First you tube sailing channel(s) ? - Page 10 - SailNet Community
 84Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Re: First you tube sailing channel(s) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
In Academia the phrase is "Publish or perish". On You Tube it might be "Post or perish". That Patreon money does not roll in unless they produce new content. While some YT ad money may trickle in the Sailing Vlogs will likely see their coffers dwindling rapidly as Patreon money no longer shows up.. It's the You Tube curse for those who choose to fund their cruising life this way. As a retiree I spent enough years working for my money now I try and let it work for me. IMO these days my life is better spent staring out in the cockpit rather than staring at a Laptop screen editing. But, good on them who make a go of it online and have enough of an audience and can keep it going.
Unless one has a heft bank account, sailing off and not working will of course drain that account. If you have an investment which yields income to sustain you travels afloat then there is no need to "work"... and there are only a limited number of ways to make money when you are off the grid sailing to distant shores. Now with the internet the possibilities have increased. So any job that you can do at a desk / free lance with an internet connection... you can likely do from a boat. You certainly can be a photographer, "film maker", writer, perhaps engineer, work in PR/advertising, graphic designer, illustrator, composer, musician, cartoonist, inventor, and so on. It's almost a no brainer that people bought up on/with social media would see the internet as a platform to make a buck and a fit to a cruising boat with a camera and a laptop. Fresh content then becomes the challenge. Platforms like patreon and gofundme are making money from anyone who uses them... nothing to do with ideas and more like how a bank makes money from "transaction" fees.

pay attention... someone's life depends on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post
.....Platforms like patreon and gofundme are making money from anyone who uses them... nothing to do with ideas and more like how a bank makes money from "transaction" fees.
Not following this point. How is Patreon like a bank fee any more than a movie ticket or a netflix subscription?

What's really fascinating is the vlog fees are totally voluntary and still being paid. That's pretty distinct.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #93 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I've heard several vloggers claim that editing takes 40+ hours for each episode, in addition to the actual filming time.
Yep. A week's worth of work seems believable.

As you, I'm fascinated by the business model. It's interesting how it affects living your life, though, turning your own life into a self-produced reality series. Going places and seeing things is better (for me) when shared with someone in any case, and maybe it doesn't matter too much that the "someone" isn't just the person next to you but a larger audience. Hmm.
SanderO and mbianka like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #94 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Quote:
Not following this point. How is Patreon like a bank fee any more than a movie ticket or a netflix subscription?

What's really fascinating is the vlog fees are totally voluntary and still being paid. That's pretty distinct.
You misunderstood or I wasn't clear... these are services to get money to people and THESE internet services obvious make money by charging fees.

post #95 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
Yep. A week's worth of work seems believable.

As you, I'm fascinated by the business model. It's interesting how it affects living your life, though, turning your own life into a self-produced reality series. Going places and seeing things is better (for me) when shared with someone in any case, and maybe it doesn't matter too much that the "someone" isn't just the person next to you but a larger audience. Hmm.
Sharing your adventure to friends and loved ones via social media is super. To "sell this" makes it a business and raises the bar on content and production values and it may become less of just sharing where you've been to sharing what you believe people will pay to see.
Mikael likes this.

post #96 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Dock

Quote:
I've heard several vloggers claim that editing takes 40+ hours for each episode, in addition to the actual filming time.

I fully agree with Mike's perspective. I have zero interest in sitting in front of a laptop, aboard my boat. I also don't want to have to think about the right footage, during every experience I have either. I take pics, mostly on my cell phone, when the moment inspires me. I'll say, some are pretty good. But that's doing it for joy, not for work.
My first job in TV was making 4 minute lifestyle segments for a weekly program. I was the writer/producer/director/presenter. With me working on each was a expert editor; sound crew of 1 person and a camera operator. We all worked together for a few years. So we were a pretty good team
One cameraman I would use for city stuff and another (an Aboriginal) for rural and country stuff.

