Crazy first time out on my sailboat today - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 65 Old 11-02-2018
S/V Wyndwitch - Morgan 24

Re: Crazy first time out on my sailboat today

hard way to learn but would say honestly you were lucky given your cavalier approach to handling an unfamiliar boat. Rule 1: know your boat! None of us has any business taking a day party out until we know the basic condition of boat systems plumbing through hulls etc etc. Since things got wet empty out the wet gear clean her all up and get on your hands and knees with a flashlight and check things out. Dont be in a hurry..ask yourself what is That thing this gizmo that wire this hose then check the valves. Take a close look at hose couplings the sink drain (an under appreciated threat!) Jot down any problems. Then do a gear inventory count life preservers flares yadayada. Then prep yourself for a test launch with an experienced friend no guests crowds or babies! Ease the boat in and check all thruhulls drains etc secure the boat away from ramp and let her sit. Check all fittings and bilge again. When you are very sure the boat is remaining dry drop the centerboard 1/3 down and see if any seepage occurs anywhere. If all is well take her for a short run and if all is still well haul sail and take a short sail Return to dock and check everything again especially inside along gunnels, thru hulls (yes again!) If all is dry you did not find a leak or obvious flaw by being this thorough, you have a mystery to solve : what happened Last time! Until that issue is resolved and the boat secured you have no business taking anyone out in your boat. I strongly suggest you avoid being in a hurry to do anything on a boat practice foresight and due diligence always. Thereafter have fun but read Chapman's, Sailing Illustrated and at least three other good general sailing guides this winter until you realize just how truly lucky you were on that first trip.
Best of luck with your boat and what can be a wonderful sport if aporoached responsibly.
Fair Winds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
chef2sail, ottos and 1Nomad like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 65 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I do agree, I wasn't planning a party cruise on the boat. The weather was scheduled to be sunny, warm with light winds. I live in NJ and it's November. I wanted to get the boat in the water once and see what was what. I was happy my friend was available so I could get it out. Last minute he asks if I mind if his 3 friends come along because they are in town for only a few days from England. I preferred not going solo so I agree if they didn't mind and knew it was the first time out on the boat. His friend also has sailing experience. The lake is a tiny lake with nobody out on it. I came prepared with tools, extra winch, extra tires, etc. I wouldn't say I just willy nilly decided to take the boat out. I had all proper safely equipment on board, just wish I had a bilge pump with me.

Do I wish I did it different, sure but I was trying to get the boat in the water before having to wait another 5 months. I replaced 3 stays before taking it out and went over other aspects of the boat. It's my first sailboat but I'm not unfamiliar with boats.

The only below water line hole is the one for the sink drain that comes to a valve. No water leaked out of the hull or that hole when it was sitting on the trailer with 8 inches of water in it. I will plug it anyway because I don't want any issues for something that doesn't need to be on the boat.

Here are some photos of the centerboard and bilge area and hoses that contain the line to raise and lower the centerboard. I'm going to replace them and seal the hose. Also looking to see if the fiberglass areas around the centerboard could be an issue a wouldn't know until I replace the other hoses and test it wet again.
Attached Thumbnails
20181102_172837_1541211470798.jpg   20181102_172808_1541211490993.jpg   20181102_170500_1541211560004.jpg   20181102_170350_1541211599572.jpg   20181102_174254_1541211661728.jpg  

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 65 Old 11-02-2018

The good news is that a leak that bad should be easy to find.

I had one that was would only show up when sailing and usually heeled over. After driving me crazy for over a year, when crawling around in the back of the boat checking the rudder cables, I found a crack in the bottom of the bilge pump hose as it made a sharp turn into the thru hull. Seems it only leaked water when the thru hull went under water at speed.
oysterman23 likes this.

S/V First Tracks
1985 Cal 33-2

post #14 of 65 Old 11-03-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePNJ View Post
Here are some photos of the centerboard and bilge area and hoses that contain the line to raise and lower the centerboard. I'm going to replace them and seal the hose. Also looking to see if the fiberglass areas around the centerboard could be an issue a wouldn't know until I replace the other hoses and test it wet again.
When you replace the hoses put two clamps on each connection. The clamps should be opposite facing of each other. The fact this is not done shows some shortcuts in previous maintenance. Replacing them might solve the leaks or you might find the issue when crawling through your boat.

Another note, when I take out any kids I insist the parents bring a PFD for the child and the child wears it while on the water. It is just me playing it safe. I don't think I would ever take a baby out sailing because as you have seen things can happen and it would be hard to keep a babies head above water if something does.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 65 Old 11-03-2018 Thread Starter

The baby was wearing a PFD.

