Cleaning control lines - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 11-19-2018 Thread Starter

Re: Cleaning control lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
I wouldve thought double polyester rather than nylon
Brain spasm, on my part. They are indeed double braid poly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 Old 11-19-2018 Thread Starter

I canít say for sure the bleach was even necessary. I didnít try a control. I have to wonder if the weakening is impacted by the amount of bleach used. I used only a tablespoon for a load.

In any event, it the only time theyíve been cleaned in 10 years. The dirt and grime were undoubtedly weakening the line too. Iíve never seen a line like this part in the middle, unless it was chafed. I bet the over engineering will likely accommodate the loss. Iím going to redo the eye splices, as they are minorly chafed inside.

I washed one line at a time. If I had two in there, I think Iíd prefer the mesh bags for each. Pillow cases canít allow as much flow and these lines had some real dirt I would presume would be captured inside a pillow case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-19-2018

I washed my four halyards this fall. I put them in mesh laundry bag, used a half dosage of our regular detergent, and washed them on hot. They came out great. I should have daisy chained them, since they did tangle a bit, but it wasn't too bad.

My halyards are Control DPX from Samson.

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

post #14 of 22 Old 11-19-2018

I'm not sayin' I have not washed lines. I have.
* Not often. 5 years.
* No bleach. Long soak, then wash in bucket or pillow case.
* Treat with water repellent like Nikwax. Or don't even bother washing. It REALLY helps.

Heck, probably 80% of the line I have used in the last 25 years has come from the recycle bin. People throw line away because it is dirty, and some of the racers bin it because it was from last year.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #15 of 22 Old 11-25-2018
The most female moderator

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Somewhere in my past I remember reading that you can clean lines in a household dishwasher. Knots and fraying are not an issue, and dishwashing detergent, supposedly, will not harm the line. I have not tried this, however.
When we had our smaller boat I washed the lines in the clothes washing machine. I decided to skip the mesh bag/pillow case step. BIG MISTAKE. I invented one new giant knot (aka a knotted mess).

The lines were wonderfully clean, however. Just a touch of clothes detergent. No bleach. Dishwasher detergent is mostly bleach.

Donna

Catalina 30 TRBS
Rock Hall, MD
KB3ZCB

If you're helping someone and expecting something in return, you're doing business not kindness.
post #16 of 22 Old 11-25-2018 Thread Starter

One should tie the line into one of these first. No knots after washing for me at all. Some of the links elongated, but that was it. Came right apart.

https://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/

I'm trying to put the new eye splices in this morning, but my fids are on board and my improvised pen cases, etc, are not working well. Looks like I'm ordering a home set of fids. Can't believe how many things I have on the boat and at home. Ugh.
MastUndSchotbruch likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #17 of 22 Old 11-29-2018

I tried washing my jib sheets in a mesh bag in my top-loading washer, and they came out just as dirty as they went in!

I can see how a front-loader might do a much better job.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiedawg View Post
I tried washing my jib sheets in a mesh bag in my top-loading washer, and they came out just as dirty as they went in!

I can see how a front-loader might do a much better job.
Washing machine? How about a 5-gallon paint bucket, or they have those 15 gallon Rubbermaid storage boxes. I would recommend carpet cleaning shampoo, as it is designed to not leave residue and to leave synthetic fibers pliable. Also has a grease cutter and an antifungal agent.

Then you can hoist it over a tree limb or haul it up the halyard on the mast, to let it drip dry.

Last edited by midwesterner; 11-29-2018 at 09:06 AM.
post #19 of 22 Old 11-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
One should tie the line into one of these first. No knots after washing for me at all. Some of the links elongated, but that was it. Came right apart.

https://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/

I'm trying to put the new eye splices in this morning, but my fids are on board and my improvised pen cases, etc, are not working well. Looks like I'm ordering a home set of fids. Can't believe how many things I have on the boat and at home. Ugh.
I tested washing lines secured different ways; whether bucket or machine, the chain sinnet (daisy chain) seemed to best protect the line from damage and allowed it to move around just enough to scrub. It also dries faster.

Writing full-time since 2014
Author--Rigging Modern Anchors

"Keeping a Cruising Boat for Peanuts"
"Faster Cruising for the Coastal Sailor"
"Singlehanded Sailing for the Coastal Sailor"
post #20 of 22 Old 11-29-2018

R&W Ropes has a sale... I bought new reefing lines - 4 of them... from ends... over 200' x 3/8" staset... $80. Good deal...

Old lines will be given to cut up for fender lines... dinghy pennants and so forth.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in