Crazy first time out on my sailboat today - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Re: Crazy first time out on my sailboat today

Adding an electric bilge pump might be a nice addition provided you have the charging and battery capacity to make it count, a lot of boats that size don't. Mine doesn't, and I therefore have no electric pump. Just a portable manual and a bailing can.

As for bailing into the sink, figure a guy who is serious about bailing a boat out is going to be chucking 3/4 of a gallon every 5 seconds. Can your galley sink keep up with that kind of volume? I know on my boat, it would be going out the companionway. The sink is a nice dry place for keys and wallets, if you want to keep it self draining, that's cool. The seacock fix is a nice compromise between the two schools of thought.

The key to keeping a boat afloat is keeping the water on the outside. In your case that probably means fixing up your scuppers and centreboard trunk to work as originally designed. If the boat was originally fitted with an automatic bilge pump, it might be worth replacing, if it wasn't, you might have to drill an extra hole in your boat to fit one...

I am of the school of thought the fewer holes in the boat the better, but in your case, the cockpit drains are critical to the safe functioning of the boat I don't think there is a way around that.
MikePNJ likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

I think that smaller boats usually have cockpit drains above the waterline. But yours drain below the waterline as do most larger boats. The cockpit sole is above the waterline, water will flow down the scuppers into the lake. You do not need a "check valve". But it is good practice to install a seacock on every below-the-waterline thruhull.

Consider a few failure modes:
- the boat is overloaded and the cockpit sole drops below the waterline: water will backfill from the lake, through the scupper into the cockpit.
- cracked hose from the thruhull to the scupper: water will flow into the bilge
- hose knocked off of the thruhull: water will flow into the bilge.

You attached pictures of the outside of the scupper and thruhull ... I'd be curious to see a picture from the inside, where the hose connects to the thruhull (apologies if you did already and I missed it)

Same is true of your sink. The sink thruhull is below the waterline and the sink is above the waterline. Water drains out (unless the boat is overloaded so much that the sink drops below the waterline.

I agree with others that suggested you fix this properly vs just "plugging it". it's not hard to fix.

1977 Bristol 29.9
Surprise
Hull #5
Oriental NC
post #53 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Arcb's method of furiously chucking the water into the cockpit is a bit futile if you have disconnected the scuppers.
Arcb likes this.

post #54 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulinnanaimo View Post
Arcb's method of furiously chucking the water into the cockpit is a bit futile if you have disconnected the scuppers.
Actually, my method is keeping the water out in the first place. I doubt very many posters here have adequate pumping arrangements to handle prolnged serious flooding at sea.

A good many small yachts have inboard engines with stuffing boxes and are left in the water, often charging on shore power when not in use often for weeks on end. This is very different usage than the typical trailer sailor or dinghy sailor.

Last edited by Arcb; 11-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.
post #55 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Arcb
I know that you would never have a flooded cabin, I was referring to your hypothetical situation only.
Arcb likes this.
post #56 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Paul, totally agree with both your comments. The OPs cockpit scuppers are critical to the boats sewaorthiness. Both from the perspective of dewatering the cockpit and dewatering the cabin (via the companionway).

Maybe I shouldnt quote people when I agree with them

I just dont think the sink is that critical, personally. Also not sure an electric bilge pump is critical. Even high end boats in this size rangelike a Norseboat 21.5 don't come with standard electric bilge pumps.
post #57 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
...Also not sure an electric bilge pump is critical. Even high end boats in this size rangelike a Norseboat 21.5 don't come with standard electric bilge pumps.
As someone who urged OP to install a bilge pump, I never said it should be an electric one. As others pointed out, an electric pump is only as good as the battery powering it.

However, after that OP mentioned possibly keeping the boat in a slip. That makes an automatic electric pump a little more important.
chef2sail and Arcb like this.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #58 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
As someone who urged OP to install a bilge pump, I never said it should be an electric one. As others pointed out, an electric pump is only as good as the battery powering it.

However, after that OP mentioned possibly keeping the boat in a slip. That makes an automatic electric pump a little more important.
You should always have a manual means of bailing. Since my boat is a picnic boat with minimal access to the bilge I have a manual pump with a fairly long hose on it so it will be usable through an inspection port if need be along with the plastic bleach bottle scoop however the boat also has full flotation and was designed to be able to sail even if it gets completely swamped. Just shift your crew and passengers as far forward as possible to ensure the rear of the cockpit is above the waterline to ensure the scupper drains the cockpit more quickly. With a little forward motion it works very well to get water taken in after burying the rail during some aggressive fun out on the boat.

In a slip or on a mooring its an automatic electric pump and a solar panel to keep it operating as long as possible. Its no fun to get a call from the Harbor Master telling you your decks are about to be awash and your boat is going down sitting at the mooring.

Last edited by SeaStar58; 11-05-2018 at 09:54 PM.
post #59 of 65 Old 11-05-2018 Thread Starter

I really appreciate the input everyone.

Now that I understand what is going on with those scuppers, I have no intention of plugging them. It was a knee jerk reaction after having to bail out 150 gallons of water in my driveway. (All while standing up and tossing it over the side from the cabin, lol) I thought it was some kind of drain plug issue that was missing.

Especially since it appears to be a simple hose replacement and proper connection fix. The hardest part will be accessing the damaged hoses behind the lazarettes. I'll snap some photos of the fun. I've got a busy week this week with my business in addition to coaching my sons soccer team and a big tournament next weekend. I hope to tackle it some time next week before it gets cold.

Then to get it wet and inspect the hose fix and centerboard inspection. I'm still on the fence with the sink through hull but can see both sides of the story.

I was thinking of going with a deep cycle marine group 24 battery for the bilge pump. I've also thought about a small solar panel to provide power just for the bilge pump. That's down the road though because I'm either trailer sailing it or dry storage and day sailing for next season.

There is one above water through hull that drains from the anchor locker on the deck. It's a very small Danforth shaped locker. I have 2 Danforths of different sizes but they are too large to stow away with the door closed. I switched to a box anchor and love it for my lake. Catches every time, first attempt.

Mike

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #60 of 65 Old 11-05-2018

Good luck. I’m dying to see what connects the drain in the cockpit to the thru hull. If you weren’t spilling water into the cockpit, when you took the pics showing water exiting those thru hulls, then the connection beneath the cockpit and thru hull must be compromised.

However, I find it surprising they were both compromised. There may be more to what’s going on here that we can follow by written description.
MikePNJ likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in