ICW, how late is too late? - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-31-2018 Thread Starter

ICW, how late is too late?

Will try to make this short. We made an offer on a boat in Annapolis about three months ago. We never came together on price. Got an email yesterday from broker that the owner would now accept our last offer. Figures. So get to the boat in about a week, spend two weeks commissioning and head south near the end of October.

Would this just be a chilly grind or an enjoyable trip? I have left Newport with snow on the deck in December but was in the Gulf Stream in 24 hours but not sure about putting the wife through at least two weeks of possible hell to get to South Carolina and eventually north Florida.

Anyone else left that late and enjoyed it?

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-31-2018

Re: ICW, how late is too late?

Why not go outside and make better time, weather permitting?

Chilly time of year, but common and doable, if you have a dry cockpit. You need to get below Cape Hatteras before the water warms.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-31-2018

Chilly time of year, but common and doable, if you have a dry cockpit. You need to get below Cape Hatteras before the water warms.

p.s. I just had a deal on a new boat fail, solely due to the time it would close, freezing temps and the immediate need for relocation. Price accepted, but owner and broker were not cooperative. Good deals now, but Spring is easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #4 of 12 Old 10-31-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post

p.s. I just had a deal on a new boat fail, solely due to the time it would close, freezing temps and the immediate need for relocation. Price accepted, but owner and broker were not cooperative. Good deals now, but Spring is easier.
That was kinda the plan. Do the ditch to Beaufort, NC and wait for a northwesterly window to jump to Charleston then wait again for a window to Port Canaveral where we are next in line for a slip. It's that Annapolis to Beaufort run of two weeks where average lows are 30-40s. I think I may end up single if the heater dies. [emoji15]

Keth

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
post #5 of 12 Old 10-31-2018
Sailor

We left Annapolis area at the end of October last year and took our time heading south via the ICW. We arrived in Saint Augustine around Christmas, in Daytona early January. Some of the pace was due to waiting out 3 gales along the way. Some due to commitments along the way that delayed us like needing to be in Pawleys Island, SC for Thanksgiving. Last year it was colder than normal, according to many. December got cold. We were thankful we had an enclosure as it would have been miserable otherwise. Plus some supplemental heat to warm the cabin in the evening at anchor. There was ice on the deck in St. Augustine after Christmas. It even hailed.

Leaving in late October is fine, especially if you have an enclosure! We woke to a solarium! The days weren't too bad. Get cozy at night.

Tod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandolin
Bayfield 36
Sailing out of Rock Creek, Chesapeake Bay
post #6 of 12 Old 10-31-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
That was kinda the plan. Do the ditch to Beaufort, NC and wait for a northwesterly window to jump to Charleston then wait again for a window to Port Canaveral where we are next in line for a slip. It's that Annapolis to Beaufort run of two weeks where average lows are 30-40s. I think I may end up single if the heater dies. [emoji15]
I'm sorry, but if your wife would be uncomfortable in the milder temperatures of late October/early November, even an hour spent in the Gulfstream in a northerly would probably be the last time you ever got her out on a boat. Beyond that, it is downright dangerous and once in it, there is no turning around as it's just as bad any way you go.
Of course, you could get lucky and manage to stay in the countercurrent, however, I wouldn't take that chance.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #7 of 12 Old 10-31-2018

Doing the ditch "late" might actually be nice. Lots of wildlife, possibly less traffic? Bringing woolies & hot chocolate might make any cold sessions bearable.
capta and Damon Gannon like this.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-31-2018
Learning the HARD way...

It sounds to me like the owner does not want to pay for winter storage, and has come to the realization that you made him the best offer he is likely to see.

This may have no bearing on the OP, but it reminds me of a situation that I went through. Years ago I made a below-asking-price offer on a boat. I felt, at the time, that it was a good offer. The seller counter offered, so I met him half-way with a counter-counter. I expected the broker and seller to graciously accept. Instead, the broker stated that the seller's counteroffer was as low as the seller would go, he didn't understand why I wasn't jumping on this opportunity, and the broker felt this was a "screaming deal." I disagreed and asked him why he didn't buy it if it was such a deal. I let him know that I would be looking at other boats.

Two weeks later the broker approached me to say that the seller would now agree to my last offer. I thanked him for that information, but let him know that I was no longer interested in dealing with either him or the seller. Three months after this dance began I learned that the seller had finally sold the boat for the price of my final offer. Nine years later, I am happy that I did not buy that boat or deal with that seller.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #9 of 12 Old 10-31-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post

Anyone else left that late and enjoyed it?
I just made it down to Florida today and am about 3 weeks ahead of my trip 2 years ago. But, there is currently low traffic on the ICW overall and I think a lot of cruisers are delayed due to weather. But weather wise it all depends on what you are used to as if you are cold.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #10 of 12 Old 10-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I disagreed and asked him why he didn't buy it if it was such a deal. I let him know that I would be looking at other boats.

Two weeks later the broker approached me to say that the seller would now agree to my last offer. I thanked him for that information, but let him know that I was no longer interested in dealing with either him or the seller. Three months after this dance began I learned that the seller had finally sold the boat for the price of my final offer. Nine years later, I am happy that I did not buy that boat or deal with that seller.
Amazingly similar circumstance just happened to me. I made an offer, raised it a bit, when it was declined and gave a reasonable deadline to accept the updated offer. Seller was radio silent right through my expiration date. He countered higher by ~5% a few days later and I said no. Another week passes and he comes back and takes my offer. At that point, I’ve made calendar commitments out three weeks, so survey then closing would be out near Dec 1. The only update in my willingness to accept was that the seller’s full time Captain had to move it to a warmer climate for me. No way I or another crew was going to shake it down in time to leave before Christmas. Better yet, this Captain was already prepped and ready to head South now. They refused. The broker even refused to help. I rejected the boat.

To be clear, the seller was buying another boat and keeping his Captain, so it wasn’t like he was being set free. I even offered to pay the Captain for the time.

My wife didn’t trust the broker the day she met him. Seemed like a spoiled kid to her. This really pissed her off, as she loved this boat, and she doesn’t want me to deal with him at all now. We’ll see. I do have a trust problem with both the seller and broker.

Jeanneau 54DS

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in