What does "too old to sail mean"? - Page 8 - SailNet Community
 68Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 75 Old 12-09-2018

Re: What does "too old to sail mean"?

I'm currently out in San Diego where my gal has dragged me to go look at a retirement community up the coast. One of the few that has a view of the ocean. San Diego looks like a great sailing city BTW. Anyway we were discussing how financial planners use to recommend that withdrawing 4% of your retirement savings annually use to be the formula to make sure your money would last hopefully as long as you do.

The new model divides ones retirement years into three parts:
1) The GO GO years. (most money spent traveling)
2) The Slow Go years
3) The No Go years.

I think I'm entering the Slow Go years Sailing wise which I am embracing fully. Just hope those last a long time personally.
SanderO likes this.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mbianka; 12-09-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 75 Old 12-09-2018

So Scotty and I both knew guy that won his Fleet National Championship at 90 years of age. He wasn't so spry and couldn't see worth a darn by then. He did have a good crew and knew how to use them. I suspect he could helm the boat better by feel than I ever will seeing fairly well. 70 in a month and am thinking of turning from racing to cruising, maybe. So do what you can for as long as you can. You won't regret it. You probably will know when to quit.
Scotty C-M and mbianka like this.
post #73 of 75 Old 12-10-2018

Grinding a winch can already be murder on my shoulders (calcium deposits). Even though our boat is push button, I sail on OPBs and bareboats that aren't.

Part of the issue is trying to grind like we were neck and neck in the America's Cup, have the perfect tack, etc. If I'm more measured, insure a posture that doesn't hurt and take things more deliberately than via brute force, I am fine. Older is wiser, out of necessity.
SanderO likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

post #74 of 75 Old 12-10-2018 Thread Starter

Minne this is exactly correct... old salts are not usually in race mode... so the intense frantic grinding of a winch after a tack is really not necessary. When I tack Shiva I use the AP and it turns slower than a helmsman because it can't move the helm hard over as a helmsman can... After all APs are mostly doing small continuous course corrections. So the tack is a slower than non AP tack... and it usually over steers a bit too. This allows me to toss of the working sheet and take most of it up on the new tack and there is almost no "hard" grinding required. When there is a lot of force in the sheet it does take more strength to trim... and then I need to position myself and use more of my back and less of my arms. My mainsheet is 8:1 (and 4:1) so that too does not require much muscle... but it can be taken to a winch. I've gotten a Milwaukee angle drill with a winch bit to raise the main or any lift project... like getting the RIB on the deck.. and of course with all chain I use a windlass for anchoring.

Sailing for me is less a strength challenge than it is as Cap noted an agility and balance problem. Sure sh*t can happen and you're left to manual strength to solve the problem. But most things can be done SMART as opposed to STRONG. Loss of agility, and range of motion and problem joints are inevitable if you live long enough as is failing hearing and sight. Most of these deficits arrive slowly and we can adapt. Yet we will reach a level of performance which makes sailing either too difficult, unpleasant or even dangerous to ourselves or those on board.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
post #75 of 75 Old 12-11-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
With this sentence, you have completely shot holes in your own case.
How exactly is a customer to deal with the results of a poor tech when hundreds of miles out to sea, or even a few miles or so out in the stream?
As for the internet weeding out the poor techs, I should think that it would be 100% apparent the role it could play.
When I was not operating a vessel professionally, I was a service tech in Fort Lauderdale. As I had no shop, just knowledge, and tools, I was a no cure-no pay operator and very, very much in demand, especially by the yacht brokers who knew they could rely on my getting the job done or not, but not BSing anybody.
As for, "On the one hand, I hear some claim "It ain't brain surgery", or "rocket science"; yeah I like that one (even though the work is a craft in a science that is identical to that used on rockets)", I don't think I have ever heard any owner or service tech (good or bad) in over 5 decades of being professionally involved in the marine industry, make this statement about anything other than the physical act of sailing! Marine systems are complicated, especially compared to the same system ashore. You turn on a tap in both cases to get water to wash dishes, but on the boat, there must be a tank, a pump and some sort of pressure sensor to maintain the water flow. On land all that is done far from the consumer.
Furthermore, a qualified and experienced marine tech should, in his own field, definitely be familiar enough with the equipment he purports to be able to repair that 15 minutes would be sufficient, in my professional opinion, to be fairly well into the diagnostics. Heck, I walked aboard a completely dark Danish (every label on the vessel was in Danish, a language I did not speak or read) refrigerated freighter with a helper (who also did not speak or read Danish) and had every system functioning in two days. It took about four hours to get the first generator operating and after that, it was just a matter of relabeling switches through trial and error to get everything else up, labeled and operating, including 4 ammonia refrigeration systems for the cargo holds.
I've found almost all yacht manufacturers use similar, if not the same exact systems, depending on the age and place of the build (pumps, electrical panels, lighting, appliances etc). For instance, there are very few marine refrigeration and air-conditioning manufacturers and any reasonably competent tech in that field should be able to analyze and repair any one of them, pretty much without even needing to read the tech manual.
Too many service personnel today, in all industries, not just the marine industry, have absolutely no comprehension of how the equipment they service works. They simply change parts until they find the one that caused the fault, and the customer must pay for everything that came before the correct part.
A truly competent and capable service tech can weather the occasional poor customer, but a poor service provider is a danger to those he services. You just cannot compare the two.
Please.

I agree that an excellent service provider can weather the odd bad customer...

Just as a competent skipper can weather the odd bad service provider...

...by performing their own due diligence and not hiring them in the first place.

Additionally, a competent boater can ensure that the service contract includes a method of inspection / test / verification before leaving the slip.

Quite frankly, I insist on it as the service provider, to protect myself from the boater.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in