SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/326644-snubber-bridle-any-better-than-single-line-snubber.html)

paulinnanaimo 11-02-2018 12:11 PM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
In the right wind conditions, some days our fat mid section IOR boat will sail more miles at anchor than we sailed to get there.

Jeff356 11-02-2018 12:52 PM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Always had an issue with the boat sailing on anchor and have worked to reduce it.

With high free board there is nothing that can be done there but if the dinghy is on the deck, take it off to reduce windage. I got a riding sail that I put up as soon as we are anchored which helps but I found if there was a single anchor line I still sailed. See pic.

I still sailed back and forth so I fashioned a double snubber that I use to the front side cleats which provides the best response to the back and forth sailing, also lowering the anchor rode point which also helps.

Jeff

SanderO 11-02-2018 12:55 PM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
Shiva is fractional w/ high free board and will dance when as the winds pick up. We use a riding sail which really improves the yawing because the boat can behave like a weather vane and point to the wind.

MikeOReilly 11-02-2018 01:00 PM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by capta (Post 2051561484)
We run our snub one through the bow line stb chock instead of the anchor roller and this definitely helps. We will use two when the wind and seas are up, ...

Yes, forgot to mention this. My snubbers are run from the stbd and port chocks, not over the roller directly off the bow. I think this helps limit the possible yaw angle.

RegisteredUser 11-02-2018 01:11 PM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
A 2nd snubber run aft to mid cleat will help steady it.
My boat hunts like it is a registered AKC breed

olddog57 11-02-2018 01:30 PM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff356 (Post 2051561512)
Always had an issue with the boat sailing on anchor and have worked to reduce it.

With high free board there is nothing that can be done there but if the dinghy is on the deck, take it off to reduce windage. I got a riding sail that I put up as soon as we are anchored which helps but I found if there was a single anchor line I still sailed. See pic.

I still sailed back and forth so I fashioned a double snubber that I use to the front side cleats which provides the best response to the back and forth sailing, also lowering the anchor rode point which also helps.

Jeff

O, thanks, we really have our dinghy on the deck.

paulk 11-02-2018 03:58 PM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
We find that dragging buckets off the stern can dampen swinging quite a bit. Sometimes setting the rudder a little off to one side or another can make a big difference too. Lots of things can combine to make a boat swing at anchor. Sometimes it is a good idea to have several different tricks up your sleeve.

olddog57 11-04-2018 06:28 AM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RegisteredUser (Post 2051561536)
A 2nd snubber run aft to mid cleat will help steady it.
My boat hunts like it is a registered AKC breed

Thought of smth alike, will try.

olddog57 11-04-2018 08:15 AM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff356 (Post 2051561512)
Always had an issue with the boat sailing on anchor and have worked to reduce it.

With high free board there is nothing that can be done there but if the dinghy is on the deck, take it off to reduce windage. I got a riding sail that I put up as soon as we are anchored which helps but I found if there was a single anchor line I still sailed. See pic.

I still sailed back and forth so I fashioned a double snubber that I use to the front side cleats which provides the best response to the back and forth sailing, also lowering the anchor rode point which also helps.

Jeff

Not clear for me what do mean by "lowering the anchor rode point"

capta 11-04-2018 08:37 AM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog57 (Post 2051561948)
Not clear for me what do mean by "lowering the anchor rode point"

As in a towing eye or a bobstay fitting.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome