What does "too old to sail mean"? - Page 7 - SailNet Community
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 75 Old 12-07-2018 Thread Starter

Re: What does "too old to sail mean"?

When you are old... whatever that age is.... your body does not react as quickly. Cap calls it agility. We don't walk as quickly or do ANYTHING quickly and smoothly and assuredly as we once did. Some body but parts are simply now working as well. Joints are not a smooth... range of motion is limited. Balance is not only the signal from your ears... but the feedback from your legs etc.... and balance control is very subtle, precise and quick.... when the muscles in the leg and foot are not working quickly your balance will be off, your footing unsteady and you will find yourself requiring more support for balance and leverage. Old adjusts and does so by moving slower and more deliberately... and limiting what can be done. It takes time to get used to but there is no choice.

Some activities demand very quick reaction time. Those activities must be left to the young. For the most part sailing is a slow activity... and can be done with less strength than other activities.
chef2sail, capta and mbianka like this.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it

Last edited by SanderO; 12-08-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 12-07-2018
bell ringer

you are too old to sail when you start looking at power boats or RV's on line thinking "that looks good"

It's OK everyone does it if they live long enough.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 75 Old 12-07-2018

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don0190 View Post
you are too old to sail when you start looking at power boats or RV's on line thinking "that looks good"

It's OK everyone does it if they live long enough.
I didn't know about that statement. I don't see an RV as a negative

I get that you would not understand about the RV thing as your water lockd in and maybe that's all you see , or maybe you've seen everything you wanted to see on the land already.

I haven't....neither has my wife. This country is beautiful and some of it can only be seen from. "land " vehicle. I really don't look at it as an either or. It's not black or white. To me it's not sail or RV. We are definitely going to purchase one. We can have both a sailboat and an RV. For now sailing will take up the majority of our time, with RV being used in the winter when the Chessie is too cold. Being in our mid 60 we are no here near giving up our sailing passion. However my back surgery kind of changed my thinking a little. I CAN see where we may not so easy be physically To h a ndle Haleakula. I suspect SanderO has had similar thoughts by some of his topics recently / posts.

Up to now our direction was to purchase a larger boat and cruise south in the winter when we retire.( Shortly) We will never give up our land house as we want a home base when, ( not should) we age or get really sick or incapacitated . Living on a boat under those conditions doesnt appeal to us. Besides as I said we tend to take the rounded approach and have lots of places we want to see which are landlocked and accessable by RV.

Right now is the oppertune time to purchase an RV price wise as they are the cheapest they have been in years. We don't want a huge Winnebago, just a comfortable 30-35 footer we can tow / hitch to a larger truck. RVs like that are plenty of room for us to explore the US/ Canda / Central and South America staying here we want to and immerse in the culture and geography where ever we travel.

We not giving up Haleakula....just adding to our experiences.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner

post #64 of 75 Old 12-08-2018
bell ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
I didn't know about that statement. I don't see an RV as a negative

I get that you would not understand about the RV thing as your water lockd in and maybe that's all you see , or maybe you've seen everything you wanted to see on the land already.

I'm pretty sure you took my post wrong, but I'm just not up to typing a comeback this morning

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #65 of 75 Old 12-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
For quite a long time I couldn't quite figure out what it was that I had lost, but my ability to stand and walk on deck in almost any conditions without holding on was slipping away. It finally came to me and it was a complete shock; I was losing agility.
Ya know I have experienced this a couple of times & just wrote it off to the overconsumption of alcohol the night before

You're scaring me.
post #66 of 75 Old 12-08-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
For quite a long time I couldn't quite figure out what it was that I had lost, but my ability to stand and walk on deck in almost any conditions without holding on was slipping away. It finally came to me and it was a complete shock; I was losing agility.
I have been doing this boating thing since I was 12 years old, nearly continuously, and like everything else in our lives that changes over a long period very slowly, these changes were happening to me almost unnoticed until something went awry. I think this is where the danger lies for me.
Iíve been thinking along similar lines. Iím 68, how old are you?
chef2sail likes this.

33' Brewer, Murray 33, steel cutter
44' Pape, Steelmaid, cc steel cutter
post #67 of 75 Old 12-08-2018

Its slower to sense, hence reaction is not at previous peak
post #68 of 75 Old 12-09-2018

I have been considering this question since I bought my current boat at age 60. I had never considered it before, but realized there would come a time when I could not handle a 36' sloop. Now 65, there are days when I run out of power to winch the genoa in further when the wind pipes up to 20 knots, but feel mostly unrestricted taking my boat out solo. I even do a few races every year single handed as I really enjoy not having crew to deal with. I also find my balance is not as good. But overall, I can't see stopping until I am at least 70. There is a guy out our club that sails his Nonsuch almost every day in the spring summer and fall and he is in his 80's. When he needs help to do something, he recruits someone, and the community is glad to help. That is the way sailors are.
One of the things that altered my view of this question is when we chartered a Jeanneau 50 DS in the Caribbean a few years ago. She was a lovely yacht (unfortunately lost in the hurricane) and the largest I had ever captained. There were two sailors on board (63 and 67) and two wife/non-sailors. The boat was far easier to handle than I expected and than my 36 footer. It had electric winches on the genoa and one for halyards and also an electric windlass. That combination made it push button sailing most of the time. The other thing that mattered was the stiffness of the boat. My boat has rail in the water no matter what sail in 20-30 knots of wind. The Jeanneau was much more upright and stable in the 25-30 knot days we encountered. That made for much easier and safer movement around the boat. So I would argue that in addition to the luck of how your body ages, it is also the boat and setup of the boat that has a large role in determining how long one can sail. I know I will likely change boats when my C&C starts feeling like too much and look toward something easier to handle and maintain, with more electric assists and keep making whatever changes are needed to keep going as long as I can.
SanderO and chef2sail like this.
post #69 of 75 Old 12-09-2018

When you're young, you have so much strength and stamina that you can accomplish difficult tasks with strength alone. In your later years, when that strength and stamina begin to fade, you realize that you must learn how to use your remaining strength and stamina more efficiently, so that you can achieve the same results as before, with less expenditure of time and energy.

If you treat sail handling as a time and motion study, you find many ways in which you can work smarter and more efficiently, often as well as or better than some younger crew. You also realize, more than ever, that sailing is a team sport that requires the members of the team to coordinate with each other. Many helmsmen, for example, make the jobs of sail handlers much more difficult by sloppy helmsmanship. Better helmsmanship can make the sail handlers' jobs much easier and less physical.
post #70 of 75 Old 12-09-2018
Master Mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormon6 View Post
Better helmsmanship can make the sail handlers' jobs much easier and less physical.
I believe that an older helmsman is likely to be the better helmsman. More experienced, less easily distracted (I once had a friend who couldn't win a race until he put topless women aboard as crew), and more patient.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.
ďBelieve me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.Ē ― Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows

facebook.com/svskippingstone

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in