Boston to NY - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 14 Old 10-22-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Re: Boston to NY

Ergh, Liberty Landing isn't in NYC, so he's right, nothing in NYC costs two bucks anymore. IIRC the Hudson ferry prices are the result of the gods at the Port Authority or some other political cabal.

Last time I rented one-way, a neighbor gave me his employee code to get Enterprise's employee rate. Which was SOUNDLY beaten by Hertz Local. Even without a AAA or other discount, Hertz Local can be a great deal IF you call ahead. This is a program where Hertz drops off the car you reserve at some local store, typically an auto body shop or motel or other business that sometimes needs rental cars. The car will be waiting for you and the drop-off process is about the same, either a Hertz local or another "Local" desk.

And rental car quotes usually omit the taxes and the insurance up-sell as well, unless you have insurance that also covers their "loss of economic benefit" steal.

Just remember, driving down from Boston you've got the Hudson River toll$ in addition to the gas and the work. At that point a "Chinatown" bus becomes way less work and money.

Last edited by hellosailor; 10-22-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 10-22-2018
Tartan 27' owner

My bad edguy3. I see you were talking about the same ferry that crosses from north to south over Morris Creek/Inlet where LL is. That would be helpful if one got out of PATH at Exchange Place/Light Rail connection.
I think you can still get pizza in some places in NY city for $2 or less but not many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy3 View Post
Generally, you're so right, but not in this case. I checked the link that Tempest provided and it really is $2.00 each way. Granted, the trip is probably 200 feet in length... but it beats the mile walk around the canal (and the 1/2 mile walk from the light rail station).

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post

Just remember, driving down from Boston you've got the Hudson River toll$ in addition to the gas and the work. At that point a "Chinatown" bus becomes way less work and money.
tolls are collected to NY, but not to NJ

post #14 of 14 Old 10-23-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Tolls...My bad! With the EZ-Steal on the windshield, I forget they're only picking my pocket in one direction now. I'm just used to seeing the results after I've come and gone round trip.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in