• 3 Post By paulk
  • 6 Post By mbianka
  • 1 Post By Arcb
  • 2 Post By paulk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-28-2018 Thread Starter

Dock
The new Age of Sail is coming

A French company is starting to build sailing cargo vessels. The site is in French but lots of pretty pictures.
https://www.neoline.eu/
Attached Thumbnails
image.png.a5f34d8bac9ce2d9e1b09ee724537dac.png  
Arcb likes this.

No matter where you go, ....
B&B Spindrift 11N
Past Adventures:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-28-2018

Re: The new Age of Sail is coming

Renault is going to use them to deliver cars transatlantic. They figure about a 14 day trip from France to Charleston, then on to Baltimore and St Pierre/Miquelon and back to France. Based on their studies of the wind patterns, they're aiming at 11 knots average speed. The main idea is to cut Renault's carbon emissions for delivering product. The 445 foot freighter will have about a dozen crew. Building is supposed to start in the first quarter of 2019. First crossing voyage expected in 2021. (Speaking French can be useful at times.)
MarkofSeaLife, JoCoSailor and Arcb like this.

Last edited by paulk; 11-28-2018 at 04:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulk For This Useful Post:
JoCoSailor (11-29-2018)
post #3 of 8 Old 11-28-2018

The real idea...is to cut cost...or its not sustainable...real
Viable or not...dunno

post #4 of 8 Old 11-28-2018

If they carried a few passengers I'd be booking a trip. Could even help add to the bottom line. I once booked passage on a Container ship from Houston along the east South American coast and back. Enjoyed it very much!

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 Old 11-28-2018

^^^ If I am reading it right passenger capacity of 12, crew of 14.
mbianka likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-29-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegisteredUser View Post
The real idea...is to cut cost...or its not sustainable...real
Viable or not...dunno
Website claims 50% reduction in fuel costs. They note that the shipping industry in general is reducing average speeds now in order to cut fuel costs. The ships show sails as their primary power with diesel-electric engines as auxiliaries. Their configuration will enable them to carry specialty cargos - pieces up to 200 T, more than 9 meters high - a niche market that may be quite lucrative.
RegisteredUser and mbianka like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
Website claims 50% reduction in fuel costs. They note that the shipping industry in general is reducing average speeds now in order to cut fuel costs. The ships show sails as their primary power with diesel-electric engines as auxiliaries. Their configuration will enable them to carry specialty cargos - pieces up to 200 T, more than 9 meters high - a niche market that may be quite lucrative.
I could see how they will save on fuel costs using sails from my own Electric Propulsion system's operation. I usually start out in light winds with my prop turning just enough to eliminate any prop drag about 10 amps. As the wind picks up along with boat speed I watch the amps start to to drop toward zero. Then watch as it goes positive and starts charging the battery under way. Don't know if this ship will operate the same way. But, it could use a combination of sail and EP to maintain the needed speed or all sail if there is enough wind.

Mike
Currently: Heading to warm waters over the winter on a variety of boats.

post #8 of 8 Old 11-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I could see how they will save on fuel costs using sails from my own Electric Propulsion system's operation. I usually start out in light winds with my prop turning just enough to eliminate any prop drag about 10 amps. As the wind picks up along with boat speed I watch the amps start to to drop toward zero. Then watch as it goes positive and starts charging the battery under way. Don't know if this ship will operate the same way. But, it could use a combination of sail and EP to maintain the needed speed or all sail if there is enough wind.
Neoline's website suggests that they may experiment with battery power, recharging en route with solar or plugging in when docked. Using water power to recharge, as you suggest, or wind, would make a lot of sense.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in