Hypothetical Radar - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old 10-23-2018

Re: Hypothetical Radar

My current house bank is Gel. I think AGMs are a poor choice for a cruiser, unless one has the ability to top them to 100% at least weekly. AGMs do not like operating for long at partial charge. My Gels can take it a bit better, but they take forever to charge. Not a problem, when we're plugged in during the week. Harder to manage, when we cruise. Lots of generator time.

Funny, I was just aboard a 70ft sailboat, run by a pro Captain. It has 8x4D AGMs. That's a ton of batteries and a huge recharge need. I asked about recharging and he admitted the generator runs all the time. In fact, with the owner aboard, they run it 24/7. Crazy.

Both my boat and this big boat would seriously benefit from LiFePO batts. One day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old 10-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
My current house bank is Gel. I think AGMs are a poor choice for a cruiser, unless one has the ability to top them to 100% at least weekly. AGMs do not like operating for long at partial charge. My Gels can take it a bit better, but they take forever to charge. Not a problem, when we're plugged in during the week. Harder to manage, when we cruise. Lots of generator time.

Funny, I was just aboard a 70ft sailboat, run by a pro Captain. It has 8x4D AGMs. That's a ton of batteries and a huge recharge need. I asked about recharging and he admitted the generator runs all the time. In fact, with the owner aboard, they run it 24/7. Crazy.

Both my boat and this big boat would seriously benefit from LiFePO batts. One day.
I have 2-8D AGMs and they are pretty much topped up all the time on a mooring with a few solar panels. Of course if you add lots of loads they will require more charging than the solar can do. This replenishment is accomplished with a high outout alternator on the engine which will typically be used min 2-3 hrs per day. Our refer is not 12v but engine drive so it's not a drain on the batts. We're all LED now as well. But radar is a big drain.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #23 of 24 Old 10-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
But radar is a big drain.
What do you consider a big drain?

I consider 3A a small to moderate drain, but that is relative to boat consumption, battery capacity, and charging abilities. 3A of an otherwise overall daily consumption of 50Ah from a 150Ah battery charged with a 75W panel is huge, while on our boat it would be small.

Also, today's radars and displays are much more power conservative than in the past. 2-3A operating current is the norm.

Mark

Dolphin 460 Catamaran "Reach"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Current boat

- Previous boat

post #24 of 24 Old 10-23-2018

For my "system" and use and so forth running MY old 2kw radar is a large draw.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Tags
battery , electrical , radar , swiftsure

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in