Questions on Purchasing New Main Sail for Catalina 27 - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

Questions on Purchasing New Main Sail for Catalina 27

Hi,

Our boat has been on blocks since last winter and has just been put back into the water. Upon taking off her main sail cover we discovered a huge squirrel's nest that destroyed our main sail. Our current main sail came with our boat and this is the first time we will purchase a new main sail so we have lots of questions as we are still relatively new to boating.

First Question:
Our current main sail has 4 full battens. Most standard sails sold on the internet have partial battens. Which is better, and why?

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
Charlene & Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-16-2018
Administrator

Re: Questions on Purchasing New Main Sail for Catalina 27

When used on a quality mainsail, with tappered battens full length battens add structure to the sail, giving the sail better shape and helps sails last much longer. Catalina 27's that are raced tend to have additional roach but that comes with the price that the leech will hang up on the backstay during light air tacks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
Charrob (10-16-2018)
post #3 of 17 Old 10-16-2018

You have basically three options with regard to battens: all partial battens, all full length battens, or a mix with one or two full length battens at the top. I've had all configurations over the years. Most club racers seem to go with the mix length option as it allows an extended roach but still allows control of sail shape. When I replaced my full batten sail about 5 years ago, I went with two full battens at the top.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2
The Following User Says Thank You to JimsCAL For This Useful Post:
Charrob (10-16-2018)

post #4 of 17 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
When used on a quality mainsail, with tapered battens, full length battens add structure to the sail giving the sail better shape and helps sails last much longer. Catalina 27's that are raced tend to have additional roach but that comes with the price that the leech will hang up on the backstay during light air tacks.
Thanks Jeff for responding. Noticed you were in Annapolis; we are on Rock Creek off the Patapsco. We don't race our boat, just cruise the Chesapeake Bay.

We usually sail in relatively light winds as Rob won't go out if the wind gusts exceed 20 knots. If the wind gusts go to 20 knots, Rob double reefs the main sail.

Since we only go out in relatively light winds and since, for the most part, the Patapsco and Bay mostly have light winds particularly in the summer, I would think having more sail area could be beneficial but I may be wrong.

We have never had the leech of our sail hang up on the backstay. Here is a picture of our boat with our damaged main sail:

Very curious to know: does our boat have a regular main sail for cruisers or does it have extra roach?

You mentioned "When used on a quality mainsail": how do you know when a mainsail is quality?

Also, for sailors who are not quite sure what a "good sail shape" actually means, wouldn't it be best to have the full battens so the sail can correct for our lack of knowledge?

Charlene & Rob
post #5 of 17 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCAL View Post
You have basically three options with regard to battens: all partial battens, all full length battens, or a mix with one or two full length battens at the top. I've had all configurations over the years. Most club racers seem to go with the mix length option as it allows an extended roach but still allows control of sail shape. When I replaced my full batten sail about 5 years ago, I went with two full battens at the top.
So for sailing in conditions where wind is <= 20 knots and where we are not racing, which one of the options is the best choice? Also since we are still relatively new at this and not sure what a 'good sail shape' actually means, since it sounds like full batten sails automatically keep a better sail shape, is that better for those of us still learning the art of sailing?
post #6 of 17 Old 10-16-2018

Wow, that's some main! Makes me feel much better about mine.
Skipper Jer likes this.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack
post #7 of 17 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Wow, that's some main! Makes me feel much better about mine.
Why? You mean because of the holes created from the squirrel's nest?
post #8 of 17 Old 10-16-2018

Catalina Direct sells Ullman sails and has some "special" pricing going on now.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...tten-main-.cfm
I bought my Catalina 28 sails through them several years ago and I'm happy with them. I'd go with full battens and a loose foot. Don't want to add confusion, but the loose foot sail does not have a bolt rope in the boom. It allows you to use the out haul a bit more effectively to affect sail shape. You may not want to mess with much adjustment when starting out but in time having options is a good thing.
It may be worth checking with your insurance company to see if there is any coverage for squirrel damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dfok For This Useful Post:
Charrob (10-16-2018)
post #9 of 17 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfok View Post
Catalina Direct sells Ullman sails and has some "special" pricing going on now.
https://www.catalinadirect.com/index...tten-main-.cfm
I bought my Catalina 28 sails through them several years ago and I'm happy with them. I'd go with full battens and a loose foot. Don't want to add confusion, but the loose foot sail does not have a bolt rope in the boom. It allows you to use the out haul a bit more effectively to affect sail shape. You may not want to mess with much adjustment when starting out but in time having options is a good thing.
It may be worth checking with your insurance company to see if there is any coverage for squirrel damage.
Thanks Dfok for responding. So why would you go with full battens rather than partial?

Our mainsail came with our boat when we purchased it and we've never taken it off the boom. I honestly don't remember there being an out haul line or a leech line. I'm thinking there is a line that goes from the clew that's tied to the end of the boom. But there's no block or anyway to adjust that line that i can think of. I'll take a better look and take a picture when i go to the boat tomorrow. Are out hauls usually adjustable, or are they simply a line tying the clew to the end of the boom with a big knot?
post #10 of 17 Old 10-16-2018

Is it perhaps worth having a professional repair person give a repair estimate? A hole in a sail doesn't necessarily render it useless.
overthehorizon likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in