volts. Because we sail and avoid motoring, I have 2 batteries, more for peace of mind than necessity. These are very regular inexpensive batteries.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Just some reassurance about the deep cycle battery. Our 15 hp Saildrive motor is a modified Johnson outboard. We were out sailing on Saturday. Battery number 1 showed about 12.2 volts and started the motor easily. (This is an 8 year old battery). I have experimented in the past by starting the motor with the gauge showing less than 12 volts. Because we sail and avoid motoring, I have 2 batteries, more for peace of mind than necessity. These are very regular inexpensive batteries.
Paul: do you have your batteries wired to a switch, or do you run them in series?

post #14 of 19 Old 10-08-2018

I have a basic on/off/both switch. I usually use only one battery for everything, and save the other for an emergency...hasn't happened in over 20 years. I try to alternate between them so that hopefully they will wear out sort of evenly. I purchased them new 8 years ago and the meter indicates that they are aging fairly evenly.
I have a basic multi meter stuck with Velcro to the bulkhead and hard wired into the battery circuit, makes monitoring very easy. I spent an extra few dollars for a meter with auto shut off as I often forget to turn it off...it operates on it's own 9 volt battery.
post #15 of 19 Old 10-08-2018

So after cleaning ALL connections, and sitting back with a beer, Put the ohmmeter to the terminals of the either neither. Age and water tend to eventually gum the internals .A poor connection in there will be an annoying VD
post #16 of 19 Old 10-08-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
I have a basic on/off/both switch. I usually use only one battery for everything, and save the other for an emergency...hasn't happened in over 20 years. I try to alternate between them so that hopefully they will wear out sort of evenly. I purchased them new 8 years ago and the meter indicates that they are aging fairly evenly.
I have a basic multi meter stuck with Velcro to the bulkhead and hard wired into the battery circuit, makes monitoring very easy. I spent an extra few dollars for a meter with auto shut off as I often forget to turn it off...it operates on it's own 9 volt battery.
Nice. Something to consider for next season.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-13-2018

Deep cycle batteries make poor start batteries unless you have one of those which have a special start battery included or extra plates.

If your home charger will not charge--it is often because there needs to be at least eight volts present in the flat battery or the electronically controlled charger will not function. Once it IS charging though--it is OK--so I use a different battery such as a jump-starter in parallel with the flat one just to get the charger to work, then remove the jump starter. After they they seem to charge OK.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-13-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
Deep cycle batteries make poor start batteries unless you have one of those which have a special start battery included or extra plates.
The OP has an 8hp outboard. Deep cycle will work well.

Iíve never heard of a battery with a special start battery included. As far as plates go, there are many different qualities of FLA batteries and plates can be one identifying difference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-13-2018

Another good sailing day yesterday although the wind was at the upper end of our comfort zone. I experimented again. The voltmeter was showing 12.19 volts. I had my wife attempt to start the motor with no choke or throttle( she drives out of the slip while I control the dock lines). The motor cranked very quickly for about 7 or 8 seconds until my wife engaged the choke. It would have turned over for much longer but I wasn't going to risk damaging the starter just to prove a point. Our Saildrive is a 15 hp outboard power head.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in