SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  MikeOReilly 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,
last summer when anchored near Cascais, Portugal, wind gusting 30 smth knots, we experienced during the whole night quite crazy swinging.
We do have a high bow (Fisher 34 m/s), and we used, as usually, some 4-5 meters snubber. I wonder if using a V-shaped bridle could reduce this jerking.

We are a sloop-rigged boat, so having a reefed mizzen is not an option..

#5 ·
It may help, but I'll bet most of the action is due to wind operating on your topsides and canvas. If it's too much, you could try to fly an anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers on the end of your boom.
I think I'll try a small sail between the after-stay and the boom, but I hardly understand your "anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers..." Did you see a photo of such contraption?

#3 ·
It may improve things … it can’t make it worse. A lot depends on your boat, the underbody, and the kind of windage you experience.

I always run double snubbers in a bridle. My boat is a full keel, heavy displacement, cutter. She doesn’t yaw much, but the double snubbers definitely makes it even better.

I also prefer the added security of having two independent snubbers on the chain. If one lets loose, it’s nice to have a backup.

#4 ·
It may improve things … it can't make it worse. A lot depends on your boat, the underbody, and the kind of windage you experience.

I always run double snubbers in a bridle. My boat is a full keel, heavy displacement, cutter. She doesn't yaw much, but the double snubbers definitely makes it even better.

I also prefer the added security of having two independent snubbers on the chain. If one lets loose, it's nice to have a backup.
Mine is long keel, almost 12 ton 34-footer - very heavy, but, I think, because of the high bow, the yawing was terrible.

#6 · (Edited)
It will help. However, it is a high windage boat, so minor adjustments may not help. The riding sail a good idea. The Fin Delta from Banner Bay Marine is the best.

A small sail set from the mast will NOT help and may make it worse. It needs to be all the way back. It also really helps to be in a V, like the Fin Delta. I have tested several.

Meanwhile, I would try a hammerlock mooring. Lower a second anchor from the bow, with just enough scope so that it drags on the bottom without really setting. That should calm it down. Try lowering it at the extreme of the swing. A scoop, Delta, or claw works well for this.

https://amzn.to/2SG6kgA

#10 ·
We run our snub one through the bow line stb chock instead of the anchor roller and this definitely helps. We will use two when the wind and seas are up, but I haven't noticed that the second makes much difference to boat movement, just my sleep.
I have noticed that no matter what, some boats just ride horribly at anchor. Not individual boats, but a series of boats by some manufacturers, which I won't name in the interest of peace. If you've got one of those then you are just stuck, riding sail or not, or you could try anchoring by the stern.

#14 ·
We run our snub one through the bow line stb chock instead of the anchor roller and this definitely helps. We will use two when the wind and seas are up, ...
Yes, forgot to mention this. My snubbers are run from the stbd and port chocks, not over the roller directly off the bow. I think this helps limit the possible yaw angle.

#12 ·
Always had an issue with the boat sailing on anchor and have worked to reduce it.

With high free board there is nothing that can be done there but if the dinghy is on the deck, take it off to reduce windage. I got a riding sail that I put up as soon as we are anchored which helps but I found if there was a single anchor line I still sailed. See pic.

I still sailed back and forth so I fashioned a double snubber that I use to the front side cleats which provides the best response to the back and forth sailing, also lowering the anchor rode point which also helps.

Jeff

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.