Boston to NY - SailNet Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-16-2018 Thread Starter

Boston to NY

Sort of a long shot request. I am helping someone sail his boat from Liberty Landing Marina, Jersey City to St Thomas next week. So I need to get from my home of North Andover (or Boston) to the marina. I am looking at buses. I found one that brings me from a neighboring town to Port Authority Bus Station, which on a map looks pretty close to where I want to be. Is this my best bet or does anyone have any better suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-16-2018

Take the train and uber on either end of it. I live in NH and get down to Newark 2x/year for work and NYC another 2x, and the train is the only way I do it now. A little more money, but a far better experience.
Slayer likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-16-2018

Re: Boston to NY

I think my first instinct would be to Take the NE Corridor Train to Penn Station, Hop a Subway downtown to the World Financial Center and take the Ferry across to Liberty Landing Marina.

Looks like the last Ferry to Liberty Landing Marina from WFC is @ 8:45 p.m. on Weekdays.

http://www.libertylandingferry.com/w...-schedule.aspx
Slayer, chef2sail and CalebD like this.

Last edited by tempest; 10-16-2018 at 08:43 PM.

post #4 of 14 Old 10-17-2018
Learning the HARD way...

+1 on the train. I did a delivery from Mamoraneck, NY, to Barrington, RI, a couple years ago. I parked my truck in Barrington and took an Uber to the train station in Providence. From Providence I took the train to Stamford, CT, then Uber to the Mamoraneck YC, and the boat back to Barrington.
Slayer likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-21-2018
Weekend Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest View Post
I think my first instinct would be to Take the NE Corridor Train to Penn Station, Hop a Subway downtown to the World Financial Center and take the Ferry across to Liberty Landing Marina.

Looks like the last Ferry to Liberty Landing Marina from WFC is @ 8:45 p.m. on Weekdays.

Weekday Schedule
Another alternative is the PATH train. The same ferry will take you across the marina's canal which is a couple blocks from the PATH station at exchange place. I hear the ferry costs $2.
Slayer likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-21-2018
Tartan 27' owner

Nothing in NY city costs $2 anymore; the subway will cost you $2.75 per ride.

If you come into Port Authority you can get the A/C/E subway train downtown to Chambers Street. You would then have to walk yourself and your gear to the World Financial Center and find:
Welcome to Liberty Landing Ferry Service
which will cost you $7.00 one way, but it drops you off right in the marina. Check the ferry schedule for times though.

If you get in too late for the ferry which stops running around 8:30pm the next best way to get to NJ is via the PATH train. Take the PATH train (trans hudson) to Newport or Exchange Place (closest). From either of these PATH stops I would try to hail a taxi to get to Liberty Landing as it is a pretty long schlepp over land to get to the marina proper.

I would never suggest you hop in a cab from Port Authority or anywhere in Manhattan to get to LLM, unless it was late at night and after rush hour. You would still be required to pay the tunnel toll ($15) plus whatever the cab fare is and it could take a long time to get through the tunnel to NJ.

The cheapest and fastest way to get there is the Liberty Landing Ferry service from World Financial Center.

Good luck and have fun, stay warm.

I also prefer the train to the bus for trips like this. A/C/E trains stop at Penn Station as well.
Slayer likes this.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 10-21-2018 at 04:12 PM.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-21-2018
██▓▓▒▒░░▒▒▓▓██

Tempest and ed have the two arguably best ways to go.

Amtrak, or a "real" bus line that costs real money but goes reliably into the Port Authority bus station, are the best ways for the big trip. And from there, taking a local subway (assuming you have everything on your back or in both hands) and then crossing over on the ferry, will be a slow but reliable and inexpensive conclusion.

Anything that routes you onto the city streets, like a "chinatown bus" will leave you to work out the subway routing yourself, which is not impossible just a PITA sometimes.

Anything that routes you straight into NJ, will leave you with fewer options for the final mile and pretty much require something like Uber. Unless timing is really tight...I'd relax and do the subway+ferry connection.

You might call the folks at Liberty Landing and ask them, if you're coming into NYC, what are the best ways to come down and across. If anything is shut for maintenance, etc., they should know about it.

And of course, do what you can to miss rush hour, especially if you're thinking of Uber.(G) After 4PM things can get very slow and crowded.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-21-2018
Weekend Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Nothing in NY city costs $2 anymore; the subway will cost you $2.75 per ride.
Generally, you're so right, but not in this case. I checked the link that Tempest provided and it really is $2.00 each way. Granted, the trip is probably 200 feet in length... but it beats the mile walk around the canal (and the 1/2 mile walk from the light rail station).
post #9 of 14 Old 10-22-2018

I've taken Amtrak from RI to Manhattan several times, round trip. Some on the same day. It's incredibly easy, albeit, not cheap.

For your mission, I would stop in your local Enterprise rental car place and price a one-way rental. The local shop in NJ will come to the marina to pick up the car, if you coordinate. At worst, you drive to the local Enterprise and they'll drive you over to the marina for free. I bet it's no more expensive than all the bus/trains/ferries and much easier. Door to door. I've done it and was surprised how much less expensive it was than I was expecting. It may depend on where they need the cars and which sizes, so talk to them, don't try to book it online.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've taken Amtrak from RI to Manhattan several times, round trip. Some on the same day. It's incredibly easy, albeit, not cheap.

For your mission, I would stop in your local Enterprise rental car place and price a one-way rental. The local shop in NJ will come to the marina to pick up the car, if you coordinate. At worst, you drive to the local Enterprise and they'll drive you over to the marina for free. I bet it's no more expensive than all the bus/trains/ferries and much easier. Door to door. I've done it and was surprised how much less expensive it was than I was expecting. It may depend on where they need the cars and which sizes, so talk to them, don't try to book it online.
Great Idea, I use Enterprise, almost exclusively, even purchased a car through them once. Great company. They have a Location in Jersey City. I just priced a one way trip from Boston (area) to J.C. on the net and it's about $154.00. (economy) Might be less expensive than the Public Trans. and certainly more convenient with Luggage. Good Idea to call ahead though and confirm everything. I do a delivery to Eastern L.I. where renting a car one way is much easier than public trans.
Slayer likes this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in