Crazy first time out on my sailboat today - SailNet Community
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

Crazy first time out on my sailboat today

So where do I begin? I bought a 83 Starwind 19 early in September. It was cheap and was a single owner boat. The PO died last year and the boat had been sitting for a while. I replace the winch, bow stop, and put better tires on the trailer. I step the mast in my driveway and see 2 of the shrouds need replacing and the forstay while I'm at it because that's an important one. I get my new rigging back and run out of time with my friend trying to get it in and have to return home without getting it in.

(I've always wanted to sail, read some books, done some help out sailing cruises but nothing of substance)

Fast forward to today. I have another friend that has sailing experience (good for me) and the weather is great so I'm up for get this boat wet today. He asks if I mind if his wife, friend, friends wife and baby come along because they are in town for a few days and arrived today. Sure no problem. So it's 5 adults and a baby.

After trailering it to the water, setting up rigging, outboard, etc, I finally get it in the water. I motor out to the open lake and we raise the main.

I'm ecstatic, the boat is moving along and everyone is enjoying the view and the late afternoon sun is great. We're probably out about a half hour and I'm loving it!

Then all hell breaks loose.

My friend's wife says, hey is that water normal inside? I look in the companionway and the water is 6 inches deep. Yikes. Looks like it's rising and I don't have a bilge pump. After dropping the main, we fire up the outboard and make sure everyone has a life jacket. (Worst feeling ever, the water is filling and I'm afraid the boat may end up totally going down.)

We get it back to the boat ramp and I get the trailer in quickly, pull the boat and it's crushing the trailer with weight and breaks the winch. It is hanging on the back of the trailer emptying water out of the aft scuppers. Pouring out.

I had brought a second winch with me, turns out a great idea. We get it back on the trailer and take down the rigging. I tow it home and begin the inspection underneath. Nothing is leaking. The cabin has 8 - 10 inches of water in it after driving it home.

I don't understand where the water came in so fast? It's the entire hull compromised? Ugh.

I spent 2 hours with a shop vac getting the water out. I estimated from all the dumping out, probably 150 gallons of water.

Here are some pictures because everyone loves pictures. I didn't get the ones that count of the water inside, I was too concerned getting water out instead of taking pictures.

Any thoughts on what could have happened?

I've owned power boats for the last 10 years, and also have a tritoon I bought new 2 years ago.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20181101_162558_1541133797477.jpg   20181101_164339_1541133837092.jpg   20181101_164316_1541133861122.jpg   20181101_171940_1541134025570.jpg   46456_1541134099041.jpeg  

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 11-02-2018

Re: Crazy first time out on my sailboat today

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePNJ View Post

Any thoughts on what could have happened?
!
Where is the water draining from in the last photo? Was that drain or scupper well secured when out sailing? How does the o-ring on it look?

Does you boat have a centerboard? My first suspect would be centerboard seals/brackets.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 68 Old 11-02-2018

Did you replace the hoses from the cockpit drains to the through hulls and double clamp them. Could be something simple like old hoses and clamps needed replacing or something very common such as forgetting to put the bilge drain plug in place. If the scupper float on the cockpit drain failed the cabin would not fill up first as the water would be bubbling up through the cockpit drains around your feet unless the hoses had failed. If the centerboard trunk failed catastrophically then you usually would have had a flood of water pouring out of the bottom of the boat around the centerboard when you put it on the trailer.

post #4 of 68 Old 11-02-2018

The entirety of the fiberglass is not compromised. You have just so many hull penetrations and one of them is leaking. It’s either at the penetration itself or, if a hose is attached, anywhere along it’s length.

Does your vessel have a bilge drain plug? Was it installed, did it come loose?

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of 68 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

So the water is pouring out of the drains that lead out above the waterline. The boat is tilted back not fully on the trailer and the water was so high it was draining from the cockpit area. I was seated working the tiller and no water was inside near me on the floor but down below in the cabin the water was filling. I didn't see any water even dripping out anywhere after my 30 minute drive home.

It was dark outside and I went in and had a quick dinner. No water in my driveway, on the road or anywhere. The boat had about 150 gallons of water inside it at this point. I saw small patches of darker wet on the hull but nothing was dripping or seeping water. I figured it should be coming out somewhere but nothing. There were some lake weed blooms inside not just straight water but I don't know if that was from the area that was sealed with plywood where the above seating is covering or entered from a hole.

I never dropped the keel. It has a line just before the companionway entrance.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

Planning on getting this boat wet before the season is past me ... and keeping the inside dry !!!

post #6 of 68 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

I don't know if there is a bilge drain plug, I'll have to check that out. There are hoses inside that lead to above the water line to let water out through a bilge pump and for the sink drain. I'll need to get in and look at it later.

Mike

1983 Starwind 19

post #7 of 68 Old 11-02-2018

Do you have any pics of how the centreboard trunk penetration is sealed from the interior of the boat? I am wondering if its possible the boat was overloaded/over trimmed to the point the centre board penetration was submerged.

I guess you figured this out, but bring a bilge pump and bailing can.

Your boat is under 20 feet, so it should have a capacity plate saying the total number of persons allowed on board. Its worth checking.
post #8 of 68 Old 11-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcb View Post
Do you have any pics of how the centreboard trunk penetration is sealed from the interior of the boat? I am wondering if its possible the boat was overloaded/over trimmed to the point the centre board penetration was submerged.
I am going to just guess that the boat was overloaded but only by a person or two and a baby. I don't think a few 100 extra pounds should affect a boat's floatability like it did.

Note to self: don't take a baby out on a shake down sail.
Arcb likes this.

Jordan
West Wight Potter 14 "Lemon Drop"
Oceanside CA
post #9 of 68 Old 11-02-2018

If I remember correctly, the centerboard is sealed from the cabin, except possibly where its pivot pin is mounted in the centerboard 'pocket'. The line for controlling the centerboard, the pennant, runs through a hose from the cockpit sole to the below-waterline centerboard pocket. The sink drain hose T's into that hose. I think that connection is close to the waterline. Try checking that.
MikePNJ likes this.
post #10 of 68 Old 11-02-2018

Also, my manual bilge pump was located in the cabin, under that removable center panel of the v-berth. Not real convenient for single-handing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in