SailNet Community

SailNet Community (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber? (https://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/326644-snubber-bridle-any-better-than-single-line-snubber.html)

olddog57 11-02-2018 07:36 AM

Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?

Hello everybody,
last summer when anchored near Cascais, Portugal, wind gusting 30 smth knots, we experienced during the whole night quite crazy swinging.
We do have a high bow (Fisher 34 m/s), and we used, as usually, some 4-5 meters snubber. I wonder if using a V-shaped bridle could reduce this jerking.

We are a sloop-rigged boat, so having a reefed mizzen is not an option..

Minnewaska 11-02-2018 08:23 AM

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?

It may help, but Iíll bet most of the action is due to wind operating on your topsides and canvas. If itís too much, you could try to fly an anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers on the end of your boom.

MikeOReilly 11-02-2018 11:06 AM

It may improve things Ö it canít make it worse. A lot depends on your boat, the underbody, and the kind of windage you experience.

I always run double snubbers in a bridle. My boat is a full keel, heavy displacement, cutter. She doesnít yaw much, but the double snubbers definitely makes it even better.

I also prefer the added security of having two independent snubbers on the chain. If one lets loose, itís nice to have a backup.

olddog57 11-02-2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeOReilly (Post 2051561466)
It may improve things Ö it canít make it worse. A lot depends on your boat, the underbody, and the kind of windage you experience.

I always run double snubbers in a bridle. My boat is a full keel, heavy displacement, cutter. She doesnít yaw much, but the double snubbers definitely makes it even better.

I also prefer the added security of having two independent snubbers on the chain. If one lets loose, itís nice to have a backup.

Mine is long keel, almost 12 ton 34-footer - very heavy, but, I think, because of the high bow, the yawing was terrible.

olddog57 11-02-2018 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 2051561436)
It may help, but Iíll bet most of the action is due to wind operating on your topsides and canvas. If itís too much, you could try to fly an anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers on the end of your boom.

I think I'll try a small sail between the after-stay and the boom, but I hardly understand your "anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers..." Did you see a photo of such contraption?

pdqaltair 11-02-2018 11:19 AM

It will help. However, it is a high windage boat, so minor adjustments may not help. The riding sail a good idea. The Fin Delta from Banner Bay Marine is the best.

A small sail set from the mast will NOT help and may make it worse. It needs to be all the way back. It also really helps to be in a V, like the Fin Delta. I have tested several.

Meanwhile, I would try a hammerlock mooring. Lower a second anchor from the bow, with just enough scope so that it drags on the bottom without really setting. That should calm it down. Try lowering it at the extreme of the swing. A scoop, Delta, or claw works well for this.

https://amzn.to/2SG6kgA

MikeOReilly 11-02-2018 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog57 (Post 2051561468)
Mine is long keel, almost 12 ton 34-footer - very heavy, but, I think, because of the high bow, the yawing was terrible.

Iíd definitely give the double bridle a try then. Our bow also rises Ö I wouldnít call it high, but we might have the same general shape. The double bridle will help, Iím sure.

pdqaltair 11-02-2018 11:25 AM

tempest 11-02-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olddog57 (Post 2051561470)
I think I'll try a small sail between the after-stay and the boom, but I hardly understand your "anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers..." Did you see a photo of such contraption?

https://www.bannerbaymarine.com/inde...ct_detail&p=25

This is a unique design. Some are a single piece

capta 11-02-2018 11:33 AM

We run our snub one through the bow line stb chock instead of the anchor roller and this definitely helps. We will use two when the wind and seas are up, but I haven't noticed that the second makes much difference to boat movement, just my sleep.
I have noticed that no matter what, some boats just ride horribly at anchor. Not individual boats, but a series of boats by some manufacturers, which I won't name in the interest of peace. If you've got one of those then you are just stuck, riding sail or not, or you could try anchoring by the stern.