What happens when a boat yard goes belly up? - Page 4 - SailNet Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 51 Old 11-23-2018
Rainwatcher

Re: What happens when a boat yard goes belly up?

The one thing the rich folks I know have in common is that none of them think they're rich. You can be set for life without being rich, and I've noticed a marked tendency to throw the alarm clock away when one reaches that point.

"When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.

Proud to live in a sanctuary city.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-23-2018
Over Hill Sailing Club

Before starting rumors about a marina going belly up, it might be prudent to have some facts.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #33 of 51 Old 11-23-2018 Thread Starter
cdy

It wasn't a rumor - it was a question of what happens if a marina goes belly up? What are the consequences if it does for boats being stored on the hard. My observations are first hand, both in the condition of the place and of the disorganization of the billing. Does this means its going away soon - possibly not however the place is falling apart( even more so than usual) and it gives me concern.

post #34 of 51 Old 11-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Before starting rumors about a marina going belly up, it might be prudent to have some facts.
And please do provide additional or "alternative" facts if you have them
post #35 of 51 Old 11-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
Cdy never identified any specific marina. He clearly asked a hypothetical question. Other people started speculating about where it might be.
post #36 of 51 Old 11-23-2018

cdy, why did you choose this marina in the first place? Location, price?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #37 of 51 Old 11-23-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
cdy, why did you choose this marina in the first place? Location, price?
Read his past posts. He said it was once a good place, but he has started to see some yellow flag/red flag warning signs that it is going downhill as of late.

He said that vagabonds began moving in and the operator quit sending invoices.

As I said previously, I would be quietly planning to have my boat launched, while they are still in operation, and at least be in a slip, or move across the bay.

Last edited by midwesterner; 11-23-2018 at 02:41 PM.
post #38 of 51 Old 11-23-2018 Thread Starter
cdy

My boat is there because that's where I bought it , been doing some work to it and was planning to move it in November but got busy - now probably Feb. I have been around the marina for 10+ years( off and on) - an employee told me last week that if EPA or health inspector ever showed up - they would be shut down - not gossip from other boaters but from a worker. I have kept boats at various boat yards over the years - but have never seen one that allows people to live in trailers scattered about the property ( no sanitation hookup) , and these aren't high end RV's - think more along the lines of Sanford and Son type vehicles/trailers. As I stated above - I would like to see it survive - like to see some money invested in it - I would bet that 50% of the boats are Canadian owned - people who come down - work on them for a week or two then take off for the Bahamas - others only show up every few years - and then there are many boats that never move. Florida has lost a lot of marinas over the past 10 years affordable marinas are hard to come by - this one is more of a storage/ work yard - has some slips but the boats in the slips are mostly used as housing - or have become fixtures with the owners never to be seen.
RegisteredUser likes this.
post #39 of 51 Old 11-25-2018
Over Hill Sailing Club

Correct, op did not mention a specific place. Scuttlebutt can be a dangerous , hurtful thing once it gets going so let's not speculate on location. 'Nuf said.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #40 of 51 Old 11-25-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner View Post
Read his past posts. He said it was once a good place, but he has started to see some yellow flag/red flag warning signs that it is going downhill as of late.
I don't know what thread you've been reading, but that is not what that OP said in this one. He said.....

Quote:
...the whole facility looks more run down than usual...
Quote:
...The marina has always been run on a shoestring budget...
Quote:
...the place is falling apart( even more so than usual)....
Sounds questionable from day one. I guess it's simply where he found his boat, but clearly should move on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in