electric uma - SailNet Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2018 Thread Starter

electric uma

My favorite cute sailing couple had a little discussion about sailing with electric propulsion.

If you don't want to bother watching the whole thing I like his main takeaway.

An electric propulsion motor doesn't replace a diesel motor it replaces a sculling oar.

These kids have been doing it for a few years now so despite making some mistakes they have really made it work.

They have sails rigged both light and heavy to sail in just about anything.
They have an anchor and chain for a boat twice their size.
They are willing to wait for the right weather and tide.

They seem to be a reincarnation of the Pardie's and this guy Ditch the Engine part 2-meet the "Oarclub" founder

It is not for most of us that need to keep a schedule but it is cool that they are making it happen.

The other two couples are not in the water yet so time will tell if they are committed to the electric thing as UMA.
CVAT and elliowb like this.

The lesson from the Icarus story is not about human failing.
It is a lesson about the limitations of wax as an adhesive.
If you have an engineering problem solve it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Re: electric uma

I gave up on Sailing Uma when they did their bathroom remodel. In that episode, they confessed that they don't have a holding tank, and jerry-rigged a 4" PVC pipe in order to meet the letter of the law - despite the fact that they plan to anchor in NDZs along the US coast. Until the remodel, they had been getting by with a 5-gallon bucket and sawdust with a toilet seat.
davidpm and MastUndSchotbruch like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2018
Learning the HARD way...

Oh yeah, their confession was accompanied by their justification that discharging overboard while anchored is "sailors dirty secret." implying that everyone does this. I do not, nor do people that I sail with.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105/106/114/118 Instructor - Also certified in Marine Electrical Systems

post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2018
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Oh yeah, their confession was accompanied by their justification that discharging overboard while anchored is "sailors dirty secret." implying that everyone does this. I do not, nor do people that I sail with.
Well I would say most cruisers do, it is just a matter of reality. Especially where they have been cruising as there are no pump out locations, so dumping is the only option. Some areas in the Bahamas it might actually be hard to even get 3 miles offshore as once your 3 miles from one island your going to be getting within 3 miles of another. So dumping within the 3 mile limit is the only practical solution, unless you go composting head. That said one should still be careful of where you dump, such as not in a reef or other area that has still water like a canal or harbor. Though I do think they should have included a simple gravity style holding tank a bit bigger so when they are in more sensitive areas and or in harbors and inland waterways they could use the tank. They are not hard nor expensive to build into a remodel of the head.

1976 C&C 33
Project boat, lots of work to be done!
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
My favorite cute sailing couple had a little discussion about sailing with electric propulsion.

An electric propulsion motor doesn't replace a diesel motor it replaces a sculling oar.

These kids have been doing it for a few years now so despite making some mistakes they have really made it work.

They have sails rigged both light and heavy to sail in just about anything.
They have an anchor and chain for a boat twice their size.
They are willing to wait for the right weather and tide.

They seem to be a reincarnation of the Pardie's and this guy Ditch the Engine part 2-meet the "Oarclub" founder

It is not for most of us that need to keep a schedule but it is cool that they are making it happen.

The other two couples are not in the water yet so time will tell if they are committed to the electric thing as UMA.
I think there new solution with the lithium ion that will give them about 4 hours of range should be OK. They tried using normal lead acids and I don't think they ever got more than 10 min of range, that is sculling oar range. Not to mention that they did not seem to get more than a couple of months of use with lead acid. The lithium ion batteries cost about what a diesel rebuild would cost so it is to try to eliminate there reliance on fossil fuels, that I applaud them for but it is not for most sailors.

1976 C&C 33
post #6 of 13 Old 11-15-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I think their new solution with the lithium ion that will give them about 4 hours of range should be OK. They tried using normal lead acids and I don't think they ever got more than 10 min of range, that is sculling oar range. Not to mention that they did not seem to get more than a couple of months of use with lead acid. The lithium-ion batteries cost about what a diesel rebuild would cost so it is to try to eliminate there reliance on fossil fuels, that I applaud them for but it is not for most sailors.
Yes, they seem to be hard on batteries. The lithium batteries they packed in very tight with no ventilation so we will see how long they last.

They do seem to manage to get from point a to b somehow though.

post #7 of 13 Old 11-15-2018

They are now into themselves being popular....famous social media whatever.
Seeking and getting freebies.
No logic behind that elec conversion for cruising travel.
The attitude, i guess....not into 'them'.
mbianka likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-16-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Yes, they seem to be hard on batteries. The lithium batteries they packed in very tight with no ventilation so we will see how long they last.

They do seem to manage to get from point a to b somehow though.
Not sure why they had such issues with lead acid batteries. My first set of AGM batteries for my Electric Propulsion system lasted eight years. Actually only one of the batteries started to go south. I replaced all four in 2017 instead of just the failing battery to keep them the same age range. The three good batteries probably could have gone ten plus years. My two 12 volt house bank Gels are still going strong at ten years though.

I had a little faux pas with the new EP batteries. Two were visibly damaged in shipment. So I had them replaced under warranty. I should have rejected all four as I found one of the visibly undamaged batteries was failing this season. I still got through the season with it by going into hybrid mode with the Honda 2000 when the bad battery voltage started to head below 11.8 volts. I'll be replacing it next spring.

I'm still not going for lithium mostly since the price has not really come down as much I thought it would. Also the complexity of needing a BMS (battery management system) adds to more electronics to fail. But, that's just me. The AGM's did a pretty good job at a good price point.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

Last edited by mbianka; 11-16-2018 at 10:11 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-17-2018 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Not sure why they had such issues with lead acid batteries. .
I don't remember the details but they did something known to kill batteries. It was a learning experience for them.
mbianka likes this.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
They are now into themselves being popular....famous social media whatever.
Seeking and getting freebies.
No logic behind that elec conversion for cruising travel.
The attitude, i guess....not into 'them'.
Yea, I get that, but I have watched them since they started, I think literally saw the first episode when it came out. At the time they started I had a deal fall through on a Person 36, and so I kind of identify with their projects. So I can see past the current flow of freebies and paid endorsements as they have been out there working hard to make good quality content. Kind of feels like watching my kids (as I have some older and some younger) growing. I hope they get back out there soon and get back to what they do best. (IE not DIY stuff)

1976 C&C 33

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in