Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber? - SailNet Community
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?

Hello everybody,
last summer when anchored near Cascais, Portugal, wind gusting 30 smth knots, we experienced during the whole night quite crazy swinging.
We do have a high bow (Fisher 34 m/s), and we used, as usually, some 4-5 meters snubber. I wonder if using a V-shaped bridle could reduce this jerking.

We are a sloop-rigged boat, so having a reefed mizzen is not an option..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 11-02-2018

Re: Is snubber bridle any better than single-line snubber?

It may help, but Iíll bet most of the action is due to wind operating on your topsides and canvas. If itís too much, you could try to fly an anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers on the end of your boom.
SanderO and RegisteredUser like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #3 of 24 Old 11-02-2018
Old soul

It may improve things Ö it canít make it worse. A lot depends on your boat, the underbody, and the kind of windage you experience.

I always run double snubbers in a bridle. My boat is a full keel, heavy displacement, cutter. She doesnít yaw much, but the double snubbers definitely makes it even better.

I also prefer the added security of having two independent snubbers on the chain. If one lets loose, itís nice to have a backup.
olddog57 likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
It may improve things Ö it canít make it worse. A lot depends on your boat, the underbody, and the kind of windage you experience.

I always run double snubbers in a bridle. My boat is a full keel, heavy displacement, cutter. She doesnít yaw much, but the double snubbers definitely makes it even better.

I also prefer the added security of having two independent snubbers on the chain. If one lets loose, itís nice to have a backup.
Mine is long keel, almost 12 ton 34-footer - very heavy, but, I think, because of the high bow, the yawing was terrible.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-02-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It may help, but Iíll bet most of the action is due to wind operating on your topsides and canvas. If itís too much, you could try to fly an anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers on the end of your boom.
I think I'll try a small sail between the after-stay and the boom, but I hardly understand your "anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers..." Did you see a photo of such contraption?
post #6 of 24 Old 11-02-2018

It will help. However, it is a high windage boat, so minor adjustments may not help. The riding sail a good idea. The Fin Delta from Banner Bay Marine is the best.

A small sail set from the mast will NOT help and may make it worse. It needs to be all the way back. It also really helps to be in a V, like the Fin Delta. I have tested several.

Meanwhile, I would try a hammerlock mooring. Lower a second anchor from the bow, with just enough scope so that it drags on the bottom without really setting. That should calm it down. Try lowering it at the extreme of the swing. A scoop, Delta, or claw works well for this.

https://amzn.to/2SG6kgA
olddog57 likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-02-2018 at 11:23 AM.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-02-2018
Old soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog57 View Post
Mine is long keel, almost 12 ton 34-footer - very heavy, but, I think, because of the high bow, the yawing was terrible.
Iíd definitely give the double bridle a try then. Our bow also rises Ö I wouldnít call it high, but we might have the same general shape. The double bridle will help, Iím sure.
olddog57 likes this.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG:
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOReilly For This Useful Post:
olddog57 (11-02-2018)
post #8 of 24 Old 11-02-2018

Fin Delta
olddog57 likes this.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
The Following User Says Thank You to pdqaltair For This Useful Post:
olddog57 (11-02-2018)
post #9 of 24 Old 11-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog57 View Post
I think I'll try a small sail between the after-stay and the boom, but I hardly understand your "anchor sail, which looks like dart feathers..." Did you see a photo of such contraption?
https://www.bannerbaymarine.com/inde...ct_detail&p=25

This is a unique design. Some are a single piece
olddog57 likes this.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-02-2018
Master Mariner

We run our snub one through the bow line stb chock instead of the anchor roller and this definitely helps. We will use two when the wind and seas are up, but I haven't noticed that the second makes much difference to boat movement, just my sleep.
I have noticed that no matter what, some boats just ride horribly at anchor. Not individual boats, but a series of boats by some manufacturers, which I won't name in the interest of peace. If you've got one of those then you are just stuck, riding sail or not, or you could try anchoring by the stern.
overthehorizon likes this.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in