She had it on before boarding the boat.

I have 2 children of my own. In NJ it's required for 13 years old and under to wear it. I've owned boats for the past 12 years, have a slip I rent every year, I live 50 feet from the largest lake in NJ. (This year is a draw down year so that lake wasn't usable.)

I took it to a tiny man made lake nearby.

I don't know why everyone is thinking the baby wasnt wearing a PFD. I had jackets for everyone on board also.
jephotog, ottos and Arcb like this.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

post #16 of 65 Old 11-03-2018

I took both my kids sailing as babies. My youngest is 4 and a half months and she has done lots of protected water sailing.

This is the baby lifejacket I use. Rated 9lbs and up.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5013-812/Baby-PFD
post #17 of 65 Old 11-03-2018

Water pressure is an amazing thing. When submerged, water ingress was being pushed in, under pressure. When you hauled, it was just gravity draining it out, so I wouldn’t expect to find the leak that way.

Could have been a small crack in a hose, leaking valve, loose clamp or even failed bedding on the thru hull. None would allow much water back out.

The good news is you have a very limited number of places this could be occurring. I would update/upgrade them.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #18 of 65 Old 11-03-2018

Leaks can be hard to find.

Is there a cockpit drain that goes out the transom? Look below decks at both ends of that drain line.

Centerboard trunks can be a source of leak. It looks like most of the centerboard is housed in the shoal keel, but look around the top of the trunk for any signs of laminate separation.

And the Dread Previous Owner (DPO) might have installed a drain plug somewhere in the hull to keep the interior drained when it is sitting on the trailer. Inspect the underside to see if there are any other through-hull fittings besides the sink.

And while you are at it, replace the hose on the centerboard trunk cable and sink... both look suspect.

Good luck with your search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oysterman23 View Post
test launch...Ease the boat in and check all thruhulls drains etc secure the boat away from ramp and let her sit. Check all fittings and bilge again. When you are very sure the boat is remaining dry drop the centerboard 1/3 down and see if any seepage occurs anywhere. If all is well take her for a short run and if all is still well haul sail and take a short sail
excellent advice. Some leaks can be found only by getting the boat wet.
post #19 of 65 Old 11-03-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Ok you don’t get it.....as evidenced by making excuses for what you did.
You did something very unsafe.

The CAPTAIN is the one who is responsible. Period
Your decisions MUST always be made with safety in mind first. You failed to do that and were pressured by another person to take guests on an unproven to you boat you had never previously tested. You should have said no.

So what is was a lake .
so what it was calm.
So what it was good weather

You took out an untested boat you don’t know well with passengers and endangered everyone. Had someone gotten hurt or injured in this escapade who do you think would be held liable?
YOU WOULD

Thankfully nothing really happened. You get a second chance. If you don’t correct this poor judgement decision starting by owning it , you will repeat. The water is not forgiving, not prejudiced and should be respected. If not your life....than others.

Sorry to be so blunt....b

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
post #20 of 65 Old 11-03-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Ok you don’t get it.....as evidenced by making excuses for what you did.
You did something very unsafe.

The CAPTAIN is the one who is responsible. Period
Your decisions MUST always be made with safety in mind first. You failed to do that and were pressured by another person to take guests on an unproven to you boat you had never previously tested. You should have said no.

So what is was a lake .
so what it was calm.
So what it was good weather

You took out an untested boat you don’t know well with passengers and endangered everyone. Had someone gotten hurt or injured in this escapade who do you think would be held liable?
YOU WOULD

Thankfully nothing really happened. You get a second chance. If you don’t correct this poor judgement decision starting by owning it , you will repeat. The water is not forgiving, not prejudiced and should be respected. If not your life....than others.

Sorry to be so blunt....b
And this is why I love internet forums.

I understand the responsibility of being a CAPTAIN.

I was not making excuses, I was giving reasons for my judgement call.

The "lake" I was on has a depth of 7-12 feet maximum. The weather was beyond calm. I wasn't sure we would have wind to sail. Temps were in the 70's.

Nobody was at risk of losing their life. At max a 100 yard swim to the shoreline would have been required. I had more than enough life jackets for everyone, throwable float cushions, flares, air horns, whistles, and capable swimmers and a certified lifeguard on board.

The worst case scenario involved everyone getting wet and me having to pay to have my boat retrieved from the lake bed.

I own my judgement call. I was going to go out solo if my friend wasn't available.

It's a 19 foot boat on a tiny, calm, still body of water on the day I was going out.

To everyone with the helpful comments thank you.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in