Splicing and marking anchor rode - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-03-2018 Thread Starter

Splicing and marking anchor rode

As I mentioned on another thread last week, I discovered that the thimble at the end of my anchor rode is rusted to the point of losing all mechanical integrity. I have purchased a replacement. I have 200' of twisted nylon rode, and 100' of it appears to have never been used - previous owner had it coiled over a hook in the anchor locker. The 100' that is actively used is marked every 10' with electrical tape, which has lost its adhesive power and can slide along the rode a bit. The unused 100' is unmarked.

Just like people do with halyards, I am going to reverse my anchor rode and splice the thimble into the unused end of the rode. I will re-mark the entire length of rode. I'm curious how those of you who use twisted nylon rode mark your lines. Is electrical tape still the best stuff? How about small plastic wire ties? Do those chafe off or cause other problems when going through a roller and around a windlass? If using wire ties, should they go around the entire line, or just around one of the three strands?

Do you guys have any other ideas for marking the rode?

Also, I'm debating whether to splice thimbles into both ends of the rode so I have a built-in spare if one spindle rusts badly, or the working end of the line is damaged. (Shallow Chesapeake waters virtually ensure that we'll never use the full 200' unless in an emergency.) Any comments on splicing both ends?

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-03-2018

Re: Splicing and marking anchor rode

We use book binding type tape available at the dollar store. I have found that it sticks longer as the end doesn't lift as easily. I purchase it in red and black...1 red at 10', 2 red at 20', and so on, then 1 red and 1 black at 60', and so on. I also have the legend taped under plastic on the underside of the anchor locker door in case I forget.
post #3 of 20 Old 11-03-2018

I was mostly chain so painted my code every 2 fathoms.(chart in fathoms) but you get the idea.If you have a thimble both ends. you can have a pendant if you have to let it all out in an emergency. Clip a fender (running clear) and cut the pendant Come back later. Or an easy switcharoo if some clown drags down on you and his prop meets your rode Remember in the surf at Cabo some yrs ago sort of scenario. I like prying the rode open a bit and work a leather strip in. Sew the dangles.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-04-2018

a. I would skip the thimble and splice straight to the chain. Saves the shackle and the thimble. No, there is no chafe. Yes, it is just as strong.

b. You really should be cutting the ends and trimming one link every 5 years. I generally cut off about 10 feet of rope, since that is all that seems chaffed. In this way, I gradually work my way up the rode, one of the reasons I cut off so much. But it really isn't that much, since I will only do this a few times during the life of the rode.

c. Latex paint works great for marking, with red bands every 50 feet or so. It will not weaken the rope and lasts a long time. Just drape the rope across and empty box so that you can pain all sides.

d. Do I misunderstand, or did you say you use a windlass? How are you getting the thimble around the windlass? Generally that is a no-go. If this is the case, use an irony splice--MUCH smoother on a windlass.

e. In an emergency, I imagine you would use your second anchor and rode. Or a knot. I doubt you'd be reversing the rode. Just sayin'.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"

Last edited by pdqaltair; 11-04-2018 at 12:32 AM.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-04-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
a. I would skip the thimble and splice straight to the chain. Saves the shackle and the thimble. No, there is no chafe. Yes, it is just as strong...
I was all ready to ditch the thimble and shackle a year or so ago, but heard strong objections over concern about chafe. It would be very nice to splice directly to chain, because it would feed through my windlass much better (especially with a 3-4-5 splice). I generally avoid pulling the chain around my capstan (no gypsy, so I pull by hand once the chain comes onboard), but in an emergency situation it's nice to be able to crank the chain without the shackle taking out a chunk of fiberglass and/or chrome.

As for the claims of no chafe, has Practical Sailor published tests to verify this? If so, please cite the date so I can go look it up.

Rick S., Swarthmore, PA
USCG Certified Captain, OUPV and 50 Ton Master
ASA Certified 101/103/104/105/106

2001 Catalina 34MkII Tall Rig Wing Keel Breakin' Away, Universal Diesel M35B, Mantus 35 lb. anchor, sailing out of Rock Hall Landing Marina
post #6 of 20 Old 11-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I was all ready to ditch the thimble and shackle a year or so ago, but heard strong objections over concern about chafe. It would be very nice to splice directly to chain, because it would feed through my windlass much better (especially with a 3-4-5 splice). I generally avoid pulling the chain around my capstan (no gypsy, so I pull by hand once the chain comes onboard), but in an emergency situation it's nice to be able to crank the chain without the shackle taking out a chunk of fiberglass and/or chrome.

As for the claims of no chafe, has Practical Sailor published tests to verify this? If so, please cite the date so I can go look it up.
Most likely I would have written it. I've been splicing straight to chain for 15 years. Also strongly recommended by Brian Toss and all windlass manufacturers.
https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...t_12172-1.html
The reason there is no chafe, is that since the splice is tight around the link, the chain flexes at the next link; it's easier. So no chafe under the splice.

There are actually two accepted splices. The irony splice is more complex but smoother, and the common backsplice / chain splice, which is bulky but easy (it's on Animated Knots). There is also a woven splice (AKA shovel splice) that is common in the UK but not here. It is prone to chafe. That may be what they meant.

There is a slight increase in corrosion because the splice retains water around the last link, but it would take 10 years to become important.

post #7 of 20 Old 11-04-2018

8 plait nylon will be easier to store and handle.
Splice to chain
fallard likes this.
post #8 of 20 Old 11-04-2018
Master Mariner

We only mark our rode every twenty-five feet, starting at 50. I thought most people who use line just slipped a colored bit of cloth woven through the lay at the various points, color coded for each mark, as we do. Say red for 50, blue for 75, green for 100, 2 reds for 150, etc. Simple, neat and easily renewable.
It really doesn't matter if you splice a second thimble on the bitter end, as that end should be secured to the vessel in the chain locker so that you do not have the whole rode run out in a moment of inattention. If it were to run out or you needed to cut your anchor line and buoy it in an emergency, you would do it at the windlass anyway, so a second thimble would never get on deck.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone
post #9 of 20 Old 11-04-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
We only mark our rode every twenty-five feet, starting at 50. I thought most people who use line just slipped a colored bit of cloth woven through the lay at the various points, color coded for each mark, as we do. Say red for 50, blue for 75, green for 100, 2 reds for 150, etc. Simple, neat and easily renewable....
Many vertical windlasses will either jam on the cloth or snatch it out of the rope faster than a pickpocket. My Lewmar V700 would not accept markers of any type on chain or rope. They get caught in the space between the spring loaded arm and the gypsy. Horizontal windlasses are fine. Thus, we paint both chain and rope.

It's not about tradition or which is better. It's about what works on the new compact, vertical windlasses.

post #10 of 20 Old 11-04-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqaltair View Post
Many vertical windlasses will either jam on the cloth or snatch it out of the rope faster than a pickpocket. My Lewmar V700 would not accept markers of any type on chain or rope. They get caught in the space between the spring loaded arm and the gypsy. Horizontal windlasses are fine. Thus, we paint both chain and rope.

It's not about tradition or which is better. It's about what works on the new compact, vertical windlasses.
I'll take your word for it, but I don't see how a length of nylon sailcloth woven into the strands (even on braid) will catch on a cat head. As for chain, we use a combination of paint and chain markers in various colors as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
chain markers.jpg  

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.” ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in