First I would research the story, go to the location to check it, arrange the interview etc.
Then pre-write the segment
With script I would grab the expert camera crew and sound guy, lighting kit, sound equipment etc and go do the shoot. 4 minutes will take half a day if everything is easy: Interview, overlay and cut-aways.
Then I would go through the tapes and write the segment and do a rough cut including a digital time code file.
Then book the editor in the (expensive) editing suite and give (her) the time code file and watch the computer assemble it as the rough cut and then the editor would go through every cut and transition and make them viewable and lay in the music and sound. We worked together for a few years but it still took exactly 1 hour per minute plus an extra hour. So 5 hours, over half a day in the editing suite.
So it took, basically 35 to 40 man-hours to make 4 minutes that people wont immediately switch off.
This was the fastest I have ever worked.

Everyone was a professional.

I don't doubt a very skilled amateur with good kit in camera and computer can do it in the same time.

But as others have said, did you come away to work, or did you come away to relax?

I have done a few, not very many, videos on the boat and to eliminate the work I do the whole episode in 1 shot. It takes quite a bit of preparation and then adlibbing the prewitten words and getting it all onto tape at once... each video takes a few takes to get it right. The camerawork by the nature needs to be very loose, stylisticly so. that means its not for many audiences and definitely not suitable for larger screens or for broadcast TV... but can be a bit of fun in the watching.

I made 7 over the first 3 years of cruising. to make any money I would have needed to make 150 in that same time.

Heres an example

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

People can say they want freedom, but offer them the keys to what chains them, a map to where they want to go,
And they'll turn it down for the cell they know
post #97 of 108 Old 01-09-2019
美國佬

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
My first job in TV was making 4 minute lifestyle segments for a weekly program. I was the writer/producer/director/presenter. With me working on each was a expert editor; sound crew of 1 person and a camera operator. We all worked together for a few years. So we were a pretty good team
One cameraman I would use for city stuff and another (an Aboriginal) for rural and country stuff.

First I would research the story, go to the location to check it, arrange the interview etc.
Then pre-write the segment
With script I would grab the expert camera crew and sound guy, lighting kit, sound equipment etc and go do the shoot. 4 minutes will take half a day if everything is easy: Interview, overlay and cut-aways.
Just curious - at what stage do you plan the cut-aways (I assume these are the ancillary shots of dolphins jumping, halyards slapping, etc.)? Are they planned at all?
MarkofSeaLife likes this.

1964 Whitby 25
Severna Park, Maryland
post #98 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

What was your audio arrangement? There was very little wind noise.
post #99 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Quote:
Interesting that Delos remains radio silent on YouTube. 3 weeks since any content, other than announcing their engagement 2 weeks ago.

Television series all have seasons and take extended breaks between them, to create content. Something tells me that YouTube isn't going to work that way for as long. Couple of weeks is fine, I'm sure. However, the business model is relying on hundreds or thousands of viewers sending in small amounts of money. They seems like an audience that could be easily converted, if you don't stay fresh with them.
Quite right. Drake Paragon dropped off my radar after he disappeared for months and went seasonal. Plenty of other videos out there to fill the void for me both sailing related and non sailing that keep me interested over the winter when I'm not sailing.

Mike
Currently: Enjoying Summer's sailing season

post #100 of 108 Old 01-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanderO View Post

I wouldn't mind a Sailing YT showing one island after another like a cruising guide... select the island from a catalog.
This is a lot of what I do. I have about 30+ videos giving reviews of different boating destinations. Mine arent neecessarily sailing destinations as I use canoes and kayaks as well. I have over 30 vids reviewing mostly National Park destinations in Canada, mostly islands and historic lockstations.

The location reviews do get some views, generally in the 250-10000 view range. There are some problems with this approach. The potential viewership is pretty small. Generally the viewership for a location review is going to need to be both a boat owner and have some level of interest in the area. Not exactly a recipe for viral videos or making money. Which doesnt matter to me, because my channel isnt monetized in any way, but would certainly matter to some one trying to fund their cruising lifestyle.

Another thing with location reviews is the granularity required. For a real boater, a video reviewing a location, like say Cuba, it wouldnt do to simply review the island, you would have to review inidividual marinas and anchorages. Which would be a lot of videos. It took me an entire season of filming and editing to capture the lockstations on the Rideau Canal, which is only 125 miles long.
SanderO likes this.

Last edited by Arcb; 01-09-2019 at 01:22 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in