Craigslist sailboat selling strategies - Page 3 - SailNet Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 Old 11-28-2018

Re: Craigslist sailboat selling strategies

'Expensive/bigger boats attract a more educated buyer'. Now that's an interesting blanket statement.
Arcb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 Old 11-28-2018 Thread Starter
cdy

I owned a Freedom 21 for a short time - will built boat - simple easy to rig and sail - problem is at 21 feet just does not fit well - its not a racer, its not easily trailerable , the draft makes it tough to get close to beach it - very little headroom down below - they made a few that had centerboards - if Freedom would have somehow figured out how to put the mast on a tabernacle - it would be a great trailer - sailor - I sold it - could not justify the slip expense. They generally go for about $2k in Florida - would be a good boat if you had your own dock out back.
post #23 of 59 Old 11-29-2018
Captain Obvious

I dread selling my boat, and that will probably happen next summer. CL will bring out the worst people. Human scum. I don't even care about the price, I got it cheap and used it for many years. Boat owes me nothing. I want to find a handy sailor to love it and sail it. Young enough and a decent person. My objective is finding the boat a good home.The last boat I sold, an 80 year old guy, ex Navy, bought it.Dreamer, but he brought cash. I saw the boat for sale in a marina about 15 years later. Found out the old guy had never even gotten on board once. He was way too old! Boat went down hill and was basically a hull when I found it again, the old guy had never even registered it so it was technically still mine.

I see insanely cheap sailboats out there. I don't know the answer but I will probably take my chances and bite on one next year. In which case, I will probably miss my good old Cat 22, the tank of a boat that never needed anything.

Never give a CL buyer directions to your house! Ever. Pain in the a$$3$ will consider it an open invitation to waste your time and/or visit your home months later. I once had a bunch of dudes show up in my yard a month later as if that was cool.

Sal Paradise - Armchair Circumnavigator

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 11-29-2018 at 10:11 AM.

post #24 of 59 Old 11-29-2018

I've never used the address I actually live at for any official purpose or entry into databases since the mid 80's, for exactly that reason.

Have to act like a criminal or spy if you want any semblance of privacy.
post #25 of 59 Old 11-29-2018

Used craigslist several times to buy and sell boats and other things. Never had an issue. When selling I posted very detailed and honest description, realistic price, and plenty of relevant photos. It could be a matter of location. Rural and small town areas are best.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #26 of 59 Old 11-29-2018

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
I see insanely cheap sailboats out there. I don't know the answer but I will probably take my chances and bite on one next year...
I watch CL a lot. A new boat is still a few years off for me but doing so has given me a pretty good feel for what I see there. I've seen some absolute steals come and go, and invariably the seller is upgrading, or would rather not sell but circumstances changed for them. They want the boat to be used and cared for, they realize the boat wasn't an investment, and the price reflects that they may not need the money (or are not fixated on recovering their costs), but don't want to just give it away.
post #27 of 59 Old 11-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Used craigslist several times to buy and sell boats and other things. Never had an issue. When selling I posted very detailed and honest description, realistic price, and plenty of relevant photos. It could be a matter of location. Rural and small town areas are best.
Best for fewer and saner prospects maybe.

But for getting a better price, I'd think popular / denser urban areas win?
post #28 of 59 Old 11-29-2018
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisscross View Post
Me too. I've been selling stuff continuously on CL for more than 10 years - right now I have nothing listed and that is the first time since '08. I must have sold $100K worth of stuff by now - everything from single bits of hardware to a 43' sailboat.

I've only ever had two kinds of problems - time wasters that don't show up when they say they will and one guy I dealt with at a distance (the only time). I sold him an unrigged parachute sea anchor - lots of pics & description but I got a bunch of whining and insults from him when he "discovered" he had to rig it.

Otherwise it's all been good.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
post #29 of 59 Old 11-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
But for getting a better price, I'd think popular / denser urban areas win?
I wouldnít know. Fortunately I donít live anywhere near one of these
Iím not sure if itís the matter of better price. Maybe you sell stuff faster in urban areas.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
post #30 of 59 Old 11-29-2018 Thread Starter
cdy

Helped my mom sell and older Pearson 30 when my fayerather passed away about 8 years ago - an older couple from 1000 miles away bought it - I have no idea why - they clearly were not in the best physical shape - and both were 70+ they never took it out - put it in dry storage and the boat basically fell apart in the next 6 years - it was in good shape until stored - now its only best for the landfill - saw another older couple buy a boat in Palatka Florida off CL - a boat I looked at - 38 feet - extremely heavy - not set up for easy handling - the man used a cane and the wife was at least 70 - again why they bought it - have no idea - they owned it for 6 months and now back for sale- buyers need to be realistic about what the can handle - as a seller - if they are gung -ho about it - maybe some old dream - its their money.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in